PDA

View Full Version : Do multi's lose alot of tension?

tennisfreak15347
07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
This was one factor that didn't cross my mind for a while. I was playing with sensation strings, and they've dropped from 58 lbs to about 50-52 within 2 months of 3-4 days/week playing. Do multi's lose more tension than synthetic gut? I know that the jollyroger guide says that multi's hold tension better, but my double's partner argues that it does not. Any thoughts here?

bladepdb
07-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Multis do hold tension better.

The fact that the string has been in your racquet for 2 months with 3-4 days of play/week is the key reason why it has lost so much tension. Even if you're a mild hitter, multis don't have a high durability so they will start to move around, fray, etc., all factors leading to loss of tension (in addition to just simply playing).

In fact I'm surprised you got 2 months out of it...I'd probably last 2 weeks with a multi before I would need to cut it out, and I'm only a 4.0 player :D

Valjean
07-10-2008, 11:45 AM
You probably haven't got a means of telling how far your tension has dropped, but one rule of thumb can be restring when your tension loss is at 20%. I assume, though, that the question arises in your case due to some play problem you think is due to tension loss. Two months really isn't too long for how long you play. String manufacturers say normal play life for most nylon-based strings is 30-40 hours. Check the depth of the notches at the intersection of the crosses, too; if their depth is at or close to 40%, they're close to breaking.

Now, all that said, there are multis with better tension maintenance than Sensation, which is an old string at this point--and they cost more for it...

Stan
07-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Some hold tension better and others far worse. Multis are all over the place in terms of tension maintenance and much depends on the resins used in the manufacturing process. I would say in general multis do not hold tension as well as solid core synthetic gut strings, but there are some that clearly outperform the solid core synthetics.