PDA

View Full Version : Is an unstrung racquet stiffer than a strung one?

Mansewerz
07-10-2008, 08:12 PM
I remember Nickb mentioning that he wanted to get the Vantage demo in 70RA so when it was strung, it was to his liking.

From his previous posts, and signatures, I noticed his racquet to be a Fischer Pro number 1, a 60RA racquet.

So I'm wondering, does the racquet become more flexible? If I wanted a vantage with a stiffness of 62 RA, would I also get around 70RA?

How much more flexible does it become?

Or is Nick just trying new things?

smarion2
07-10-2008, 08:25 PM
i dunno I could be wrong but it makes more sense that it gets more stiff after you string it. Like on a car when you put in a sway bar it add's stiffness to the frame. Maybe theres something i'm not seeing but I dont see how adding more pressure and supports could make the frame more flexible

bigmatt
07-11-2008, 03:15 AM
It's a mystery to me why, but a racquet will measure stiffer before stringing than after on a Babolat RDC. Some only lose a point or two of flex, some lose up to 10%. Head Radicals seem to be the worst.

nickb
07-11-2008, 04:16 AM
I remember Nickb mentioning that he wanted to get the Vantage demo in 70RA so when it was strung, it was to his liking.

From his previous posts, and signatures, I noticed his racquet to be a Fischer Pro number 1, a 60RA racquet.

So I'm wondering, does the racquet become more flexible? If I wanted a vantage with a stiffness of 62 RA, would I also get around 70RA?

How much more flexible does it become?

Or is Nick just trying new things?

Hey

I was actually trying stiffer frames at the time. To me the vantage 95 at 70RA plays like 65RA strung. Most frames lose at least a couple of RA points when strung.

Im still not 100% sure which spec I am going with but they will be 63RA.

Nick

0d1n
07-11-2008, 04:21 AM
See http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1888169&postcount=8
for a reason on why the stiffness measurement is different after the racquet is strung.
Also ... this entire thread might help you with some questions you may have -> http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1888169&highlight=unstrung+strung+stiffness#post1888169

Mansewerz
07-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Hey

I was actually trying stiffer frames at the time. To me the vantage 95 at 70RA plays like 65RA strung. Most frames lose at least a couple of RA points when strung.

Im still not 100% sure which spec I am going with but they will be 63RA.

Nick

Oh that explains it.