07-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Nadal/Moya/Corretja - Babolat
Ferrero (used Head for one year)/Costa - Prince

Clavet used to play with Head but switch to Babolat

Lopez - Wilson

Robredo - Dunlop

Buregura (sp) - Major then Yonex

All I rememeber is Berrastagui (sp) and E.Sanchez, who use PC600 of some sort

Interestingly, some spanish-trained player, like Murray and Selevanta Krueintstov (sp) use Head

any thought?

Alexio92
07-11-2008, 04:28 AM
Head dont sponsor any spanish pros because they already have a racquet sponsor maybe?

BluDiamond
07-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Head sponsor lots of tennis events, academies, players etc in the UK. Maybe in Spain it is more dominated by Babolat as this is what many Spanish players already use, hence people like to have the same equipment??

JW10S
07-11-2008, 01:50 PM

Lopez - Wilson

Robredo - Dunlop

Interestingly, some spanish-trained player, like Murray and Selevanta Krueintstov (sp) use Head

any thought?Several of the top Spanish players on the WTA use HEAD. Emilio and Javier Sanchez used HEAD as well as Sergio Casal and HEAD is a major sponsor of the Sanchez/Casal Academy where a lot of current players from other countries have trained or still train. HEAD is well represented in Spain.

cknobman
07-11-2008, 01:51 PM
because head sucks

vsbabolat
07-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez and Ivan Navarro are two Spanish players that I can think of that use Head racquets on the ATP Tour. While Anabel Medina Garrigues and Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez are two players Spanish on the WTA Tour that I can think of.

shavenyak
07-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Probably because Head traditionally has a dense string pattern which doesn't generate as much spin as an open one. Since Spain is mostly clay, spin generation is key.

Josherer
07-11-2008, 06:31 PM
becuase head is garbage :)

nalk7
07-12-2008, 05:53 AM
As a Spaniard I can give you the answer. Its because of Carlos Moya and his success with babolat. People here try to follow what their national idol uses. Babolat dominates the spanish market right now, and with Rafael Nadal, this trend will continue for a long time. BTW I play wilson, not babolat (but started out with one :p)

Dan007
07-12-2008, 08:00 AM
almost 98% of the french players use head

127mph
07-12-2008, 08:32 AM
yep all the french took the head racquet sponsorships except beneteau and matheiu(used to be with head)

cmb
07-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Tati Rascon, Oscar Hernandez, Hector Ruiz, Alex Calatrava. and a host of others. While many players use head in spain, there are a higher amount of players using babolat. Also many Spanish guys use technifibre, it is sort of in between the head prestige and babolat. so tweener frames ;)

nalk7
07-12-2008, 11:25 AM
almost 98% of the french players use head

spain is not france my friend ;)

ThA_Azn_DeViL
07-12-2008, 11:26 AM
who cares about head when youve got wilson :twisted:

nalk7
07-12-2008, 11:30 AM
who cares about head when youve got wilson :twisted:

touche :)

LPShanet
07-12-2008, 12:58 PM

Lopez - Wilson

Robredo - Dunlop

any thought?

I think you all may be reading into the situation a little too far. While it's true that Babolat has been popular there in recent years due to the success of a few top players, that influences consumers primarily, and not other pros. The real reason is....drumroll please...coincidence. In the past, quite a few Spanish players have used Head, and in the future they may again.

The way sponsorships on the tour work is that the top players from each country, as well as a few other especially charismatic people, get paid to use racquets. Almost all the others just get free frames, not money. Head is the most popular racquet overall on tour because they have a good pro room/customization program and very good consistency in their pro room. So many pros use them without being paid. Head only pays a very small number of pros to play with their racquets, and it just happens that right now none of them are Spanish. However, some of them used to be (e.g. Sanchez and Berasategui, as mentioned by another poster.)

Many of the other Spanish players mentioned at the top of the thread have paid deals so they use what they're paid to. Head won't pay them as much, or they already have other contracts, so they use these brands. This applies, to Nadal, Moya, Ferrer, Robredo and Verdasco in particular because they are current or former top players. In Lopez's case, even though he's lower ranked, he's charismatic enough that he actually sells racquets, so Wilson pays him.

There's no bigger mystery here to be solved.