PDA

View Full Version : Hitting too many long balls. Help me decide what modifications to do

bugmenot
07-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Brief history: For years I played with light, heady heavy frames and for years I had on-again/off-again shoulder pain/discomfort when playing tennis. I did a bunch of research on comfortable frames and bought a prokennex 7g. The pain has completely evaporated. I never get arm/shoulder pain. So it's true, that racquet is extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, in it's current state, it seems a bit too powerful?

I strung the racquet with full yonex 850 tour super at 60 lbs. I use a semi-western grip and have a fast swing speed and put decent spin on the ball. The problem is, despite all this, I still find myself hitting the ball long way too easily. My confidence with my forehand is shot because I'm so scared about hitting it long.

I'm thinking about trying a different string set-up to take off some of the power. What do you think? Is this a good idea to try? I'm thinking of maybe stringing full yonex 850 again, but this time doing a higher tension-like say 64-65 lbs. Or maybe it's time I tried a hybrid. Should I try gut/multi on main and lux on crosses? Or should I try lux on mains, syn gut on crosses?

consistency wins
07-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Signum Pro Poly Megaforce 17L (1.19)

I love this string in the mains. I know you have had shoulder pain and it is a poly, but I have had numerous shoulder injuries. I have been playing with this string in a MG Radical MP for about a month four times a week pain-free. I would highly recommend it as I can go for my shots without fear of going for too much.

bugmenot
07-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Note: when I first got the racquet about 6 months ago I did get some lessons to get my form where it needed to be, since I hadn't used a racquet like this before.

bugmenot
07-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Signum Pro Poly Megaforce 17L (1.19)

I love this string in the mains. I know you have had shoulder pain and it is a poly, but I have had numerous shoulder injuries. I have been playing with this string in a MG Radical MP for about a month four times a week pain-free. I would highly recommend it as I can go for my shots without fear of going for too much.

Yeah I am nervous about my shoulder, but since this frame has been so comfortable and I've had zero shoulder issues since I got it, I'm probably willing to experiment with rougher strings now. If the shoulder acts up again, I can always go back to full multis.

Valjean
07-12-2008, 04:03 AM
Try out Wilson's new Super Spin Hexagonal now, then. Here's the playtest and you should find it interesting, too: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2007/05/wilson_super_spin_16.html. You can also use lead tape to fine-tune the racquet's balance, swing and overall weight if you're up to it or maybe someone you know can help you do that.

Richie Rich
07-12-2008, 04:13 AM
other than going to a stiffer poly why don't you try a firmer multi with a thinner gauge to get a little more bite on the ball?

that said, string won't help you much if it's your stroke mechanics at fault for the ball sailing long.

smirker
07-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Brief history: For years I played with light, heady heavy frames and for years I had on-again/off-again shoulder pain/discomfort when playing tennis. I did a bunch of research on comfortable frames and bought a prokennex 7g. The pain has completely evaporated. I never get arm/shoulder pain. So it's true, that racquet is extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, in it's current state, it seems a bit too powerful?

I strung the racquet with full yonex 850 tour super at 60 lbs. I use a semi-western grip and have a fast swing speed and put decent spin on the ball. The problem is, despite all this, I still find myself hitting the ball long way too easily. My confidence with my forehand is shot because I'm so scared about hitting it long.

I'm thinking about trying a different string set-up to take off some of the power. What do you think? Is this a good idea to try? I'm thinking of maybe stringing full yonex 850 again, but this time doing a higher tension-like say 64-65 lbs. Or maybe it's time I tried a hybrid. Should I try gut/multi on main and lux on crosses? Or should I try lux on mains, syn gut on crosses?

I had the same dilemma as you with balls sailing on me at the worst time in a point. My lack of consistency was infuriating. I was using syn gut/ multis strung at 55lbs. I put a poly in at the same tension (BA 1.22) and what a difference. No longer was I spraying balls everywhere. I could hit out with confidence as my stringbed response was so much more predictable.

So far so good. I don't find BA any more jarring on my arm than the syn gut I was using but if that concerns you put BA (or another soft poly) in the mains and a soft syn gut as a cross. This will soften the response and also add some touch and playability. I find volleys easier with a hybrid too.

Hope this helps and happy experimenting

travlerajm
07-12-2008, 07:24 AM
This is a problem that is easily fixed with the right amount of lead tape.

A few grams of lead at the butt will soften the impact, add a little spin, and make your shots land shorter.

WBF
07-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Don't even consider working on your actual game. The equipment is obviously the problem!

bugmenot
07-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Don't even consider working on your actual game. The equipment is obviously the problem!

*sigh* I was just asking for some advice. I don't understand the need to leave a sarcastic, condescending reply.

Like one of my post up above says, I have taken a few lessons. Over the last 6 months I have been working on my game. I just want to experiment with different strings. Is it so wrong to experiment with my equipment AND continue to work on my game to try to improve as much as possible?

cattledog
07-14-2008, 03:21 AM
Try to develop your technique. add some topspin to your shots which will allow same power with the correction required to land those long balls in.
Get in position early, stay down on the shot, hitting from low to high and kep your eye on the ball.

jackcrawford
07-14-2008, 06:47 AM
*sigh* I was just asking for some advice. I don't understand the need to leave a sarcastic, condescending reply.

Like one of my post up above says, I have taken a few lessons. Over the last 6 months I have been working on my game. I just want to experiment with different strings. Is it so wrong to experiment with my equipment AND continue to work on my game to try to improve as much as possible?
Ball going long is usually a sign you are hitting late, this can easily happen if you are swinging a heavier frame than your swing is grooved to, adding even one gram of lead is the last thing you want to do.

Kevo
07-14-2008, 07:37 AM
If you're racquet was strung on a constant pull machine, I would say try 3lbs. higher tension and see how that feels. If it was done on a crank, try 6lbs. higher and see how that works.

At some point going tighter with the tension will make your frame feel "boardish", but it will be a different tension depending on how the frame was strung. Normally a pound or two below "boardish" is where you'll hit the sweetspot on control, but it does vary. If that doesn't help any, then you will need to take a look at you're strokes.

I played with Yonex 850 for some time, and I found it to be an excellent string all around. My only complaint was durability. The 850 Pro played great even at 50lbs. I thought the plain 850 got a little loose around 54lbs.

Good Luck.

nyc
07-14-2008, 08:45 AM
I would suggest you try to hybrid your setup and try a soft co-poly like Weisscannon Silverstring in your mains. That should cut the power just a tad and increase ball bite.

Zach
07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
If you're sure it's not the fault of your mechanics, I would strongly recommend a hybrid of BA and the Yonex 850 or another, possibly stiffer, multi.

ronalditop
07-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I have the same problem. before i was using a synthetic grip with and OG, now im using three OG with no grip. the balance has change and im hitting loong balls. but i want to mantain feel. i was thinking maybe getting a babolat leather grip and a OG on top, but maybe is going to be too big for my hand. should I raise the string tension? im currently using a LM prestige MP with prince syn gut dura 17 strung at 58. my racquet string tension level is 52-62. will be ok if i raise it to 62? or should i just go for leather grip?

YULitle
07-14-2008, 08:35 PM

This is what I was thinking at first. :D I was thinking, "modification is an odd way to characterize a change in hitting style through practice. very mechanistic." :lol:

YULitle
07-14-2008, 08:37 PM
If you're racquet was strung on a constant pull machine, I would say try 3lbs. higher tension and see how that feels. If it was done on a crank, try 6lbs. higher and see how that works.

Why.... would the tension adjustment depend on the machine? (sorry to hijack the thread)

2nd_Serve
07-14-2008, 10:25 PM
If you could get a new racket, just get the Pro Kennex Redondo. It has a lot of control. If you can't, then use some spinny strings, or stiff ones. Since that racket's pretty soft, I'm sure it won't be too harsh on your arm. If it is, you could just add a vibe damp.

Also, you could try switching your grip to a western? Just a thought.

smirker
07-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Why.... would the tension adjustment depend on the machine? (sorry to hijack the thread)

Due to the tension differential between CP and crank? Is this a myth or does it only exist with a Dropweight machine vs a CP?

Bud
07-15-2008, 12:16 AM

The bottom line is your form needs work. Either take a little oomph off the ball or work to incorporate more topspin into your swing. Try rotating your grip around just slightly so it's closer to full western and follow through over your shoulder. Also, bend your knees to get low on the ball.

As far as string, because of your shoulder... you need something soft in the mains. Try natural gut mains at 55# and soft poly crosses at 48#. This will still play fairly easy on your shoulder but will allow you to take a larger cut on the ball without it flying so easily. It will feel more muted than your current setup, though.

Bud
07-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Due to the tension differential between CP and crank? Is this a myth or does it only exist with a Dropweight machine vs a CP?

Constant pull and drop weight are very similar. For the most part, a drop weight is constant pull.

The lockout machines pull at a set tension and do not take into account any string stretching that occurs as tension is continuously applied. If you pre-stretch the string and then string on a lockout, it will be closer to constant pull.

YULitle
07-15-2008, 06:15 AM

There should be little difference between CP and Dropweight (mainly because a dropweight IS CP.) BUT, the tension difference is only if you are switching machines. Since he is not switching machines, there's no reason to adjust.

ronalditop
07-15-2008, 10:12 AM
one question. if I put weight on the handle of my racquet, will it lose power?
i need more control on my racquet so i was deciding between raising the tension 4 pounds or putting some weight on the handle to make it more headlight.
please help me. thanks

PD: please dont tell me "maybe you have bad technique", because I have a good backhand and still the balls are landing a little off the court.

Bud
07-15-2008, 02:23 PM
There should be little difference between CP and Dropweight (mainly because a dropweight IS CP.) BUT, the tension difference is only if you are switching machines. Since he is not switching machines, there's no reason to adjust.

Some would disagree with you... because of the fact that the weight must be lifted occasionally to ratchet or to loosen the string (poly and kevlar)... but once it's re-adjusted... it's then constant pull.

Bud
07-15-2008, 02:25 PM
i need more control on my racquet so i was deciding between raising the tension 4 pounds or putting some weight on the handle to make it more headlight.
please help me. thanks

PD: please dont tell me "maybe you have bad technique", because I have a good backhand and still the balls are landing a little off the court.

It may seem to swing lighter with more handle weight... definitely will not be less powerful, though. Static weight will rise, although... technically swingweight may stay the same.

ronalditop
07-15-2008, 04:17 PM
It may seem to swing lighter with more handle weight... definitely will not be less powerful, though. Static weight will rise, although... technically swingweight may stay the same.

then is not true that head light racquets are less powerful than head heavy racquets?

YULitle
07-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Some would disagree with you... because of the fact that the weight must be lifted occasionally to ratchet or to loosen the string (poly and kevlar)... but once it's re-adjusted... it's then constant pull.

I agree that there may be differences between drop-weight and electric CP, but my main point was that when switching string tension due in order to alter power, the machine need not be considered, unless you are switching that too.

smirker
07-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Constant pull and drop weight are very similar. For the most part, a drop weight is constant pull.

The lockout machines pull at a set tension and do not take into account any string stretching that occurs as tension is continuously applied. If you pre-stretch the string and then string on a lockout, it will be closer to constant pull.

Thanks for the explanations. Fills up a few more gaps in my limited knowledge of stringing. I want to start stringing but want to research the topic thoroughly first so good to get insight from guys who know their stuff:)

Cenc
07-16-2008, 01:06 AM
i havent read the topic, just title but maybe u can either play with more spin or take some racket with smaller head size and heavier although its more difficult and expansive change. i suggest more top spin :)

baek57
07-16-2008, 11:54 AM
please help me. thanks

you cannot decrease power by adding weight. the only way to decrease power by weight modification is to take weight off, which is a hassle.

hoodjem
07-16-2008, 12:11 PM
How many racquets do you have?

If you have more than one, try pushing the tension on a full-bed of Yonex 850 up to 63, and with a second racquet try Lux mains with Yonex 850 crosses at 57/60.

See which works better or causes no pain.

AJK1
07-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Sorry to disappoint you, but you're problem is not any of your gear, but it is your technique. Go get some lessons and it will be cured.

Mansewerz
07-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Sorry to disappoint you, but you're problem is not any of your gear, but it is your technique. Go get some lessons and it will be cured.

Agreed, I didn't even read this thread, check your technique first.

cattledog
07-30-2008, 07:53 PM
please help me. thanks

raising the string tension will give more control. So maybe this minor adjustment will help. If the balls are going a litlle long, use more top spin.

Alafter
07-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Your performance is probably going to vary a lot from session to session compared to players who have played for years.

Dont worry about it. In the coming weeks, you will probably find that you have played some fantastic forehands in those sessions. And some really bad ones, like now.

c_hari_c
07-31-2008, 01:56 PM

Try to hit with a PRO and ask him to analyze your strokes. While strings and equipment can cause balls to fly long, most of it has to do with your technique. I agree with other posters regarding adding more top spin to your groundies. That would make your balls dip quicker than flat strokes. Also you can clear the net by 2 feet if you use good top spin and still land the balls deep.
If you think you have the right technique, then start experimenting strings/rackets/grips, etc. Also try to stick with one racket/one string so that you get into a groove.

Il Mostro
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Step to the ball -- hit low to high. Your shots will drop in.