PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid string with different gauges..

charaseac
07-12-2008, 12:18 AM
So yeah, i tried hybrid with poly gauge 17 on the main and syn gut 16 on the cross. Theoritically, im using thicker syn gut cross so that the poly wont "eat" the syn gut. Thing is, it feels a little board like... Is it just me or it's generally a bad idea?

Oh i use CF 17 main Pro supex Syntethic gut Spiral Flex 16 cross on an AG200 18 x 20. I know that dense string pattern using thicker gauge = boardy feeling.. so is it because the different gauge or the dense pattern?

rorourboat320
07-12-2008, 06:06 AM
i do the same thing. i use big ace 17g on the mains at 56lbs and a syn gut 16g on the crosses at 58lbs. have you tried lowering your tension on your cross? maybe try dropping it a pound or two b/c the recommended tension is having your crosses 2-3 lbs tighter

charaseac
07-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Will try.. The thing is, it feels boardy after a while, not right away.. Thanks, will give it a try then

Loco4Tennis
07-13-2008, 04:45 AM
the problem is the strings, tension and i guess also the racquet head size you have them on, but,,, you cannot change the latter as easy as tension or gauge of string
i also have a very simlar setup as you
i have the CF 17g mains @ 54lbs and the forten nylon 16g crosses @ 58lbs
my issues is that the crosses feel a little springgy and the mains alittle loose also
i am going to have to up the mains by 2lbs and the crosses 2lbs also, thus having mains-17gCyberFlash@56lbs and crosses-16gFortenNylon@60lbs
every string is built different, thus making it feel different to diff people at different tensions, finding you right setup is trial by feel,
my suggestion, try droping the tension by 2lb or 3lb at least, then you'll notise a slight change and possible dial in your tension
question- you said "board like feel", is that when you hit your ground strokes, which is the mains,, or when you volley, which is your crosses
once you answer that, is when you'll know which tension you need to lower
hope that helps

mtommer
07-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Will try.. The thing is, it feels boardy after a while, not right away.. Thanks, will give it a try then

I've been asking around town here because I've been getting the same thing. The general consensus is that the strings are basically dead. Poly doesn't apparently last more than a few weeks if you do a lot of hitting. I even started a thread here about strings that maintain their playability. I didn't have this problem when I was using Gamma TNT2 Fusion Plus. You can't really do much but cut the strings out and get a fresh string job, at least, that's what I've found through my experience anyway.