PDA

View Full Version : Out of curiosity... absolute lowest rating for a Div I walkon?

Nanshiki
07-12-2008, 03:51 AM
If by some chance I decided to go back to my alma mater and get a second degree (it's a low-ranked Div. I school), what's the absolute lowest NTRP rating typically considered for a walkon with four years of eligibility?

Just curious... I know I'm nowhere near college varsity team level. But seeing as how our team is all Russians (except for one or two guys), you'd think they'd welcome some new Americans...lol

Nanshiki
07-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Lol, I'll take that as a "If you don't know, you don't need to know."

10isDad
07-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Coaches don't give a crap about NTRP ratings.

ihearit1st
07-13-2008, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't worry about NTRP. Just keep training and working hard. You do not have 4 years of eligibility remaining though. You have 1 year from the time you enroll in college to begin your eligibility. Since you've already got one degree, I'm guessing you're 20+. And Division 1 rules don't allow you to begin your eligibility that late unless you were in the military. Some players get away with starting later because they graduate high school at 19, then wait a year to start school. But if you've enrolled in a college you only have a year to begin your eligibility, and 5 years to finish it. So you could still walk on and practice with the team but could never play a match.

Nanshiki
07-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Coaches don't give a crap about NTRP ratings.

I know, but I'm asking as a basic guideline for an unranked player.

Nanshiki
07-13-2008, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't worry about NTRP. Just keep training and working hard. You do not have 4 years of eligibility remaining though. You have 1 year from the time you enroll in college to begin your eligibility. Since you've already got one degree, I'm guessing you're 20+. And Division 1 rules don't allow you to begin your eligibility that late unless you were in the military. Some players get away with starting later because they graduate high school at 19, then wait a year to start school. But if you've enrolled in a college you only have a year to begin your eligibility, and 5 years to finish it. So you could still walk on and practice with the team but could never play a match.

Well that kind of sucks, seeing as how I never even played any sports in college (except practicing tennis, and I didn't start that until I was a senior).

ihearit1st
07-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Well that kind of sucks, seeing as how I never even played any sports in college (except practicing tennis, and I didn't start that until I was a senior).

I know. But practicing and working out with the team can be very rewarding. Good luck.

35ft6
07-13-2008, 01:28 PM
I've seen 4.5's on D-1 teams, maybe even a 4.0. Not all D-1 teams are UCLA or Baylor.

Nanshiki
07-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Funny enough, I went to a meet-and-greet event with the teams at the local courts at the school a few months back, and I couldn't even get one of the guys (a Russian) to consider hitting with me (I was with a friend). Like he's got anything better to do (I'm not *that* bad). We did play doubles though... but obviously he wasn't playing seriously.

Still kind of frustrating though. I'd rather have my pipe dreams crushed sooner rather than later so as to save me some time.

JLyon
07-14-2008, 05:05 AM
when you get on campus, just go meet with the coach and ask about walking-on or at the very least being a practice partner. What is the worst that could happen? The coach could just say no thanks, but asking will not hurt anything.

SoCal10s
07-17-2008, 11:29 AM
coaches love guys like you , try asking them with seriousness and they will find a spot on the team for you.. you can be like the manager/player/advisor ect. to the rest of the guys on the team.. if you show your passion to the coaches,they will bring you in...
but if you really want to just play tennis,then I suggest a good city college program... I think your status may be ok to play on the team for 2 years..good luck

ndtennis
07-17-2008, 10:48 PM
generally around a 4.5 but show some dedication and some heart and they will usualy find a spot for you. if it dosent happen you first try. dont give up. cause you never know what opportunites will come

dsa202
07-22-2008, 06:52 AM
If you haven't taken tennis seriously for atleast 5-8 years, you're no where close.

Nanshiki
07-22-2008, 10:42 PM
That doesn't really matter since it's not very likely I'm going to go get another four-year degree anyway.

To be honest I'm like a 3.5 on a decent day... but it all goes to hell if I stop practicing every day for even three days. And I need to play against more live opponents...lol

Soundbyte
07-23-2008, 08:18 PM
At a local div I school (St. Francis University in Loretto PA), i know of players who are 3.5 and play.
Division I does not equal Greatness

Flyingpanda
07-25-2008, 04:23 AM
Why don't you just do club/intramural tennis. I think there will be more people your level and you'll definitely get to play more actual matches than walking on.

Nanshiki
07-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Because I don't live on campus any more... and because they only have two tournaments on campus a year.

Fedace
07-25-2008, 07:34 AM
generally around a 4.5 but show some dedication and some heart and they will usualy find a spot for you. if it dosent happen you first try. dont give up. cause you never know what opportunites will come

Are you serious ?? he is talking about division 1 not division 3. 4.5 level guy would not make the team in a division 1 team in any sense of the word. Yes, there is a good chance in a division 3 team however. For instance, Sandiego state team would not even let you walk onto the practice courts. and you will have problem winning 1 point.

dork2tennisstud
07-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Actually, I don't think 4.5 is out of the question at all as a walk-on., Fedace. You won't get on as a walk-on at the big time schools as a 4.5, but there's plenty of schools where you can. In fact most teams in the America East Conference, Northeast Conference, MAAC, Patriot League, Atlantic Sun Conference, etc. would probably be happy to have 4.5 walk-ons. In fact, a solid one will get playing time.

A guy friend of time was a walk-on at Temple (and played in some matches) as a 4.5. One of the varsity girls where I went to school definitely was no higher than a 4.5 either.

dcipulli
07-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Dont worry about NTRP, just go talk to the coach and show him/her how much you want to be part of the team and if he/she is smart, you would have a place in that team.
The NTRP is all screw up anyways

Rob_C
07-30-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm pretty sure u need to have eligibility to practice with a college team as well. Pretty sure its a violation if u dont.

Maybe as an volunteer assistant coach, if the head coach agrees.