PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 midcut tennis shoes:Are they still around ?

MAXXply
07-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Nike's new Air Zoom x-Trainer and some similarly lame offering from Prince. Are these the only midcut tennis shoes on the market right now ?
Should I be checking out basketball boots if I need extra ankle support ?

Deano
07-12-2008, 06:45 AM
The Barricade II's mids are still around.

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I suggest you try ASO Ankle Braces before buying basketball shoes. People that use the ASOs love them.

Like the above poster noted, the Barricade II mids may be an option, although the extra support may not be rigid enough to provide the support you seek.

The other option that is new to the market is the Nike Air Trainer reissue. Apparently, Nike has updated some key performance features that may make it a viable option for you.

GS
07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
I've been using various Nike 3/4 midcuts for 25 years now. They said their Air Resolve Mid from 2 years ago was probably their last one, but thankfully they recently came out with those Air Trainers again. If there's no Nike 3/4s around after I go through my new Trainers, yep, I'll probably be buying a pair of ASO braces and using low-cut Nikes.

lemons
07-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Here's the listing of all the mid top shoes available at TW.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catthumbs.html?CREF=166

I like the look of the K-Swiss Ultrascendor mid.

FreshStew
07-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I've been using various Nike 3/4 midcuts for 25 years now. They said their Air Resolve Mid from 2 years ago was probably their last one, but thankfully they recently came out with those Air Trainers again. If there's no Nike 3/4s around after I go through my new Trainers, yep, I'll probably be buying a pair of ASO braces and using low-cut Nikes.

How do the Zoom Trainers hold up on hard court?????

FreshStew
07-12-2008, 12:33 PM
I suggest you try ASO Ankle Braces before buying basketball shoes. People that use the ASOs love them.

Are ASOs different from McDavids?

The Wreck
07-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Is this the so called "lame" offering from Prince?

http://www.tennisuniverse.net/store/catalog/images/Prince-Shoes-T10-Mens-White_Black.jpg

They are actually the best tennis shoes I've had (other than Barricade II's). Very comfortable, offer a ton of support, and durable.

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Are ASOs different from McDavids?

One of my hitting partners uses the ASOs, and he swears by them. Neither him or I have tried the McDaniel ankle brace.

As for the Nike Air Trainers, no one really knows if the new version will hold up on hard courts because they just recently came on the market. It appears they will be more durable than the originals, but no one knows how much more.

FreshStew
07-12-2008, 03:02 PM
One of my hitting partners uses the ASOs, and he swears by them. Neither him or I have tried the McDaniel ankle brace.

As for the Nike Air Trainers, no one really knows if the new version will hold up on hard courts because they just recently came on the market. It appears they will be more durable than the originals, but no one knows how much more.

Thanks Klatu Verata Necktie;)

Should I go with the Cage IIs instead?:confused:

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-12-2008, 03:07 PM
If you don't mind abandoning your search for a mid cut shoe, your options greatly increase. Go to your local pro shop and try on as many shoes as you can, including the Cage II. Some shoes will suit the shape of your foot better than others, which is why some online reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

FreshStew
07-12-2008, 05:02 PM
If you don't mind abandoning your search for a mid cut shoe, your options greatly increase. Go to your local pro shop and try on as many shoes as you can, including the Cage II. Some shoes will suit the shape of your foot better than others, which is why some online reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

My shop doesn't have the Zoom Trainers:cry:

Which do you prefer?

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-14-2008, 09:34 AM
I swear by Adidas Barricade IIs, but every shoe has its followers. First, determine what you're looking for in a shoe (ex. weight, stability, etc). Then try on a variety of shoes that fit your criteria.

Some people think Barricade IIs are too narrow, while they fit my feet perfectly and don't carry excess weight. Other people are dedicated Feather users, while they are too narrow for my feet.

I wouldn't buy shoes on line without trying them on first since there are so many variables to consider.

FreshStew
07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I swear by Adidas Barricade IIs, but every shoe has its followers. First, determine what you're looking for in a shoe (ex. weight, stability, etc). Then try on a variety of shoes that fit your criteria.

Some people think Barricade IIs are too narrow, while they fit my feet perfectly and don't carry excess weight. Other people are dedicated Feather users, while they are too narrow for my feet.

I wouldn't buy shoes on line without trying them on first since there are so many variables to consider.

Does Finishline carry the Zoom Trainers?

atatu
07-14-2008, 01:33 PM
After I went through my Resolve Mids, I tried the Cages with ASO, but they were too narrow, so I switched to Barricades, because everyone always raves about them. They were ok, but honestly I prefer the feel of the Nike Air Sole, so I just switched back to Nike, I'm now wearing the Air Max Smash with ASO's and I love that combo.

johnkidd
07-14-2008, 03:07 PM
I used to wear 3/4 cuts or a light b-ball shoe. I now wear low cuts with the ASO. I've had them for almost 4 years and they feel and wear great. I think those and the Kelesey's are the top end of ankle braces. Several other companies have introduced versions that work like them.