PDA

View Full Version : VS Team vs VS Touch?

In)SpiRe
07-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Is there really a big difference in playablity/durability between these two string? I heard of durability issue with the VS Touch but none with the VS Team (and the Team is thinner.....). Could i get some help? I'm a Natural Gut newbie :(. I'm clueless as to which one to go for. Will hybrid with PHT 16g as well.

Also, I'm thinking about getting some XCel Premium to hybrid with the PHT as well. As a cheaper alternative to Natural Gut. But I've never used Natural Gut, so I want to try it out. Anyone suggest the XCel?

Gonna string it up on a K90.

FreshStew
07-12-2008, 12:41 PM
I think VS Touch is supposed to be more playable than VS Team. If you're gonna try natural gut go full gut then try the hybrid.

Xcel+PHT is nice once you break it in but it frays pretty quickly.

In)SpiRe
07-12-2008, 12:53 PM
I think VS Touch is supposed to be more playable than VS Team. If you're gonna try natural gut go full gut then try the hybrid.

Xcel+PHT is nice once you break it in but it frays pretty quickly.

Hmm, sounds tempting, but I think if I went full gut, I would have a lot of balls flying out on me, but I'll wait for the Nat Gut gurus to help me on this one. I'm sure I heard somewhere that the Team was made with better material, but iono. Any other help guys?

Thanks FreshStew.

stevekim8
07-12-2008, 03:06 PM
natural gut's really powerful
so i don't go with 17g for natural gut

FreshStew
07-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Hmm, sounds tempting, but I think if I went full gut, I would have a lot of balls flying out on me, but I'll wait for the Nat Gut gurus to help me on this one. I'm sure I heard somewhere that the Team was made with better material, but iono. Any other help guys?

Thanks FreshStew.

Right now I'm using Tonic 16/17 strung at 60(max) and it doesn't feel too powerful.

If you're a string breaker then try the 16 gauge.

In)SpiRe
07-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Right now I'm using Tonic 16/17 strung at 60(max) and it doesn't feel too powerful.

If you're a string breaker then try the 16 gauge.

Hmmm, sounds good. Will prob go with the Touch then. Also, do you think you can compare the power levels of the Pacific Tough Gut to the VS?

PROTENNIS63
07-12-2008, 06:00 PM
VS Team is great all around.

Mansewerz
07-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Are you doing this on an x-2? Let me know how it goes.

2nd_Serve
07-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Touch 16 because it's a bit more durable, and it feels great.

ClubHoUno
07-12-2008, 08:04 PM
I may be able to help you here.

Natural Gut is very powerful and you will hit the fence, when you go from another not so powerful string to a full natural gut setup. I did, but I slowly learned to use the extra force of natural gut and develop a greater game from it.

Babolat makes all the VS Natural Gut on the market. It's Babolat's trade marked natural gut strings of the highest quality you can buy for money :D

VS Touch is only made in two gauges - 16 (1.30 cm) and 15L (1.35 cm).
VS Team is only made in one gauge - 17 (1.25 cm)

The quality standards of the Touch gut is the same as that of the Team gut, but the Team gut is thinner and therefore will produce more spin and power - but it's not something which will be very noticeable in my view.

The Touch string will produce some what flatter and more controllable shots than the Team string will, because of the Touch strings thicker gauge.

I have VS Team 17 in my 2 Wilson K-Blade 98 rackets with a dense 18X20 string pattern.
I have VS Touch 16 in my 2 Babolat Pure Storm Tour rackets, because this racket has a slightly less dense string pattern - 16X20. The more dense a string pattern your racket have, the more thin a gauge, you can play with without breaking the strings too quickly.

In)SpiRe
07-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Are you doing this on an x-2? Let me know how it goes.

I still have yet to even order the strings :D.

But no, I won't be doing this on the X-2. I'm too scared :P. Gonna do it on my coach's crank.

In)SpiRe
07-13-2008, 06:58 AM
I may be able to help you here.

Natural Gut is very powerful and you will hit the fence, when you go from another not so powerful string to a full natural gut setup. I did, but I slowly learned to use the extra force of natural gut and develop a greater game from it.

Babolat makes all the VS Natural Gut on the market. It's Babolat's trade marked natural gut strings of the highest quality you can buy for money :D

VS Touch is only made in two gauges - 16 (1.30 cm) and 15L (1.35 cm).
VS Team is only made in one gauge - 17 (1.25 cm)

The quality standards of the Touch gut is the same as that of the Team gut, but the Team gut is thinner and therefore will produce more spin and power - but it's not something which will be very noticeable in my view.

The Touch string will produce some what flatter and more controllable shots than the Team string will, because of the Touch strings thicker gauge.

I have VS Team 17 in my 2 Wilson K-Blade 98 rackets with a dense 18X20 string pattern.
I have VS Touch 16 in my 2 Babolat Pure Storm Tour rackets, because this racket has a slightly less dense string pattern - 16X20. The more dense a string pattern your racket have, the more thin a gauge, you can play with without breaking the strings too quickly.

Thanks ClubHoUno!
So what would you suggest for my K90? The VS Touch 16/15L? Also I will be doing a hybrid of it with PHT 16g. Which do you suggest for the hybrid?

ClubHoUno
07-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks ClubHoUno!
So what would you suggest for my K90? The VS Touch 16/15L? Also I will be doing a hybrid of it with PHT 16g. Which do you suggest for the hybrid?

The K90 is a 90 SQ" racket with a 16X19 string pattern. Normally a 16X19 string pattern is called an open string pattern, but in a 90 SQ" racket this is NOT the case :)

I would play a pure VS Team 17 gauge and see how long it lasts with the use of some Babolat Teflon Elastocross Stringsavers. If you break it too fast, then try a hybrid - VS Team 17 gauge in the mains and VS Touch 16 gauge in the crosses - also with the use of stringsavers. If this also breaks too fast, then go for a pure VS Touch 16 gauge setup, also with some Babolat stringsavers installed.

Try NOT to buy anything but Babolat Elastocross stringsavers, as they are the best on the market bare none.

Good luck :D

Mansewerz
07-13-2008, 06:01 PM
I still have yet to even order the strings :D.

But no, I won't be doing this on the X-2. I'm too scared :P. Gonna do it on my coach's crank.

LOL that's cool. If it was me, i'd try it on my SP swing or not try it at all because it's the task itself that gets me opposed to the machine.

In)SpiRe
07-14-2008, 07:18 AM
The K90 is a 90 SQ" racket with a 16X19 string pattern. Normally a 16X19 string pattern is called an open string pattern, but in a 90 SQ" racket this is NOT the case :)

I would play a pure VS Team 17 gauge and see how long it lasts with the use of some Babolat Teflon Elastocross Stringsavers. If you break it too fast, then try a hybrid - VS Team 17 gauge in the mains and VS Touch 16 gauge in the crosses - also with the use of stringsavers. If this also breaks too fast, then go for a pure VS Touch 16 gauge setup, also with some Babolat stringsavers installed.

Try NOT to buy anything but Babolat Elastocross stringsavers, as they are the best on the market bare none.

Good luck :D

Thanks alot, that really helped!

In)SpiRe
07-14-2008, 07:18 AM
LOL that's cool. If it was me, i'd try it on my SP swing or not try it at all because it's the task itself that gets me opposed to the machine.

Yea, I think with a little more experience stringing, then I'll try to do gut on my own, but for now.... no way :D.