PDA

View Full Version : How to find business

BumperJeep
07-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Does anybody have suggestions as to how i can find people to string for. I have a huge machine, with a lot of spare time and I'm only stringing my rackets. I really can't find anybody to string for.

Zach
07-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Try posting ads in the paper or hanging out at the courts, you're more than likely to atleast start up a conversation about strings.

Mansewerz
07-12-2008, 03:04 PM
I just don't wanna be taking for a legitimate business, I string out of my garage. i guess I could try those mentioned things but unlike OP, I have a dropweight.

LafayetteHitter
07-12-2008, 03:08 PM
You could also mention to local tennis teachers. They often have students that are new and don't have a regular stringer. Also consider posting some flyers at a local court. You would be surprised how many people prefer to have their stringing done by an individual.

gordo
07-12-2008, 03:10 PM
craigslist, where are you located?

BumperJeep
07-12-2008, 03:21 PM
im located right across the river from nyc, but the problem is that most people go to get their rackets strung at local clubs where they usually charge like $45 for luxlion and they don't know any better. and, i'm sure at most of the courts around my area, they would take down a flier that i could put up.

nickb
07-12-2008, 03:36 PM
I run a home stringing business. Here are some methods I use/used to get frames coming in. I string 30+ a week.

- Speak to any local coaches and tell them you can give them a good deal on stringing. Something like they get a frame from a student and give it to you...you string it for x amount and let the coach add $5 to the cost that goes in their pocket. Lower your price if you have to. I now have 10+ coaches giving me frames all the time so they can make a bit of profit...it works out well for me.
- ASK if you can put up some posters at the local courts. What have you got to lose? Anywhere is good..in a club house...locker room...anywhere.
- If you see a player break a string ask them if they would like you to string it. Say what machine you have and different prices you can offer. If they dont want you to string it..what have you lost..nothing.
- Get some t-shirts made. Nothing fancy...just some details about what you do. Wear it when you play.
- Approach any local pro shops and see if they have any excess frames you can do. Some shops will give stuff to home stringers if they are short on staff or time.
- Find out who the advanced players are in your area. If you find a string breaker who gives you repeat business they will pass your name around. All it takes is 1 customer to get things going.
- Website?...really easy to do these days...looks good...set it up so people can search for stringing in your area and it brings up your name.
- Take the USRSA award..get registered online.
- Always keep a price list on you and let people know what you dont have you can order for them.
- Get some grips to sell...people buying grips often might need rackets doing...drop it in the conversation.

Anyway...my website is:

www.nickbondtennis.co.uk

Take a look..

I got to where I am now by telling people I string rackets, getting customers that give me repeat stringing every week and selling what I do well. BTW im only 18...if you can talk the talk people will come...customers like confidence.

Good luck.

Nick

BumperJeep
07-18-2008, 01:35 PM
any other tips?

iplaybetter
07-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Word of mouth, it takes a while, but it will happen
i am on pace for a 50 stick week when i was lucky to do 2 this time last summer

BigT
07-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Word of mouth, it takes a while, but it will happen
i am on pace for a 50 stick week when i was lucky to do 2 this time last summer

not bad- where you at?

ODYSSEY Mk.4
07-18-2008, 02:11 PM
give a cheap can off balls to players with a mini flyer taped on the inside may cost you 30$ for 15 cans and just hit up some courts and give some away and talk with each player

iplaybetter
07-18-2008, 02:13 PM
not bad- where you at?

MD, and my fingers are ****ed at me... thats what happens when you go away for ten days and come back to 40 sticks in 3 days

chrisplchs
07-18-2008, 02:46 PM
MD, and my fingers are ****ed at me... thats what happens when you go away for ten days and come back to 40 sticks in 3 days

40 in 3 days? thats it?

did you finally land the gig at the shop?

stringwalla
07-19-2008, 01:45 PM
40 in 3 days? thats it?

I'll have 40+ waiting to do on Monday. What area are you located chrisplchs?

iplaybetter
07-19-2008, 01:47 PM
40 in 3 days? thats it?

did you finally land the gig at the shop?

oh yeh, i dont think its much, but after a break its not fun, my fingers are back in stringing shape now but those two days were not fun, lots of poly and a few textured are not nice on fingers that arnt used to it

and my machine is on the fritz so i have been going in early to do my sticks at work on that machine

DLtoken
07-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Websites definitely help... My site has only been up for a few weeks and I have gotten a handful of customers who have contacted through it. They actually got the site name from the decal I have across my rear window in my car... So, the little things help.

And check out my website. It's really simple (still a work in progress), but gets the basics across.

www.dlstringing.com

Passingshot
07-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Websites definitely help... My site has only been up for a few weeks and I have gotten a handful of customers who have contacted through it. They actually got the site name from the decal I have across my rear window in my car... So, the little things help.

And check out my website. It's really simple (still a work in progress), but gets the basics across.

www.dlstringing.com

Nice website!

DLtoken
07-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks Cap'n. ;)

Supernatural_Serve
07-20-2008, 11:07 AM

www.dlstringing.comYour website isn't making much use of the page space. The font is relatively small. The black text on grey background makes it a little hard to read.

I like the vibe, feel, navigation, tone, clarity of purpose, and professional look, but does it have to be that small and hard to read?

DLtoken
07-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the input... As I said, the site is undergoing changes whenever I can get the chance. Text needs to be edited and the size and maybe color is on my to do list as well. The lack of utilizing "a full screen" is because I ready don't have much to say and i hate going with something everyone else is doing.

I will sit down this evening and make some changes... Thanks man! ;)

BigT
08-06-2008, 04:14 PM
here in the tennis hot-bed of SoCal, it seems that most good players and top juniors string their own rackets....so I market my machine(Star 2), my experience stringing(15 years), and my tennis abilty(open) to attract customers. I am open always open to new ideas....