PDA

View Full Version : 1. Buy Stringing Machine 2. ???????????? 3. Profit!

Nanshiki
07-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Just a quick question...

Is stringing hard and can it be a decent part time job? Or even full time?

Just curious...

Fumoffu
07-12-2008, 07:40 PM
string for your friends. make them pay your machine off. then after that you're just saving labour fees you'd pay at a pro shop, and potentially string cost (if you get a reel)

tbini87
07-12-2008, 07:49 PM
stringing for yourself will save you lots of money in the long run. so that alone is usually a good enough reason to get one, because it will pay itself off in no time.

if you want to make money, string for friends and or teammates. once you get enough experience and really feel comfortable you can try to expand and get more customers. i have strung for friends of friends a few times, but friends and teammates have kept me very busy. buy cheap reels (gosen micro and polylon) and string for something like 10-12 bucks a pop. that way you make some money ($8-10 per job), get plenty of experience, get repeat customers (they can't get a price like that anywhere else) and everyone is happy!

Valjean
07-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Stringing for yourself can be all pluses, except for the time involved if you begrudge yourself that. You'll never again be happy having someone else do your racquet, provided you take the time to get involved with doing your own the right way.

JanusB
07-12-2008, 08:36 PM
I second what tbini87 said. You can make 3 racquets per hour when you get it all down and earning 8-10 a piece isn't too bad imo.

Mansewerz
07-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Stringing is satisfying, especially if your like me and like to do work with your hands.

zidane339
07-12-2008, 08:43 PM
^^^^^^^

Haha kinda sounds bad there Mansewerz, no offense.

Mansewerz
07-12-2008, 08:56 PM
LMFAO, no offense taken. I like doing work like fixing shelves, assembling things.

I didn't realize what I had said there haha.

zidane339
07-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Haha I got you, I like doing mechanical things also, with tools and such.

And yes, stringing can make a good part time job, if you really enjoy it. Its like getting paid to do something you do for fun.

Mansewerz
07-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Haha I got you, I like doing mechanical things also, with tools and such.

And yes, stringing can make a good part time job, if you really enjoy it. Its like getting paid to do something you do for fun.

LOL exactly. Are the gamma flyings clamps for the progression same as the x-2?

And you have the ST now, no?

zidane339
07-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Hmmm, not exactly sure if they are, since I never used the X-2 clamps, but from pictures alone they look exactly the same except for the colors. Why do you asK?

And yes, I have the ST now. Love everything about except I need new clamps. Used ones were a bit too used, and I have to clean them constantly

Mansewerz
07-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Just wondering bout those flying clamps. Can you find those fixed clamps easily? Is yours a first generation progression.

Radical Shot
07-13-2008, 01:08 AM
The real profit (benefit) will come when you understand which strings, tension, type and stringing style makes your game go to a level that you would never reach unless you were able to string for yourself.

I believe that a stringing machine is an essential piece of equipment for anyone serious about tennis....

Nanshiki
07-13-2008, 06:11 AM
Can you take your setup to local tournaments too? Seems like a really good way to make money, since I live near Mobile Tennis Center where there's a bunch of tournaments a year, and I'm pretty sure I heard someone say the stringer there doesn't like doing more than a handful of racquets at a time.

fishuuuuu
07-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Can you take your setup to local tournaments too? Seems like a really good way to make money, since I live near Mobile Tennis Center where there's a bunch of tournaments a year, and I'm pretty sure I heard someone say the stringer there doesn't like doing more than a handful of racquets at a time.

Sure, but it will be a long time before you are capable as a stringer to accommodate for the entire tournament. Also, memes are not appreciated on TW (:

Nanshiki
07-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Clearly. :D

Richie Rich
07-13-2008, 07:27 AM
i don't know any rich stringers BTW. and to do it fulltime? i'd find it kind of monotonous

for me. it's just something i do for myself. my machine pays for itself pretty quickly and i'm not dependant on stores hours or backlog, etc.

i've thought about stringing for some friends but a couple of the guys are really picky and would be a PITA. so for $10 labor it's just not worth it to me.

tennisfreak15347
07-13-2008, 02:34 PM
The thread title made me chuckle a bit. I think he took this quote from South Park, where little lawn gnomes steal underwear and try to sell them for profit. " 1.Collect Underwear, 2. ?????? 3. Profit!"

String|Guru
07-13-2008, 04:01 PM
If you want to make a decent job out of it you need to invest in a good machine. if you want it to be a full time job, you need to get certifed and be ready to do a lot of stringing. Despite what Johnny Mac says stringers are not making millions!

Nanshiki
07-13-2008, 05:12 PM
The thread title made me chuckle a bit. I think he took this quote from South Park, where little lawn gnomes steal underwear and try to sell them for profit. " 1.Collect Underwear, 2. ?????? 3. Profit!"

You would be correct.

zidane339
07-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Just wondering bout those flying clamps. Can you find those fixed clamps easily? Is yours a first generation progression.

Yea, on A T S Sports you can get replacement flying or fixed clamps. And yes, first generation. Love the base a lot more. Nice handy ruler and also very sturdy. Cast iron underneath with a large tool tray.

iplaybetter
07-13-2008, 08:16 PM
no, its liek this
1. steal underware
2.?
3.profit

butin all seriousnes, just get going, produce better string jobs for less and your name will get around

Nanshiki
07-14-2008, 06:27 AM
Actually they say underpants. Haha.

iplaybetter
07-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Actually they say underpants. Haha.

my bad, its been a while