PDA

View Full Version : Poly Mains and Synthetic Crosses?

DLtoken
07-13-2008, 05:31 AM
So, Polys don't move, we all know this. So, we like to put them in the mains for many reasons, but sometimes, to soften the string bed, synthetic guts or guts are used in the crosses. Thing is, when I use a setup like this, my crosses moved all over the place, therefore, a setup like this could last the heaviest of topspin players almost forever.

Does anyone else have this "problem"? Maybe I just haven't found the right cross string yet. haha

Eric4
07-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Try stringing your crosses a few pounds tighter and they wont move as much

DLtoken
07-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Good call man... Now, I know there are conflicting opinions on whether to sting the mains or the crosses tighter for more spin. Both of which seem to have valid arguments. Has there been any real research done with this or is it more experience and opinion based?

aussie
07-13-2008, 03:03 PM
There are many coflicting theories as to whether the crosses should be strung tighter, looser or the same as the mains so there is probably no "right"way. All personal choice. But, the tighter you string mains or crosses the less they will move. Personally, I string my TT Scream with CF mains and a variety of syn gut crosses 4lbs tighter. Depending on the syn gut though, there is still a degree of movement in the crosses.

Kevo
07-14-2008, 07:52 AM
I like to use a 17g poly and a 16g syn gut. That seems to up the lifespan and keep the crosses from moving around too much. I can make a setup like this last about a month between two frames.

I typically use the same tension on both, but I'm also using a poly that is close to a syn gut in terms of stiffness and power.

2nd_Serve
07-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Good call man... Now, I know there are conflicting opinions on whether to sting the mains or the crosses tighter for more spin. Both of which seem to have valid arguments. Has there been any real research done with this or is it more experience and opinion based?

Tension doesn't have any affect on spin. Tighter strings just give less depth, and to make up for that, we swing harder. That's why people believe higher tensions give more spin.

DLtoken
07-15-2008, 03:58 AM
^^^Now that really doesn't make any sense at all, especially when discussing different tensions on the crosses and mains. With different tensions in the crosses and the mains, we are trying to establish a more dominant string or... ripple in the weave? There most definitely going to be a difference in the string bed's ability to bite into the ball, IMO.

nickb
07-15-2008, 04:06 AM
^^^Now that really doesn't make any sense at all, especially when discussing different tensions on the crosses and mains. With different tensions in the crosses and the mains, we are trying to establish a more dominant string or... ripple in the weave? There most definitely going to be a difference in the string bed's ability to bite into the ball, IMO.

Nope what he said is true.

Read the book "technical tennis".

DLtoken
07-15-2008, 04:20 AM
I just got it, actually. I'll flip to it this afternoon, thanks.