PDA

View Full Version : Sampras' new racquet

Eph
07-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Not sure where the thread is, but here is some info (not sure if anybody actually knows of it):

88 sq inch head
lighter than the k61
softer than the k61
meant to have more spin potential and used up at the net
has lead in the handle (that's what they are mainly testing right now - trying to get it right)

gsquicksilver
07-14-2008, 06:54 AM
where's the evidence?

Eph
07-14-2008, 06:58 AM
where's the evidence?

Trusted source. Nothing is available publicly as far as I know.

nickb
07-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Sorry your wrong.

I just got this info from my trusted source...here are the specs:

135sqin
200g unstrung
40mm beam
14pts head heavy
14x18 string pattern
has lead at 3 + 9 (just for testing).

Racket will cost $500 and plays close to the K90 but a bit less demanding.

Cup8489
07-14-2008, 07:10 AM
Sorry your wrong.

135sqin
200g unstrung
40mm beam
14pts head heavy
14x18 string pattern

those specs are terrifying.

Eph
07-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Whatever. What the hell do you want me to say? It's all unpublished. You're an annoying teenage prat that lacks severe people skills.

nickb
07-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Whatever. What the hell do you want me to say? It's all unpublished. You're an annoying teenage prat that lacks severe people skills.

LOL.

Another poster with 0 sense of humour.

You started a thread with some specs then said its from a "trusted source"...all this has been said before..what do you want people to say?

Eph
07-14-2008, 07:39 AM
LOL.

You started a thread with some specs then said its from a "trusted source"...all this has been said before..what do you want people to say?

I didn't know people have posted these specs before as said in the original post. I found this out the other day from Roman at RPNY (he even said he knew very little) and I figured I'd *share* the information.

edit: I thought I implied in the OP that I didn't know if the specs were out there in the thread about his new racquet, my apologies.

nickb
07-14-2008, 07:41 AM
I didn't know people have posted these specs before as said in the original post. I found this out the other day from Roman at RPNY (he even said he knew very little) and I figured I'd *share* the information.

edit: I thought I implied in the OP that I didn't know if the specs were out there in the thread about his new racquet, my apologies.

Thats nice but you still have no evidence.

Eph
07-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Thats nice but you still have no evidence.

I'm sorry I don't have the recorded phone conversations or internal paperwork at Wilson.

Where is your source?

If I'm wrong, it means Roman was wrong. I don't lie, and I'm just trying to provide information to this community. Once again, get some social skills.

Fedace
07-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Sorry your wrong.

135sqin
200g unstrung
40mm beam
14pts head heavy
14x18 string pattern

$$$$$$500.00 ????????????? what is it made of gold composite graphite ??????

hoodjem
07-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Come on . . . Nick's just pulling our leg.

Hardee har har . . .

nickb
07-14-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm sorry I don't have the recorded phone conversations or internal paperwork at Wilson.

Where is your source?

If I'm wrong, it means Roman was wrong. I don't lie, and I'm just trying to provide information to this community. Once again, get some social skills.

What source?

You mean for the specs I posted?...did you not notice the sarcasm?

:oops:

SempreSami
07-14-2008, 07:56 AM

Where is your source?

Welcome to the internet, son.

Eph
07-14-2008, 07:58 AM
This feels like macrumors a month before WWDC, a week before, 3 days before, 1 night before.

SempreSami
07-14-2008, 08:11 AM
You'll have to explain that one to me, I've been watching the test match.

Eph
07-14-2008, 08:14 AM
quoi? ............

leonidas1982
07-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Eph,

When you say "lighter", do you mean head-light, lower swing weight, and/or overall weight. Thanks.

Eph
07-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Eph,

When you say "lighter", do you mean head-light, lower swing weight, and/or overall weight. Thanks.

Lower swing weight and overall weight (and more than a change from naturally going from 90 to 88 sq in), a purposeful difference, but he doesn't know by how many grams.

leonidas1982
07-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Lower swing weight and overall weight (and more than a change from naturally going from 90 to 88 sq in), a purposeful difference, but he doesn't know by how many grams.

hopefully, at the very least it weighs as much as the 85.

DJG
07-14-2008, 08:35 AM
This feels like macrumors a month before WWDC, a week before, 3 days before, 1 night before.

I loved that comment. I cannot say I disagree with it...

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-14-2008, 08:47 AM
This is the first time I see the information, so thanks.

morten
07-14-2008, 08:47 AM
keep em coming..

Eph
07-14-2008, 08:50 AM
keep em coming..

If I get any more information, I'll share it - probably in a month there will be more info available. I'll be going back about that time before I go on holiday to Europe so I can see how the changes are that he made after the 3rd try.

Voltron
07-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Not sure where the thread is, but here is some info (not sure if anybody actually knows of it):

88 sq inch head
lighter than the k61
softer than the k61
has lead in the handle (that's what they are mainly testing right now - trying to get it right)

If I get any more information, I'll share it - probably in a month there will be more info available. I'll be going back about that time before I go on holiday to Europe so I can see how the changes are that he made after the 3rd try.

So, correct me if I'm wrong EPH, but you claim to know more about the Sampras frame than anyone else and you're just doing it as a service to us? Not bragging or anything? Oh wait, now you're telling us about your holiday to Europe? That's just a friendly service reminder right? Because we all care so much about where you are at any given time right, of course you're not boasting. Methinks you just want attention, and your info is just an attention getter.

Enjoy your day,
Volt

nickb
07-14-2008, 08:58 AM
keep em coming..

Sure.

40sqin
849g unstrung
42 pts head light
7mm beam
40x42 string pattern

Got it from a trusted source.

Eph
07-14-2008, 08:59 AM
So, correct me if I'm wrong EPH, but you claim to know more about the Sampras frame than anyone else and you're just doing it as a service to us? Not bragging or anything? Oh wait, now you're telling us about your holiday to Europe? That's just a friendly service reminder right? Because we all care so much about where you are at any given time right, of course you're not boasting. Methinks you just want attention, and your info is just an attention getter.

Enjoy your day,
Volt

I really don't know what is/isn't available or what has or hasn't been said. Nor do I really care; I knew there was a thread on it, and I read it to a point and it didn't have any real details in it, and then I couldn't find it, so I posted what I found out about the racquet.

I didn't know a holiday in Europe was a big deal.

You seem to be rather cynical. I just got back into tennis; never played much and am trying to get better. I get pounded on the tennis tip section for my horrible serve and being overweight. It doesn't bother me nor did I know that these specs weren't known yet, and if they weren't why it's such a big deal. "A service to you"? Do you happen to work in the retail industry and you're being a bit defensive here. That's not my intent at all. Holy crap. I guess writing reviews of a new racquet would be a bad thing as well - after all, people may not be able to afford a new racquet and it's no fair that I tried a new racquet before you.

nickb
07-14-2008, 09:06 AM
I really don't know what is/isn't available or what has or hasn't been said. Nor do I really care; I knew there was a thread on it, and I read it to a point and it didn't have any real details in it, and then I couldn't find it, so I posted what I found out about the racquet.

I didn't know a holiday in Europe was a big deal.

You seem to be rather cynical. I just got back into tennis; never played much and am trying to get better. I get pounded on the tennis tip section for my horrible serve and being overweight. It doesn't bother me nor did I know that these specs weren't known yet, and if they weren't why it's such a big deal. "A service to you"? Do you happen to work in the retail industry and you're being a bit defensive here. That's not my intent at all. Holy crap. I guess writing reviews of a new racquet would be a bad thing as well - after all, people may not be able to afford a new racquet and it's no fair that I tried a new racquet before you.

Why bring up that? Its nothing to do with this thread.

Eph
07-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Why bring up that? Its nothing to do with this thread.

It has to do with the fact that I know very little about the tennis community or how to play well but I am trying to get back into the game.

nickb
07-14-2008, 09:08 AM
It has to do with the fact that I know very little about the tennis community or how to play well but I am trying to get back into the game.

That has nothing to do with this thread.

Eph
07-14-2008, 09:08 AM
That has nothing to do with this thread.

Evidently, it does.

certifiedjatt
07-14-2008, 09:29 AM
you're all liars. i freakin' WORKED for wilson canada so here is the ACTUAL INFORMATION:

1. 90sq
2. made of a composite of sampras and federer mojo, including feces, semen and spit, and finished off with dead skin cells from both for a matte finish, like the St. Vincents.

shavenyak
07-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Man, you guys are jackals.

stormholloway
07-14-2008, 09:41 AM

Enjoy your day,
Volt

I think you should relax. He mentioned he'll be on holiday. Big deal.

That info he posted is the same info I got from Roman at RPNY. Technically, that is "evidence". It's not physical evidence but evidence nonetheless. Believe whatever you want. Someone comes and posts some info and everyone jumps on his *** about it. Would you rather this thread only be limited to the trolling and pure speculation?

Eph
07-14-2008, 09:46 AM
I appreciate it, thanks.

I'd quote Lao Tzu but I'd probably be called pretentious if I did that.

SempreSami
07-14-2008, 09:47 AM
No one likes a chubby, pretentious, git.

Bhagi Katbamna
07-14-2008, 09:59 AM
I appreciate it, thanks.

I'd quote Lao Tzu but I'd probably be called pretentious if I did that.

thanks for the info. If you get any more, post it.

Racquet Man
07-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Eph, thanks for the information on this mystery racquet. Keep it coming.

Eph
07-14-2008, 11:38 AM
If I got any more info, I'd pass it along. The reason I mentioned Europe (and I apologise I didn't elucidate it in my post is because I am completely tired where I am struggling to form coherent sentences; Cf. review of RPNY) is I will be there until the beginning of November and by then I am guessing the info will be public as I am *guessing* the racquet will be out by the holidays, so the information would be less useful for when I get back.

ShooterMcMarco
07-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Sorry your wrong.

135sqin
200g unstrung
40mm beam
14pts head heavy
14x18 string pattern

This is the racquet I've been hoping for all of my life.

speedomodel
07-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Sorry your wrong.

135sqin
200g unstrung
40mm beam
14pts head heavy
14x18 string pattern

ahhh...the holy grail...

BreakPoint
07-14-2008, 12:15 PM

88 sq inch head
lighter than the k61
softer than the k61
Thanks for the info, Eph.

Just ignore posters like nickb and Voltron.

nickb
07-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the info, Eph.

Just ignore posters like nickb, Voltron and BreakPoint.

10 chars..

Cenc
07-14-2008, 12:23 PM
in exos against federer last year he played with ncode and i thought he used pro staff this season... at tennis-warehouse his picture is still with ncode
anyone has any more infos?

LPShanet
07-14-2008, 01:05 PM
$$$$$$500.00 ????????????? what is it made of gold composite graphite ??????

It's a new material, made by taking about 12-14 lbs of bacon and compressing it until it yields the appropriate layup.

leonidas1982
07-14-2008, 01:20 PM
If I got any more info, I'd pass it along. The reason I mentioned Europe (and I apologise I didn't elucidate it in my post is because I am completely tired where I am struggling to form coherent sentences; Cf. review of RPNY) is I will be there until the beginning of November and by then I am guessing the info will be public as I am *guessing* the racquet will be out by the holidays, so the information would be less useful for when I get back.

looking forward to it.

wilsonplayer
07-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Eph, ignore all the crap people are giving you on this forum. I appreciated the information and it is the first time i heard about it. and another thing for everyone reading, tennis is not the most popular sport right now especially in the U.S. if people want to get back into the game by playing, watching, even posting on this thread to give and to receive more information about the game, no one should crucify that person as it just is simply detrimental to everyone. i believe we all want the sport to grow and to criticize someone for being overweight and having no tennis ability when someone's looking for help and to start playing is pointless and will only lead to less tennis players in the world.

Fedace
07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Where can i buy this new racket ??

saremile
07-14-2008, 04:14 PM

Great info btw. But do you have specifically where in the handle is he testing the weights...ie. upper or lower?

Eph
07-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Great info btw. But do you have specifically where in the handle is he testing the weights...ie. upper or lower?

No idea; I would guess 3/4 way up.

jami25
07-14-2008, 07:26 PM
wow
Eph got that information from that whats new weekly vlog
watch this weeks episode its at the very end
he shows a all blacked out racquet and talks about it

Fedace
07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Is TW going to carry this racket ??

Eph
07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
What?

[....]

Eph
07-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Is TW going to carry this racket ??

Of course...when it is retail.

jami25
07-14-2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/vlogpage.html?ccode=VLOG078

go to the end of the video and it talks about the sampras racquet

Eph
07-14-2008, 07:32 PM

Weird. Well, that's more information, but nothing I said.

BreakPoint
07-14-2008, 07:33 PM

Come on, that was just Chris pulling our leg. (A joke to make fun of us racquet geeks).

Return_Ace
07-14-2008, 07:42 PM
lol and they fell for it...

check the TW questions section..

it's a prototype aerogel 300 they had lying around...

silly people :P

J011yroger
07-14-2008, 07:42 PM

Heck with the racquet, I want the shirt he is sportin!!!

J

obnoxious2
07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Why would Sampras help create a prototype racquet that is LIGHTER than the K6.1? Doesn't make much sense since he still leads his racquet up to 14 oz. If anything, most people want a prostaff that is actually slightly higher in weight and SW than the current K6.1

Return_Ace
07-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Why would Sampras help create a prototype racquet that is LIGHTER than the K6.1? Doesn't make much sense since he still leads his racquet up to 14 oz. If anything, most people want a prostaff that is actually slightly higher in weight and SW than the current K6.1

How do you know he *still* leads it up to more than 14oz ?

And the reason it's *not* going to be 14oz is because the majority of the public won't be able to play with a 14oz stick... not effectively anyways.

As for "most people" wanting a heavier K6.1, i don't think that's the case... from what i've gathered from threds here they find the K6.1 to be a little too demanding for a full matchplay hence why a few of the members have gotten themselves asian versions.

stormholloway
07-14-2008, 08:21 PM
According to the article he does lead it up.

Return_Ace
07-15-2008, 04:18 AM
According to the article it says it was "customised" with lead" but didn't say to what weight...

Not to mention if it's a prototype the lead could be more for touch ups to weight/balance experiments rather than the weight he wants. /speculation.

hoodjem
07-15-2008, 04:32 AM
If anything, most people want a prostaff that is actually slightly higher in weight and SW than the current K6.1

Not me. I used a PS 6.0 for 15 years, but now I am older and want a lighter not heavier version.

origmarm
07-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Not me. I used a PS 6.0 for 15 years, but now I am older and want a lighter not heavier version.

I agree....most of the 6.0 fans are now older, slower etc..etc..like myself. I would love a 6.1/6.0 that played properly like an older one but that had less swingweight. I would welcome a little more mass at 3&9 though as that's what I used to do with my 6.0

m1stuhxsp4rk5
07-15-2008, 08:09 AM
any idea when this is going to be released?

nickb
07-15-2008, 08:12 AM
I want a pro staff with a 70sqin head because the 85 has too much power.

kungfusmkim
07-15-2008, 08:35 AM

Are we still talking about the Sampras that used to use a 13oz+ racquet?

kungfusmkim
07-15-2008, 08:40 AM
No one likes a chubby, pretentious, git.

And a guy who does Arabesque everytime he serves. For the definition of a arabesque: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_ballet_terms

Eph
07-15-2008, 09:18 AM
I agree....most of the 6.0 fans are now older, slower etc..etc..like myself. I would love a 6.1/6.0 that played properly like an older one but that had less swingweight. I would welcome a little more mass at 3&9 though as that's what I used to do with my 6.0

My guess is this racquet will be marketed to these people. Hence the weight in the handle - to make it a good volleyer/doubles racquet, but still having a good amount of power.

leonidas1982
07-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Well, hopefully they could make two versions.

J011yroger
07-15-2008, 01:43 PM

Prostaff and Amateurstaff

lol

J

BreakPoint
07-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Prostaff and Amateurstaff

lol

J
I think you mean "Normal version" and "Pirate version". :lol: LOL

J011yroger
07-15-2008, 02:09 PM
I think you mean "Normal version" and "Pirate version". :lol: LOL

Nah I am not switching till 2010.

J

Leelord337
07-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Sorry your wrong.

135sqin
200g unstrung
40mm beam
14pts head heavy
14x18 string pattern

sampras would never use a gamma big bubba, :)

leonidas1982
07-15-2008, 03:30 PM

a 12oz+ (which I prefer) and one lower.

hoodjem
07-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Yes. Not an absurdly light (like 9.0 oz) racquet, but a 12.5 oz one and an 11.7 oz one.

Not a Blackbeardmachoaaaaarrrrgggghhhh Staff for the crazies who think they're better because it's heavier.

origmarm
07-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Around 11.5-11.7 would be perfect. In many ways I think they are better of going a bit lighter than 12oz as it will appeal to more folk and those that want a 12oz+ bat are probably going to lead it up anyway. 11.5 is a great starting weight to customise as you can add good amounts of lead in the right place without ending up with a very heavy stick or swingweight

hoodjem
07-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Very good rationale.

KLKK
07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
LOL.

From a "trusted source" I was told that you are dumb also.....(hope u can sense the "humor" here...)

You can't proof that what people said was strong...and just keep posting non-constructive reply....how does it help to the rest?

nickb
07-17-2008, 12:57 AM
From a "trusted source" I was told that you are dumb also.....(hope u can sense the "humor" here...)

You can't proof that what people said was strong...and just keep posting non-constructive reply....how does it help to the rest?

Before posting you might want to learn how to write sentences that make sense and how to spell.

I cant proof that what people said was strong? :confused:

:oops:

lawrence
07-17-2008, 02:51 AM
not everyones from an english speaking background btw. lol

s7evin
07-17-2008, 03:21 AM
should i was were been?

nalk7
07-17-2008, 08:38 AM
should i was were been?

LOL (btw I actually laughed out loud when I read that)

Gorecki
07-17-2008, 01:19 PM
you're all liars. i freakin' WORKED for wilson canada so here is the ACTUAL INFORMATION:

1. 90sq
2. made of a composite of sampras and federer mojo, including feces, semen and spit, and finished off with dead skin cells from both for a matte finish, like the St. Vincents.

you forgot to mention it will have also Peanut butter to give it the buttery feel... and that i is baked in a hoven to get a crisp feel....

stormholloway
07-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Around 11.5-11.7 would be perfect. In many ways I think they are better of going a bit lighter than 12oz as it will appeal to more folk and those that want a 12oz+ bat are probably going to lead it up anyway. 11.5 is a great starting weight to customise as you can add good amounts of lead in the right place without ending up with a very heavy stick or swingweight

They have plenty of frames in their lineup that cater to such people. If you want a light frame they are out there.

origmarm
07-17-2008, 11:17 PM
They have plenty of frames in their lineup that cater to such people. If you want a light frame they are out there.

It's true but none quite occupy the niche, notably people who use to play with box frames (6.0 style as distinct from 6.1) and thin beams but who just can't handle the weight anymore that these racquets are being offered in.

I take the point though that they are likely to aim for the K90 segment of the market with this given the other offerings in their lineup

sargeinaz
07-17-2008, 11:50 PM
It's true but none quite occupy the niche, notably people who use to play with box frames (6.0 style as distinct from 6.1) and thin beams but who just can't handle the weight anymore that these racquets are being offered in.

I take the point though that they are likely to aim for the K90 segment of the market with this given the other offerings in their lineup

Why dont you try the Asian K90. It seems to fit what you want.

origmarm
07-18-2008, 02:11 AM
Why dont you try the Asian K90. It seems to fit what you want.

Don't get me wrong, I am pretty happy with my setup at the moment, it would just be a better marketing/business decision as I see it given what I mentioned below.

The AK90 is great yes. I really question Wilson's decision not to sell this or a similar "Lite" version in the US/Europe. Why not?

BreakPoint
07-18-2008, 01:37 PM
The AK90 is great yes. I really question Wilson's decision not to sell this or a similar "Lite" version in the US/Europe. Why not?
That's like the $64 million dollar question. It makes no sense at all not to sell the AK90 worldwide. They even sell a Team version of the K95 just about everywhere and most other companies sell lighter versions of their players racquets worldwide (e.g., Head, Dunlop, Fischer, Becker, etc.)

Eph
07-18-2008, 01:38 PM
That's like the $64 million dollar question. It makes no sense at all not to sell the AK90 worldwide. They even sell a Team version of the K95 just about everywhere and most other companies sell lighter versions of their players racquets worldwide (e.g., Head, Dunlop, Fischer, Becker, etc.)

What is the "Asian" version? I thought all of Wilson's racquets were made in Asia?

BreakPoint
07-18-2008, 01:40 PM
What is the "Asian" version? I thought all of Wilson's racquets were made in Asia?
Didn't you read the post I just responded to?

stormholloway
07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
I find the 6.0 easier to swing than the K90 and it's heavier. I think it's more about construction than total weight.

Eph
07-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Didn't you read the post I just responded to?

Yes, but how do you tell the difference between the K90s?

BreakPoint
07-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Yes, but how do you tell the difference between the K90s?
They look identical, the only difference is the weight and balance.

The Asian version is 11.3 oz., 9 pts HL unstrung, whereas the US version is 12.0 oz., 12 pts HL unstrung.

Eph
07-18-2008, 03:04 PM
They look identical, the only difference is the weight and balance.

The Asian version is 11.3 oz., 9 pts HL unstrung, whereas the US version is 12.0 oz., 12 pts HL unstrung.

How do you know if it is the Asian version?

And if it wasn't made in Asia, where was it made?

chasunc03
07-18-2008, 03:16 PM
"Asian" as in marketed exclusively in asian countries. I'm pretty sure regardless of where it's marketed all wilson rackets are manufactured in asia (mostly China).

D. Nelson
07-18-2008, 04:35 PM
....where have can and would, then while the world keeps turning....

BreakPoint
07-18-2008, 04:59 PM
How do you know if it is the Asian version?
I just told you above. And you even quoted my reply.

And if it wasn't made in Asia, where was it made?
ALL Wilson racquets are made in China. "Asian versions" refer to where the racquets are SOLD, not where they're made. ALL retail racquets are made in Asia.

Gorecki
07-19-2008, 04:28 PM
....where have can and would, then while the world keeps turning....

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?

sonicserve45
07-20-2008, 11:41 AM
actually i think he singed a deal with a ping pong company (top flite ping pong) check out this source trust me I didn't believe it at first. www.tennisnunews.com/sampras'20/html/pong%002\racket

tell me what you think

nalk7
07-20-2008, 08:59 PM
actually i think he singed a deal with a ping pong company (top flite ping pong) check out this source trust me I didn't believe it at first. www.tennisnunews.com/sampras'20/html/pong%002\racket

tell me what you think

your link aint working for me :s

origmarm
07-20-2008, 10:58 PM

Agreed, it seems a strange ommision on their part. My thinking was that maybe this "K Staff 90" or whatever they are going to call it may plug that gap.

stormholloway
07-21-2008, 12:03 AM
It makes plenty of sense not to sell it worldwide. It would be a confusing marketing strategy altogether. People would begin to question the racquet itself if it came it different versions, yet looked the same.

There becomes a point when there isn't enough mass to allow appropriate power for that headsize.

BreakPoint
07-21-2008, 01:38 AM
It makes plenty of sense not to sell it worldwide. It would be a confusing marketing strategy altogether. People would begin to question the racquet itself if it came it different versions, yet looked the same.

There becomes a point when there isn't enough mass to allow appropriate power for that headsize.
Wilson (and all other companies) didn't have a problem doing this when they sold tens of millions of wood racquets in different weight versions worldwide that looked identical, so why should they have a problem now? There's obviously a demand or else they wouldn't be making racquets in different weights in the first place.

Just about every model of wood racquet came in Light, Medium, and Heavy versions, and sometimes even Light-Medium and Medium-Heavy. The only way to tell which version you had by looking at it is to look at the weight decal on the side, just like for the grip size. And nobody questioned their racquets back then.

origmarm
07-21-2008, 02:24 AM

It's an interesting one for sure. I reckon the fact that they have "team" versions of many racquets means it is dooable without too much brand impact. In this case though I see what you mean as it's "Federer's racquet" and you can't really have two types of those. Still they could have had a K90 Federer and a K90 team or something like that. It clearly has a niche given that some people seek AK90s and others like myself would love a lighter 6.0 85 or 95 type racquet.

I agree with the mass v headsize trade off. I reckon the tipping point comes around 11.3-11.5 though for a 90. Just a personal thing I guess.

stormholloway
07-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Wilson (and all other companies) didn't have a problem doing this when they sold tens of millions of wood racquets in different weight versions worldwide that looked identical, so why should they have a problem now? There's obviously a demand or else they wouldn't be making racquets in different weights in the first place.

Just about every model of wood racquet came in Light, Medium, and Heavy versions, and sometimes even Light-Medium and Medium-Heavy. The only way to tell which version you had by looking at it is to look at the weight decal on the side, just like for the grip size. And nobody questioned their racquets back then.

I think the market has spoken in this regard. They stopped doing that for some reason. We can only speculate as to why. I think it's because now we're dealing with a player's frame that is claimed to be the racquet of the world's top player. The Kramer was the big player's stick of the past but that racquet came out well after he retired, so making different versions of that one was reasonable.

I just think they want to push the image that the K-Six-One Tour is THE racquet of Roger Federer and that image is diluted if there are lighter versions of it. But personally, if you like a lighter version I think you're entitled to one, and if there is a market for it they should make it.

VGP
07-21-2008, 11:23 AM

Wasn't the manufacture of wooden rackets in different weights partly due to the consequence of the materials (wood) themselves having different densities that were beyond the manufacturer's control?

Rackets were made, then weighed, and the appropriate decal applied?

Consequently, it seems to me that a lot of wooden rackets that survived in good condition today are "light" rackets. Seems like people that played tennis seriously chose and used heavier frames, thus fewer of those have survived in decent shape.

BTW, "light" frames were typically 11.9-12.5 oz IIR.....

garyfiddler
07-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Does the Ivan Lendl racquet feel like a monoshaft?

BreakPoint
07-21-2008, 01:58 PM
I think the market has spoken in this regard.
Yes, the market has indeed spoken and there is HUGE demand for the lighter (Asian) version of the K90 worldwide. Many people in the US, Europe, and Australia try to get them.

They stopped doing that for some reason. We can only speculate as to why.
This is a case of Wilson NOT listening to the market. Because the market clearly wants a choice. And Wilson has not stopped making different weight versions, they just stopped selling all the versions worldwide (some people in Asia prefer the heavier version but can't get them).

I think it's because now we're dealing with a player's frame that is claimed to be the racquet of the world's top player. The Kramer was the big player's stick of the past but that racquet came out well after he retired, so making different versions of that one was reasonable.
Wilson sold different weight versions of the Chris Evert and Stan Smith models while they were still both on the tour and using those racquets. In any case, the name on the racquet had nothing to do with it. They make different weight versions for the same exact reason as they make different grip sizes and shoe sizes - because not every person is the same size. Can you imagine if Nike only sold one shoe size and one shorts size and claimed that "one size fits all"? It's the same with racquets. You shouldn't expect a 10 year old, 4' 10", 80lb. girl to be able to handle the same weight racquet as a 30 year old, 6' 5", 250lb. man, right?

I just think they want to push the image that the K-Six-One Tour is THE racquet of Roger Federer and that image is diluted if there are lighter versions of it.
But how do you know Federer isn't actually using the Asian version? They look identical. Some people have claimed that the way he customizes his frames that it must start off lighter than a stock US verison. That would indicate he starts off with a lighter version.

BreakPoint
07-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Wasn't the manufacture of wooden rackets in different weights partly due to the consequence of the materials (wood) themselves having different densities that were beyond the manufacturer's control?

Rackets were made, then weighed, and the appropriate decal applied?

That may be partly true, but the same models racquets used the same combinations of the same types of woods so the weight should not vary by a great deal if they didn't want them to.

If they didn't want the different weight versions on the market they would just not sell the ones that weighed way off spec once they were completed. The fact is, they WANTED to sell different weight versions for the same reason they wanted to sell different grip sizes - not everyone is the same size, same build, or of the same strength. Isn't that still true today?

Selling racquets in only one weight version is like selling dumbells in only one weight version or selling shoes or clothes in only one size. One size does NOT fit all!

origmarm
07-22-2008, 01:18 AM
This has got a bit off topic and I think I started it so apologies.

My point was that it will be interesting to see which demographic they aim for. Will it be the "serious 12oz+ mid" market (where arguably they would have a marketing overlap with the K90) or will they go for the "used to play 6.0 but now older" market, possibly more likely to relate to the Sampras endorsement and currently missing a niche racquet as such.

I can see the marketing issues in offering the AK90 in other markets, I just think they could have rebranded it or similar to avoid branding impact

stormholloway
07-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Yes, the market has indeed spoken and there is HUGE demand for the lighter (Asian) version of the K90 worldwide. Many people in the US, Europe, and Australia try to get them.

Many like the dozen or so on this forum? Not enough to justify production. Sorry.

This is a case of Wilson NOT listening to the market. Because the market clearly wants a choice. And Wilson has not stopped making different weight versions, they just stopped selling all the versions worldwide (some people in Asia prefer the heavier version but can't get them).

Again, how do you know what the market wants? Because a few people on this forum want it? There are guys at Wilson who are paid seven figures to know just what the market wants. I doubt you've done more research than they.

Wilson sold different weight versions of the Chris Evert and Stan Smith models while they were still both on the tour and using those racquets. In any case, the name on the racquet had nothing to do with it. They make different weight versions for the same exact reason as they make different grip sizes and shoe sizes - because not every person is the same size. Can you imagine if Nike only sold one shoe size and one shorts size and claimed that "one size fits all"? It's the same with racquets. You shouldn't expect a 10 year old, 4' 10", 80lb. girl to be able to handle the same weight racquet as a 30 year old, 6' 5", 250lb. man, right?

But how do you know Federer isn't actually using the Asian version? They look identical. Some people have claimed that the way he customizes his frames that it must start off lighter than a stock US verison. That would indicate he starts off with a lighter version.

Oh great. Now Federer is using an asian version? Give me a break. Wilson has a much larger line of frames now, with varying weights and specs. There isn't as much need for lighter versions of the same racquet.

Rickson
07-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Sorry your wrong.

135sqin
200g unstrung
40mm beam
14pts head heavy
14x18 string pattern

I bet Venus and Serena would love that.

BreakPoint
07-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Many like the dozen or so on this forum? Not enough to justify production. Sorry.
Um...how about the 3+ billion people in Asia? Obviously the demand is huge enough for Wilson to even bother making a lighter version. Since they already make it, why not just sell it? Almost all of its competitors are selling lighter versions of the same racquets worldwide.

BTW, there are a heck of a lot more than a "dozen" or so people outside of Asian using the Asian versions of Wilson racquets. I get e-mails from people everyday asking me where they can also get one.

Again, how do you know what the market wants? Because a few people on this forum want it? There are guys at Wilson who are paid seven figures to know just what the market wants. I doubt you've done more research than they.
Yet, Wilson did the research and found people wanted three different weight versions of their wood racquets? Were people a lot different 20 years ago than they are now? Did we all all of a sudden become the same size, weight, and have the same strength? Do we all also have more stamina and endurance now than before? I thought we were all supposed to be obese lazy bums now? Let me ask you this: If one size fits all when it comes to tennis racquets, then why does Wilson continue to bother to make racquets with different grip sizes?

And Wilson obviously doesn't know what the market wants as they've yet to come out with an answer to counter Babolat and Prince's O-Ports. Their marketing seems to consist of paying Federer 7 figures, as I highly doubt anyone in Wilson's marketing dept makes 7 figures.

Oh great. Now Federer is using an asian version? Give me a break. Wilson has a much larger line of frames now, with varying weights and specs. There isn't as much need for lighter versions of the same racquet.
Have you even tried an Asian version of the K90? The racquet head speed is tremendous. Can you generate the same racquet head speed as Federer with your US K90? And look at how skinny and muscle-less Federer is.

Yes, there's a need for a lighter version of the K90. Just look at how many people on this board complain about the weight and swingweight of the US K90 and how they get tired of swinging it after 3 hours in the 95 degree heat and 95% humidity.

FreshStew
07-28-2008, 01:04 PM
What are the differences between the Asian and US k95?

I really like my US k95 but its a lil heavy for me.:oops:

Also, where can I find the Asian k95?

stormholloway
07-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Um...how about the 3+ billion people in Asia? Obviously the demand is huge enough for Wilson to even bother making a lighter version. Since they already make it, why not just sell it? Almost all of its competitors are selling lighter versions of the same racquets worldwide.

BTW, there are a heck of a lot more than a "dozen" or so people outside of Asian using the Asian versions of Wilson racquets. I get e-mails from people everyday asking me where they can also get one.

Yet, Wilson did the research and found people wanted three different weight versions of their wood racquets? Were people a lot different 20 years ago than they are now? Did we all all of a sudden become the same size, weight, and have the same strength? Do we all also have more stamina and endurance now than before? I thought we were all supposed to be obese lazy bums now? Let me ask you this: If one size fits all when it comes to tennis racquets, then why does Wilson continue to bother to make racquets with different grip sizes?

And Wilson obviously doesn't know what the market wants as they've yet to come out with an answer to counter Babolat and Prince's O-Ports. Their marketing seems to consist of paying Federer 7 figures, as I highly doubt anyone in Wilson's marketing dept makes 7 figures.

Have you even tried an Asian version of the K90? The racquet head speed is tremendous. Can you generate the same racquet head speed as Federer with your US K90? And look at how skinny and muscle-less Federer is.

Yes, there's a need for a lighter version of the K90. Just look at how many people on this board complain about the weight and swingweight of the US K90 and how they get tired of swinging it after 3 hours in the 95 degree heat and 95% humidity.

Hell, maybe you're right.

J011yroger
07-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I bet Venus and Serena would love that.

Yo, the second serve of doom 101 course is filling fast, better get your application in soon.

J

BreakPoint
07-28-2008, 07:45 PM
What are the differences between the Asian and US k95?

I really like my US k95 but its a lil heavy for me.:oops:

Also, where can I find the Asian k95?
The Asian K95 is 310g unstrung while the US K95 is 330g unstrung. So it's the same 20g difference between the AK90 and US K90 (320g vs. 340g).

If you're interested in one, shoot me an e-mail and I can point you in the right direction.
breakpointtw@gmail.com

2nd_Serve
07-28-2008, 07:55 PM
lol.........So much arguing.

PrinceAbubu
07-29-2008, 05:19 AM
I heard Sampras is signing up with EMRIK rackets. hehehe CERAMIC version

FreshStew
07-29-2008, 02:45 PM
The Asian K95 is 310g unstrung while the US K95 is 330g unstrung. So it's the same 20g difference between the AK90 and US K90 (320g vs. 340g).

If you're interested in one, shoot me an e-mail and I can point you in the right direction.
breakpointtw@gmail.com

Thanks BreakPoint ;)

Can you feel a difference between the Asian k95 and the US k95?

I wish I could demo one.

Can I find one in the Philippines? I'm going there in a couple months.

Fedace
07-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Are they going to make a Extended version of this racket ?? Since Sampras is 2 steps slower these days, he could use the extra reach...

Eph
07-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Are they going to make a Extended version of this racket ?? Since Sampras is 2 steps slower these days, he could use the extra reach...

Dunno, but you could have yours made if you're not happy with the standard size. ; )

BreakPoint
07-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks BreakPoint ;)

Can you feel a difference between the Asian k95 and the US k95?

I wish I could demo one.

Can I find one in the Philippines? I'm going there in a couple months.
You're welcome. :)

I have never hit with either the AK95 nor the US 95 so I can't tell you for sure but I have hit extensively with both the AK90 and the US K90 and the only real difference is the weight so I'll assume it's probably the same with the K95's.

I'm not sure if you can find them in the Philippines. You'll have to ask someone who lives there.

Eph
08-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Learned something interesting about his new racquet the other day which answers 90% of the questions here.

SempreSami
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Feel free to tell us :roll:

Eph
08-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Feel free to tell us :roll:

I will - when the time is right. :) It's very...revealing, I think, and why not hold it to myself for a few moments? ; )

martin8768
08-14-2008, 05:33 PM
you forgot to mention it will have also Peanut butter to give it the buttery feel... and that i is baked in a hoven to get a crisp feel....

hmmmm baked peanut butter:):)

Racquet Man
08-14-2008, 07:25 PM
I will - when the time is right. :) It's very...revealing, I think, and why not hold it to myself for a few moments? ; )

It may be very revealing, but you certainly aren't!!!

thehunk
08-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Its funny how everybody just assumes they know things on this board without having a clue in a reality. Its so annoying.

Eph
08-15-2008, 05:28 AM
The racquet won't be extended - it will be normal size.

"Will the racquet be made for people who have followed Pete over the years and want a racquet like him, but like him, have aged?"

"Yes"

This was somebody else; I won't say more than that. He was *extremely* closed lip.

SempreSami
08-15-2008, 05:44 AM
That doesn't reveal much.

Eph
08-15-2008, 05:49 AM
That answers most of the questions that have been asked here as it'll say a bit about weight, balance, etc.

nickb
08-15-2008, 11:48 AM
That says nothing...what a load of crap. You act like you know all the right people...anybody could have got that information out of Roman!

Eph
08-15-2008, 12:47 PM
It wasn't from Roman. ; )

Racquet Man
08-15-2008, 01:00 PM
It wasn't from Roman. ; )

Eph, were talking to Ron Roccho of Wilson or possibly Nate Fergussen or Ron Yu? If so, maybe this post would warrant more attention. I doubt that to be the case however.