PDA

View Full Version : Cross string gauge and the effects on slices

Loco4Tennis
07-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Iíve been meaning to ask this for a while :shock:

Has anyone noticed a difference in slices when you change string gauge on the crosses??

A common setup I use is a 17g poly main and 16g synt.gut cross

While string used and tension can have an effect as well, the string gauge on the crosses seems to have a considerable effect on the slices

I understand that spin production on most shots are handled by the mains mostly, but I believe slices are a different beast.

YULitle
07-14-2008, 11:55 AM
It should help as well, if the idea behind is stands up. But, I've heard that testing does not support the idea in the first place.

Zach
07-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Loco4Tennis, have you tried a new string and experienced this? If so, that might effect your slices.

Loco4Tennis
07-14-2008, 06:55 PM
i should start by clarifying a bit, i am talking about baseline slices, aproach slices, drop shots, and alike, not perticularly slice serves!!

yeah for what ever reason when i hit with a 17g mains and 17g crosses the slice seems to have a better effect or spin with the 17g crosses
when i slice it seems almost as if the plane of the string bed is sharing the load on the mains/crosses while it "bites", the ball, almost all the other shots, you will notise a dominant string take the load more than the other, usually the mains, but in a slice, i tend to notise the cross string more so than on other shots
when i have a 16g on the crosses, the slice is ok, but i definatly notise a reduction in spin
if you notise how your racquet is angled at impact on a slice (not a slice server), the racquet is not horizontal to the ground, or vertical. but rather on a very close to 45 degree angle, making the string bed squares bite into the ball with both the mains and crosses at almost a equal angle and forced to bite equaly into the ball

or maybe im just seeing things that are not there, :-)
thats why i was wondering if anyone has ntoise a change in spin when chaging the cross strings to a different gauge