PDA

View Full Version : Trying Natural Gut

slkbassist
07-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Hi!

I've been playing most of my life (started at 5, and am now 22), and yet I've never used Gut. Primarily because: 1) The cost, 2) the lack of availability unless ordered 3) I always wondered if it would smell.

Anyways I've decided on trying Gut.
Just wondering if anyone could list their thoughts on the best valued Gut string.
And also should I alter the tension than my normal standards. ( I string synthetics at either 63 or 64 in both mains and crosses)-> and should there be any specifications I should mention to the stringer before it is done?
Oh and will there be an odd smell like I am keeping sausage casings or meat in my bag?

Rollingpotato
07-14-2008, 04:29 PM
klip legend or babolat tonic+ should be a good start point.

The tension change depends on what kind of syn gut you're using right now. I usually strung NG 3-4 pounds higher than the dunlop max comfort ,my common string choice.

And the Natual Gut smells good, cos i believe nowadays manufacturers have added different chemicals in the gut to enhance the performance.

jim e
07-14-2008, 04:34 PM
The string does not stink!
Get a good quality gut, so you can see how good it really is, don't buy a cheap one, you get what you pay for. (My favorite is VS touch 16g).
I string mine just a few lbs. higher than my synthetic.
I know for myself, once you use it you will not want anything else.

stules
07-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I have been using all gut for over a year now. I am not a string breaker, and get about 35 hours of play. It is consistant in playability until it breaks as well, making it my opinion cheaper than a synthetic that plays great for 12 hours, then is dead, long before it breaks. You do your own maths on current cost of stringing, versus NG for your first try. You may need to keep a bad weather racquet handy for the wettish days.

slkbassist
07-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I will definitely give it a shot- I'll look around and see if there is a pro shop in hiding around me, otherwise trusty TW and expensive stringing from SportsAuth will have to do.

10isNE1?
07-14-2008, 04:58 PM
I have used Babolat gut on the mains in the past and I loved the way the ball stays on the strings. I stopped using it and went to synthetic gut, because I felt the gut went dead pretty quickly. I never break strings, but it seemed like it got kinda stiff and lost control after a match or two. I'm considering trying it again with gut on the mains and the crosses this time and see how long the feel lasts.

jim e
07-14-2008, 05:14 PM
For me with all nat gut, the string actually got better the more I was using it.But I am not a string breaker, and hit relatively flat, so they last me a good amount of time as well.Once you try it you will know how it plays for you.Everyones style and preferences are different.
I string my own , and am very carefull handeling it, and doing the proper job. I suggest that an individule stringer that is comfortable with stringing gut, or a pro shop, as they would want your return buisness, and would be your best shot at getting a proper job done (in my opinion).

smarion2
07-14-2008, 05:26 PM
im about to try it as well. How sensitive is it to the weather? I live in Tampa so its like humid to the point where you start sweating just from being outside.

jim e
07-14-2008, 05:31 PM
As long as you don't get the strings real wet. I used all gut back in the 60's, and it is even more durable and moisture resistant to a degree, do to the coating it now has.If it is raining out, or puddles of water on the court, I will use another racquet for situations like that.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
07-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi!

I've been playing most of my life (started at 5, and am now 22), and yet I've never used Gut. Primarily because: 1) The cost, 2) the lack of availability unless ordered 3) I always wondered if it would smell.

Just wondering if anyone could list their thoughts on the best valued Gut string.
And also should I alter the tension than my normal standards. ( I string synthetics at either 63 or 64 in both mains and crosses)-> and should there be any specifications I should mention to the stringer before it is done?
Oh and will there be an odd smell like I am keeping sausage casings or meat in my bag?
i got a 1/2 set of Klip legend if you want it its yours... i tried Vs gut so...yeah not going back to kilp..

slkbassist
07-15-2008, 03:57 AM
i got a 1/2 set of Klip legend if you want it its yours... i tried Vs gut so...yeah not going back to kilp..

Thanks for the offer, but I think I may trya full frame of gut first before mixing

smarion2
07-15-2008, 04:11 AM
haha.... i'll take it!!!

kuhdlie
07-15-2008, 06:18 PM
does natural gut have an expiration date? is it reliable to buy natural gut off ****? could it be really old gut or something? any expert advice is appreciated, thanks.

kuhdlie
07-15-2008, 06:20 PM
does natural gut have an expiration date? is it reliable to buy natural gut off ****? could it be really old gut or something? any expert advice is appreciated, thanks.

does natural gut have an expiration date? is it reliable to buy natural gut off e*bay? could it be really old gut or something? any expert advice is appreciated, thanks.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
07-15-2008, 08:02 PM
i wouldnt buy it off E bay if you reseal the bag it may last longer but its best to use it asap

LuckyR
07-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi!

I too never tried gut as a kid. I agree you should: try a full setup first, also try a good quality (if you try a second rate string and aren't impressed, would you be satisfied that you gave it a real try?). No smell. I would add that I would seek out a stringer who does gut all the time (perhaps not SportsAuthority...) Gut holds tension well so depending where in the lifetime of your previous string you were trying to duplicate the sensation, will determine a tension change, if any.

slkbassist
07-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I too never tried gut as a kid. I agree you should: try a full setup first, also try a good quality (if you try a second rate string and aren't impressed, would you be satisfied that you gave it a real try?). No smell. I would add that I would seek out a stringer who does gut all the time (perhaps not SportsAuthority...) Gut holds tension well so depending where in the lifetime of your previous string you were trying to duplicate the sensation, will determine a tension change, if any.

Thanks. There is a USTA center back in my home town, so I guess I'll go there and string in a month or so. Until then I'll play with what I have.