PDA

View Full Version : Cheapo Canvas Reeboks?

Alex1
07-14-2008, 04:49 PM
I can get cheap canvas ($30) Reebok Club Aces locally. I'm new to tennis and don't know how important shoes are. Shoes wear out so fast on me I don't want anything expensive.

Any know about these? Anyone have any recommendations on tennis shoes in general?

Alex1
07-14-2008, 04:50 PM
PS - I should have posted a link. Here it is:
http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/footwear/mens/court&selectedSKU=0504-02652-5784&start=8

HyperHorse
07-15-2008, 05:32 AM
I think you're better off with the Tirand 3.

150mph_
07-15-2008, 06:00 AM
more expensive shoes last longer...
my barricade 4's lasted me 2 years of constant wear

goober
07-15-2008, 07:32 AM
I can get cheap canvas ($30) Reebok Club Aces locally. I'm new to tennis and don't know how important shoes are. Shoes wear out so fast on me I don't want anything expensive.

Any know about these? Anyone have any recommendations on tennis shoes in general?

Shoes are very important. They are the most important piece of equipment other than maybe your racquet. Canvas shoes have very little support and unless you are playing "hit and giggle" tennis I wouldn't wear them.

If you are on a budget you can get real tennis shoes for slightly more on sale at many places. Look in the TW sales section, around the internet and Nike/adidas and reebok outlets. If you are worried about a durability get one with a 6 month guarantee. I usually pay less than $50 for most of my shoes and that includes pretty much all the high end shoes from Nike and adidas that have come out in the last 3-4 years. You just can't get the most current models at that price. Coupon + outlet can land you some sweet deals.

Alex1
07-15-2008, 08:53 AM
What about Wilson mesh Pro-Staff (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMSWILSON-MM.html)? They're only $43. Are they any good?

HyperHorse
07-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Shoes are as important to tennis as tyres are to race cars.
This goes up exponentially with your skill rating, playing style and intensity of play.
It's cheaper to get great shoes and break those than screw your ankles/knees/back thru the pounding on the courts and try to fix those with rehabilitation and surgery.
Your body is a temple, so respect it.
Now for the patented HyperHorse tm all in one shoe diagnosis method...
How tall are you, what is your weight and do u have a low/high arch in your foot?
Once you have told me what i ask for, i shall recommend a few shoes.

Alex1
07-15-2008, 09:49 AM
HyperHorse:
I'm 1.8m/6ft and 100 kg/220lbs. Normal arch as far as I know. I play recreational level tennis, maybe 3.0.

HyperHorse
07-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Geez.. shorter and heavier than I...
Shoes are a very personal thing but for you i'd suggest shoes with the maximum cushioning/support/stability...
So, Rbk Matchday/KFS Pumps, Babolat Propulse, Barricade 5, K-Swiss Stabilor SLS, Nike Breath Frees/Cage, Prince T20...
You get the idea, basically at your weight you don't want to hold back. Especially if you're looking to improve.

spkyEngrish
07-16-2008, 01:43 AM

Very important. Good shoes last longer anyways, and won't give you knee/ankle soft tissue problems down the line.

spkyEngrish
07-16-2008, 01:46 AM
BTW, if price is an issue, then go to online stores like TW and shop last year's models. Those are usually about 1/2 off. Stick with good brands (Nike, Asics, Adidas, Yonex, etc.) and models specifically made for tennis.

goosala
07-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Yes, the Wilson Pro Staff Mesh shoe is decent for the price. The Goodyear outsole and Sorbothane insole are good at being durable and cushioned. The classic old school look is cool too. I used it during my college playing days.