PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar Questions

ak47m
07-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Hola, I've been reading the forums quite a bit about strings but haven't posted anything yet since I like to look for answers before asking questions. I take fast, loopy strokes at the ball and hit with some decent topspin. Well I've been reading up on kevlar strings and from what I see they have great bite on the ball, durability is the best, low elasticity, etc... which appeals to me. I'm planning on stringing my racquet (leaded-up LM Radical MP) with Ashaway Kevlar and a synthetic gut because my local stringer charges 15-20 bucks which I hate spending everytime strings break. Makes me want to learn how to string my own racquets, which I'll probably end up doing. Poly strings are eating my money for their worth.

1.) For my 18/20 string pattern, what gauge of kevlar do you recommend, 17 or 18? For 16/19 string patterns (I got some open racquets)? I don't think there is that much a difference. 16 seems to thick and 18g seems to thin (Goldilocks situation).

2.) Which is better paired with kevlar, Prince Duraflex or Gosen OG Sheep Micro? and what gauge should I use, 16 or 17? or even better, what synthetic gut do YOU recommend?

3.) If I string kevlar at 48-50lbs, what should I string the crosses at? My guess would be at 50-55lbs. Hybrid strings are recommended to have a tension variance of 2-3lbs and a maximum of 5... does this apply to the kevlar/synth as well? Include some common tension combos that you know of.

Sorry for a long post, but these are questions I thought of and searched for but couldn't find (since the answers are all over the place, hard to gather them up). Well there goes my first post, gracias en advance :-D

Mansewerz
07-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Hola, I've been reading the forums quite a bit about strings but haven't posted anything yet since I like to look for answers before asking questions. I take fast, loopy strokes at the ball and hit with some decent topspin. Well I've been reading up on kevlar strings and from what I see they have great bite on the ball, durability is the best, low elasticity, etc... which appeals to me. I'm planning on stringing my racquet (leaded-up LM Radical MP) with Ashaway Kevlar and a synthetic gut because my local stringer charges 15-20 bucks which I hate spending everytime strings break. Makes me want to learn how to string my own racquets, which I'll probably end up doing. Poly strings are eating my money for their worth.

1.) For my 18/20 string pattern, what gauge of kevlar do you recommend, 17 or 18? For 16/19 string patterns (I got some open racquets)? I don't think there is that much a difference. 16 seems to thick and 18g seems to thin (Goldilocks situation).

Try 17g. 16 will most likely be too thick and I heard when you use 18, the cross just saws right into it!

2.) Which is better paired with kevlar, Prince Duraflex or Gosen OG Sheep Micro? and what gauge should I use, 16 or 17? or even better, what synthetic gut do YOU recommend?

Never tried Kevlar, but Ashaway makes sets that come with half Kevlar, half syn gut. It's called Ashaway Crossfire (II?) if i'm not mistaken.

3.) If I string kevlar at 48-50lbs, what should I string the crosses at? My guess would be at 50-55lbs. Hybrid strings are recommended to have a tension variance of 2-3lbs and a maximum of 5... does this apply to the kevlar/synth as well? Include some common tension combos that you know of.

There is a great thread that Nickb made about this. Try what he tried and adjust from there.

EDIT: Here, Nickb tried 48/52

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=190596

Sorry for a long post, but these are questions I thought of and searched for but couldn't find (since the answers are all over the place, hard to gather them up). Well there goes my first post, gracias en advance :-D

Answers in bold

ak47m
07-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Hmm I see the individual sets that you are talking about, the Ashaway hybrids. Are there any reels of 17g though? All I see is 16, 17, and 18 gauge kevlar reels. 17g sounds good though, I'll try it. I was also looking at that thread before. 52lbs seems loose for a synthetic gut, I can understand 48 because of kevlar's properties. But I guess it makes sense since crosses are shorter lengths than the mains. How elastic is synthetic gut compared to poly?

Oh, and thanks for the fast reply, appreciate it!

Mansewerz
07-14-2008, 05:33 PM
NP. If you're looking into reels, then I understand your syn gut choices. The ranks of elasticity are

natural gut---->multifilaments---->syn gut----->poly-------------------------->kevlar.

I wouldn't know because i've only ever used Synthetic gut.

Infl8edEg0
07-14-2008, 07:20 PM
My current setup (now) is 49 kevlar 52 syn gut. I don't suggest using kevlar tho, I'd get poly. Kevlar is the culprit that right killed my arm I think, haha. I'm taking a break from tennis after I find my new racket and strings. If u do get it, get 17 gauge, 16 is too thick.

FH2FH
07-14-2008, 08:49 PM
assuming you've tried polys already? kevlar will be harsh if you're not used to it. ashaway is softer than others i've tried though.

you'll have to try it a few times to get it where you like probably. i use poly for a cross, but you might start with a syn gut. i string the kevlar 3lbs lower usually. try 17?

dallastxtennis
07-15-2008, 04:00 AM
Forten Blend is very good IMO, I have not try Ashaway yet, my recently setup is 48/52 and is very nice.

f2fanatic
07-15-2008, 04:13 AM
I string Ashaway kevlar at 48 and ProSupex Titan 16 at 55 in a Microgel radical pro and it is really nice if you like the ball to pocket and make a nice sound when you it in the middle!!
Next time I may try to string the Titan a little lower 53 or 54.

Bud
07-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Hmm I see the individual sets that you are talking about, the Ashaway hybrids. Are there any reels of 17g though? All I see is 16, 17, and 18 gauge kevlar reels. 17g sounds good though, I'll try it. I was also looking at that thread before. 52lbs seems loose for a synthetic gut, I can understand 48 because of kevlar's properties. But I guess it makes sense since crosses are shorter lengths than the mains. How elastic is synthetic gut compared to poly?

Oh, and thanks for the fast reply, appreciate it!

If you go with an 18g kevlar, make sure your SG is textureless. If it's got a slight texture and you hit with medium to heavy topspin, the crosses will saw through the thin kevlar mains. If you're a flat hitter it's not much of a problem.

If you go with the OG sheep 17/18 and 18g kevlar, try the kevlar mains at 45 and SG crosses at 48. If that's too stiff, go to 43/45.

Bud
07-15-2008, 02:35 PM
My current setup (now) is 49 kevlar 52 syn gut. I don't suggest using kevlar tho, I'd get poly. Kevlar is the culprit that right killed my arm I think, haha. I'm taking a break from tennis after I find my new racket and strings. If u do get it, get 17 gauge, 16 is too thick.

Kevlar is strung too high. What kind of machine did you have this strung on? Constant pull? What type of SG did you use?

Bud
07-15-2008, 02:36 PM
assuming you've tried polys already? kevlar will be harsh if you're not used to it. ashaway is softer than others i've tried though.

you'll have to try it a few times to get it where you like probably. i use poly for a cross, but you might start with a syn gut. i string the kevlar 3lbs lower usually. try 17?

I think the best string to cross with kevlar mains is a soft SG or a simple and cheap nylon string (Forten Nylon).

Kevlar/poly hybrid will need to be strung very low... like 40/40 or 40/45 max.

jxs653
07-15-2008, 06:09 PM
I recently strung my racquet with Kevlar main and multi cross at 62 and I like the feel a lot; it's firm and hard, and nicely elastic.

Bud
07-16-2008, 04:17 AM
I recently strung my racquet with Kevlar main and multi cross at 62 and I like the feel a lot; it's firm and hard, and nicely elastic.

If your elbow starts popping... dial it down or you're in for a nice bout of tennis elbow.

dman72
07-16-2008, 07:57 AM
My NXG midplus is at 43 mains 48 cross with Ashway crossfire 17. I love it. I'll keep going lower.

McLovin
07-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Take a look at Gamma TNT Fusion Plus. Its a Kevlar-blend. I've been using the mains (which you can buy as a reel) with 17g NG in the crosses for years:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-TNTF19.html

I know what you are thinking....19g?!?! Are you high? But indoors, this stuff lasts 6 - 8 matches, 3 - 4 on clay. And that is stringing it 56 & 60 in a 16x20 (Babolat Pure Control +). I hit fairly hard with a good amount of topspin.

The problem w/ Kevlar is, while it may last forever, it goes dead after a while. I'd rather have my strings break than cut them out, but that's just my preference...