PDA

View Full Version : Wanna try Luxilon strings!

pabletion
07-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey, I've been meaning to give em a try, I kno theyre expensive, but everywhere I go I hear they're worth it, are they? I wanna try Luxilon ALU Power, and/or Rough. Any suggestions? I'm currently using Gosen Polylon Ice 17g on mains @ 56 lbs, and Gosen OG Micro Sheep 16g crosses @ 58 lbs, in my Bab Pure Storm Team. I play with a western grip, 2hbh, heavy topspin, baseliner..... About 4.5 player. Thank you very much for your comments, suggestions on other strings, etc...

Should I try the LUxilon as a hybrid or full set? What adviced hybrid setups could you recommend? Should I use my current Gosen OG sheep as crosses?

Thanks all....

smarion2
07-15-2008, 11:39 AM
I just tried out the BB original. I thought when the string job was fresh it was incredible. I really liked the control I had with the ball. However it seemed like they went dead pretty quick and they started to hurt my arm. I'd say everything is worth trying and it seems like poly is pretty well suited to your game.

Lefty5
07-15-2008, 11:45 AM
over-rated, buy something cheaper, be happier

ryangoring
07-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Hey Pabletion, check out Nickb's poly review in this section. You should out what you are looking for here.

Eric4
07-15-2008, 11:47 AM

luxilon strings are definitely not over-rated. they are some of the bes poly strings out, which is why many pro's use the string.

give them a try, just remember, they go dead fast

FH2FH

Completely agree. The only places/people I know that use em are salespeople or those who haven't tried anything else.

Fedace

like Kirschbaum proline 2. has it all. power, control, spin

FH2FH
07-15-2008, 11:52 AM
luxilon strings are definitely not over-rated. they are some of the bes poly strings out, which is why many pro's use the string.

give them a try, just remember, they go dead fast

oh they're great if you can afford to restring several times a week. everyone here has $60 a week to spend on strings, right? :rolleyes:

150mph_
07-15-2008, 11:56 AM
i dont see whats wrong with luxilon...
good strings

pabletion
07-15-2008, 12:05 PM
How would they compare to my current setup? I mean, could I expect a BIG difference? I would most likely want an improvement in spin and power, so what other strings could I try? My current setup is actually cheap, and it last a long time, about a month... Ive heard Luxilon strings last forever, dat true?

Fumoffu
07-15-2008, 01:28 PM
How would they compare to my current setup? I mean, could I expect a BIG difference? I would most likely want an improvement in spin and power, so what other strings could I try? My current setup is actually cheap, and it last a long time, about a month... Ive heard Luxilon strings last forever, dat true?

You're in luck. I used to use the exact same strings you did (well, full job on the Ice rather) and have am an avid poly fan. Polyon Ice, to be blunt, is crap. When you first change, you might actually not feel like these are the "best ever", because you've become used to these strings. To be honest, I didn't like Alu for a while. Once I stopped using Ice, and realized what a terribad string it was, I tried it again and realized the initial 3-4 hours with the stuff are amazing. Insane amount of pop with all the spin you could need.

pabletion
07-16-2008, 09:06 AM
You're in luck. I used to use the exact same strings you did (well, full job on the Ice rather) and have am an avid poly fan. Polyon Ice, to be blunt, is crap. When you first change, you might actually not feel like these are the "best ever", because you've become used to these strings. To be honest, I didn't like Alu for a while. Once I stopped using Ice, and realized what a terribad string it was, I tried it again and realized the initial 3-4 hours with the stuff are amazing. Insane amount of pop with all the spin you could need.

Awesome, I actually used the Polylon Ice as a full setup before, in a Bab Pure Control, and then Dunlop 300g. Yeah, I didnt really like it, felt sooo stiff and didnt get much power; I used to buy it because it was sooo cheap and because it lasted forever, but then realized its not worth it. Then I bought Gosen OG Micro to try my hybrid, still using Poly Ice for mains, for durability issues; it feels much better of course, with the soft crosses. Do you use the ALU as a full setup? or Hybrid? Should I try ALU as mains and my Gosen OG as crosses?

Eric4
07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
oh they're great if you can afford to restring several times a week. everyone here has $60 a week to spend on strings, right? :rolleyes:

some people can afford that if they feel the strings help their game that much. if you own a stringing machine and a reel of luxilon, its not too bad

h7hugo
07-16-2008, 02:00 PM
fresh luxilon is one of the best things you'll ever feel

DLtoken
07-16-2008, 02:34 PM
I have only used two different kinds of Luxilon and both strings did not justify the extra money spent. Quite frankly, there is a lot of competition out there (thank god), so, the other options are not too different than Lux, IME.

AJK1
07-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Try Luxilon Fluoro, the best i've used and i've used lots.
Am currently hybriding with Multi but am considering full Fluoro string job.

Ljubicic for number1
07-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Totally over rated for me too. I would take cyberflash or blue gear over them even if they were the same price.