PDA

View Full Version : I natural gut causing me to hit long?

Azzurri
07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Something has happened to my game. My Fh and serve over the past 2 months have been affected in some way. I am constantly hitting my FH long. I mean its BAD. I can barely keep them in unless I just "push" or hit weak flat shots. Every time I try to hit out, it goes long, real long.

I was conversing with Samster when I remembered thinking could it be the Natural Gut. Does NG cause shots to go long? I have both my racquets strung at 60 lbs, so not sure what to do.

superstition
07-15-2008, 07:42 PM
If you're using the same tension with gut that you did with synthetic, then, yes, it's going to be more powerful. You'll need to increase the tension, use a thicker gauge, or adjust your service technique.

Princegod
07-15-2008, 07:45 PM
You could try a natural gut hybrid with a synthetic cross to tame the power a little.

Azzurri
07-16-2008, 08:23 PM
If you're using the same tension with gut that you did with synthetic, then, yes, it's going to be more powerful. You'll need to increase the tension, use a thicker gauge, or adjust your service technique.

yes, I use the same tension. How many pounds up should I go if I normally string syn gut at 58 lbs?

Thicker gauge? so the 15g will give me more control?

Azzurri
07-16-2008, 08:24 PM
You could try a natural gut hybrid with a synthetic cross to tame the power a little.

I use Gosen Sheep on the cross. Superstition mentioned the tension could be the reason. I just hit long too often and it was not that was prior to playing nat gut.

fastdunn
07-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Something has happened to my game. My Fh and serve over the past 2 months have been affected in some way. I am constantly hitting my FH long. I mean its BAD. I can barely keep them in unless I just "push" or hit weak flat shots. Every time I try to hit out, it goes long, real long.

I was conversing with Samster when I remembered thinking could it be the Natural Gut. Does NG cause shots to go long? I have both my racquets strung at 60 lbs, so not sure what to do.

From my experiences, I initially hit everything long with my first NG (even with 5-10% tighter tension than synthetic). The reflection angle of NG string bed is just different from synthetic one.

I needed 10-20 hour of playing time until I fully adjusted to NG. Shortly after that I experienced unbelievable zoing experience.

ClubHoUno
07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
From my experiences, I initially hit everything long with my first NG (even with 5-10% tighter tension than synthetic). The reflection angle of NG string bed is just different from synthetic one.

I needed 10-20 hour of playing time until I fully adjusted to NG. Shortly after that I experienced unbelievable zoing experience.

DITTO !!!!!!

babolat141
07-17-2008, 06:10 PM
will a thicker gauge give you less power?

Azzurri
07-20-2008, 09:13 AM
played the new Head MG MP today. I consistently hit the ball in the court today. I rarely hit long. Ironic thing is I played with an all Natural gut string. I am thinking my stringer (I string myself with a Klippermate) is the problem. This stick was strung up at 58 lbs and they felt tighter than when I string mine at 60 lbs.

Richie Rich
07-20-2008, 09:45 AM
when changing strings you'll have to tinker around with tension/gauge until you get it right. very rarely have i switched strings and kept same tension/gauge. only thing is trial and error with gut is expensive :lol:

2nd_Serve
07-20-2008, 11:14 AM

Thicker gauges just tend to give more control. Because the stringbed will become more "closed". That's why it's said 18x20's give you more control. Because the racket stringbed is more "closed".

superstition
07-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes

I personally don't like anything thicker than 17, though.

Azzurri
07-20-2008, 05:31 PM
when changing strings you'll have to tinker around with tension/gauge until you get it right. very rarely have i switched strings and kept same tension/gauge. only thing is trial and error with gut is expensive :lol:

read some info on here reagrding the tension gauge on Klippermates. They may be 5 or more lbs off. So my next string will be 63 on the Klipper.:)

Azzurri
07-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Thicker gauges just tend to give more control. Because the stringbed will become more "closed". That's why it's said 18x20's give you more control. Because the racket stringbed is more "closed".

this could be another reason why I was able to have more control on my shots, the MG is an 18X20 pattern.

sciwriter
07-21-2008, 11:13 AM
I had the same problem with using natural gut and the ball going long. A friend noticed that I wasn't hitting the ball out front as much as I should, and I hope I've solved this.

Was it just poor technique on my part that suddenly cropped up? Or was a combination of poor technique and characteristics of natural gut? I couldn't say. But the problem became evident or seemed to be accentuated when I began playing with natural gut.

I'm not a terribly skilled player -- a 3.5 -- and it seems likely that natural gut highlights poor technique more readily than other strings do and forces the player to get advice and change and improve.

My game has improved overall.

150mph_
07-21-2008, 11:21 AM
i tried NG and it was wayyyyy too powerful... the feel was great but not worth the price nor the overpowering characteristics

Azzurri
07-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I had the same problem with using natural gut and the ball going long. A friend noticed that I wasn't hitting the ball out front as much as I should, and I hope I've solved this.

Was it just poor technique on my part that suddenly cropped up? Or was a combination of poor technique and characteristics of natural gut? I couldn't say. But the problem became evident or seemed to be accentuated when I began playing with natural gut.

I'm not a terribly skilled player -- a 3.5 -- and it seems likely that natural gut highlights poor technique more readily than other strings do and forces the player to get advice and change and improve.

My game has improved overall.

Hitting more outfront, that could be an issue. I am playing tonight, so I will try to hit the ball a little more out front.

This will be the last gut job I use. The only benefit for me is the tension maintanence.