PDA

View Full Version : Reason for poly?

Venetian
07-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Ok, I understand that polys are stiffer and so they allow you to swing out a bit more without having the ball go long. But...doesn't stringing syn gut at a higher tension achieve the same result? I used to string with syn gut at about 64lbs, now I use poly mains and drop the tension down to 60lbs, but the end result feels exactly the same to me. So my question is, why are polys so popular if the same result can be gotten from stringing gut/syn gut tighter?

Return_Ace
07-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Because stringing rackets all time at 70lbs isn't really a good idea ? :?

Also probably durability since they should last longer than a syn. gut.

And if you can't tell the difference when playing with a poly and when with a syn gut :?.

tbini87
07-16-2008, 08:18 AM
many people break syn gut in just a few hours. stringing it higher makes it even easier to break. also, poly doesn't end up moving all over the place like syn gut. if you aren't a string breaker and think it feels the same, then there is nothing wrong with sticking with syn gut (it will probably help your arm!).

the wise wizard
07-16-2008, 08:19 AM
spin, durability, control

nickb
07-16-2008, 08:24 AM
If you get the same amount of spin with synthetic gut and dont feel a difference you dont have the racket head speed for poly. If you dont have the head speed = no point.

anirut
07-16-2008, 08:27 AM
If you get the same amount of spin with synthetic gut and dont feel a difference you dont have the racket head speed for poly. If you dont have the head speed = no point.

Would it mean that a flat hitter like me would be better off with syn gut than poly? Just curious.

nickb
07-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Would it mean that a flat hitter like me would be better off with syn gut than poly? Just curious.

No...if you are flat hitter and have the racket head speed it will increase control and add spin to your flatter strokes.

Poly is stiff...if you dont swing fast enough it will not bend much...poly only really works well at high swing speed.

Nick

Andyk028
07-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Also, Polyester strings tend to move back in to place once the ball is hit...thats a good thing.

spkyEngrish
07-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Poly's distinguishing characteristics - compared to synguts, multis or gut - are mainly high stiffness, fast tension loss, lower power, no string movement, a dead feeling stringbed, greater durability, and increased spin potential due to lower power. Some or all of these may be considered "benefits" by certain people. Personally, I like it for the lack of movement and increased spin potential. The other things are compromises that I have to live with to get the pluses.

Good news is that the newer generation copolys are slowly bridging this gap. Now you can have the good stuff like no movement, durability and more spin potential without negatives like the excessive stiffness to tear up your arm, ridiculous tension loss, or no feel.

anirut
07-16-2008, 08:40 AM
No...if you are flat hitter and have the racket head speed it will increase control and add spin to your flatter strokes.

Poly is stiff...if you dont swing fast enough it will not bend much...poly only really works well at high swing speed.

Nick

Thanks, Nick, for your clarification.

I've just got my Redondo up with BigAce 1.22 @60 mains and SpiralFlex 1.30 @ 56 cross. Wanted to hit but it rained. ... too bad ...

Kcraig
07-16-2008, 09:06 AM

Nick

I agree totally with this--I am a pretty flat hitter and the poly mains and now crosses in my gut mains really allows for a harder swing w/ less fear of losing it long--also I can get more top on angles then I ever could with all syn gut. You want some real nasty spin even on flat balls and slices--use/try some blue gear--your slice will literally stop and shoot left!! NASTEEEE:twisted:

anirut
07-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Whoa.... BlueGear ... Gotta try that too ... Thanks for the suggestion, Kcraig.

Kcraig
07-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Whoa.... BlueGear ... Gotta try that too ... Thanks for the suggestion, Kcraig.

BG 1.28 is nasty--string it about 55 w/ a soft syn gut cross like Supex Titan or even spiral flex and watchout!

Loco4Tennis
07-16-2008, 09:18 AM
very good points listed above
one i think did not get mentioned was that poly's allow you to use a smaller thinner string gauge, such as 17g or even 18g without the fear of snapping as fast, hence the spin production will increase because of that too

coolblue123
07-16-2008, 09:38 AM
But one thing I've noticed, poly is alittle hard on the arm. Or is it just me?

Zach
07-16-2008, 09:45 AM
But one thing I've noticed, poly is alittle hard on the arm. Or is it just me?

That can vary a lot, but generally they are harder on the arm for MOST people.

ohplease
07-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Ok, I understand that polys are stiffer and so they allow you to swing out a bit more without having the ball go long. But...doesn't stringing syn gut at a higher tension achieve the same result? I used to string with syn gut at about 64lbs, now I use poly mains and drop the tension down to 60lbs, but the end result feels exactly the same to me. So my question is, why are polys so popular if the same result can be gotten from stringing gut/syn gut tighter?

What makes poly different is its stiffness varies with the amount of energy at impact. In other words, there's a non-linear characteristic to its response, where gradually ratcheting up the speed of ball & swing will not give the expected increase in sensation from the string bed - at least not if you're coming from other stringing materials. For better or worse, poly will respond more stiffly, more quickly - which is likely what makes it perform as it does.

Stringing natural gut or synthetics tighter will probably approximate poly (or vice versa) for a particular speed of swing (say rally groundstrokes) - but the performance will likely be very different for all out groundies, touch groundies, volleys, severs, etc. etc. etc.

If you're not seeing a difference between synthetic and poly, I'd say that's because your swing speed tends to be in a range where 60 on poly and 64 on synthetic tend to respond the same. If you were to take two frames strung side by side and hit some shots with much more swing speed and some with much less, I'd bet there would be a wide variety of situations where those two examples wouldn't feel similar at all.