PDA

View Full Version : Making Gut Last

steve s
07-16-2008, 01:32 PM
I have always played with the same side of the racquet for the forehand and the other side for the backhand. So I hit my forehand, serve, overhead on one side of the strings, backhand (which is weaker on the other side of the strings. Now I am rotating the racquet face every other time I come out to play to get a more even play pattern on the strings.

Strings are lasting longer now. Says this, there will break next time out!!!

scotus
07-16-2008, 02:14 PM
You're a bit obsessive-compulsive with your racquet, aren't you?

I don't and can't track of which side to hold up. I constantly twirl the racquet in my hand when I wait to receive serves (a la Federer).

DLtoken
07-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah, this is a little intense... I must admit though, I do think there is a more comfortable side of a grip once it has been "broken in".

smarion2
07-16-2008, 03:26 PM
yeah man im with you. I'm always twirlin my racquet around i'm pretty impressed you can keep up with which side you use with which actually. haha wut do you do if you drop it or something... new string job?

tennisfreak15347
07-16-2008, 05:38 PM
aha, i started doing the same thing. I switch to the other racquet face after every set when I play people.

jiericji
07-16-2008, 06:22 PM
lol. i dont think steve is weird. i do the say thing he does. for some reason, my fingers always fall on the creases of my grip so i always use the same side for my forehands. even when i twirl it. when i stop i usually, lets say 90% of the time, end up on the same side i always use fro my forehands. idk why but it sorta bothers me too. especially since i use my forehand a lot more than my back. who knows, maybe im just a little crazy.:confused::confused::confused:

steve s
07-17-2008, 08:54 AM
I am up to 50 hours, give or take. If I reach 60, this method is a winner for me. I don't understand you "normal' guys.

nickb
07-17-2008, 09:02 AM
50 hours...:shock:

I think any string would last for you if you can get over 50 hours (using whatever method) with natural gut.

feyya
07-17-2008, 09:09 AM
50 hours...:shock:

I think any string would last for you if you can get over 50 hours (using whatever method) with natural gut.

Sorry for being off topic, But Nick what happened to Vantage, still deciding on a spec?

2nd_Serve
07-17-2008, 06:23 PM
String savers cause less abrasion with the other string it's on top of.

mokong
07-17-2008, 08:36 PM
I've read some apply varnish on gut before putting on the crosses. Me, I apply a thin coat of any clear epoxy with a used toothbrush to guard against fraying.

I found a way of saving gut with my homemade string saver. 1st time I tried it on a 14/17 string pattern, the 20+ year old victor imperial gut last me 6 months playing on dirt, wore out the original bb on the 4th month, had to replace cross with bht 16 when it broke at the top grommet after 6 months of use. Maybe if I applied oil or used a fresher gut I'm sure the gut should last like forever.

YULitle
07-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Make gut last longer?

Don't hit with it.

kelz
07-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Make gut last longer?

Don't hit with it.

genius response

nickb
07-18-2008, 02:59 AM
Sorry for being off topic, But Nick what happened to Vantage, still deciding on a spec?

It didnt go as planned.

Nick

NoBadMojo
07-18-2008, 12:25 PM
I have always played with the same side of the racquet for the forehand and the other side for the backhand. So I hit my forehand, serve, overhead on one side of the strings, backhand (which is weaker on the other side of the strings. Now I am rotating the racquet face every other time I come out to play to get a more even play pattern on the strings.

lol. i dont think steve is weird. i do the say thing he does. for some reason, my fingers always fall on the creases of my grip so i always use the same side for my forehands. even when i twirl it. when i stop i usually, lets say 90% of the time, end up on the same side i always use fro my forehands. idk why but it sorta bothers me too. especially since i use my forehand a lot more than my back. who knows, maybe im just a little crazy.:confused::confused::confused:

I'm with you guys. My racquets have a up side and a down side. For me, it depends on which grip groove my trigger finger feels best in. I break strings slightly North of center and usually the 2nd (or 2nd and 3rd) main over from center so when the strings start to fray, i start wrapping my overgrips so the other side feels best and proceed to wear out that part of the stringbed. Additionally, I put a stringsaver in as soon as I see a fray point. I get about 20 hours out of my stringjobs this way.

SirBlend12
07-19-2008, 09:27 AM
I know this will sound like a stupid question, but I've gotten over 120 hours out of Pro Hurricane 17 on 2 racquets. I've been debating trying gut crosses. Think I can get em to last as long?

Tim W
07-20-2008, 12:54 AM
I know this will sound like a stupid question, but I've gotten over 120 hours out of Pro Hurricane 17 on 2 racquets. I've been debating trying gut crosses. Think I can get em to last as long?

the PHT would be LOOOOONNNNNGGGG dead by now. If you don't notice that they are dead, then you won't notice the difference with gut IMO.

Bud
07-20-2008, 04:07 AM

You're a bit obsessive-compulsive with your racquet, aren't you?

I don't and can't track of which side to hold up. I constantly twirl the racquet in my hand when I wait to receive serves (a la Federer).

Ditto on the OCD and twirling. Try string savers.

Bud
07-20-2008, 04:10 AM
I've read some apply varnish on gut before putting on the crosses. Me, I apply a thin coat of any clear epoxy with a used toothbrush to guard against fraying.

I found a way of saving gut with my homemade string saver. 1st time I tried it on a 14/17 string pattern, the 20+ year old victor imperial gut last me 6 months playing on dirt, wore out the original bb on the 4th month, had to replace cross with bht 16 when it broke at the top grommet after 6 months of use. Maybe if I applied oil or used a fresher gut I'm sure the gut should last like forever.

Try some Klip Armour Gut if fraying bothers you. Just string it a few pounds less as it tends to be a bit stiffer then regular gut.

SirBlend12
07-22-2008, 11:28 AM
the PHT would be LOOOOONNNNNGGGG dead by now. If you don't notice that they are dead, then you won't notice the difference with gut IMO.

Oh god no I definitely know it's dead. Feels more like a butterfly net than a racquet. But it just never broke. I was basing the question on longevity.

steve s
07-22-2008, 01:17 PM

I don't think gut crosses will break in 60 hours per racquet. You could use 15l to get many more hours.

steve s
07-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Have hit 60 hours more or less. The center up four strings look beat up but strings are playing very well. Have switch overgrips again, but still switching racquet sides ever time out.

[d]ragon
07-29-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm with you guys. My racquets have a up side and a down side. For me, it depends on which grip groove my trigger finger feels best in. I break strings slightly North of center and usually the 2nd (or 2nd and 3rd) main over from center so when the strings start to fray, i start wrapping my overgrips so the other side feels best and proceed to wear out that part of the stringbed. Additionally, I put a stringsaver in as soon as I see a fray point. I get about 20 hours out of my stringjobs this way.

same with me. it feels so weird to me when i hold the racquet the other way. i found the best way to deal with this is use a replacement grip with no overgrip because they typically dont produce those creases. but i cant find a replacement grip thats A) thin enough or B) tacky enough

hoodjem
07-30-2008, 06:04 AM
Does Bab still make that aerosol spray, "Gut-Life" or something?

It actually worked.

Rickson
07-30-2008, 06:10 AM
I don't keep track, but with the constant Federer twirling, they're bound to have even wear and tear. Another trick you might employ is to alternate racquets.

theace21
07-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Does Bab still make that aerosol spray, "Gut-Life" or something?

It actually worked.

I have not seen it, but you probably was nothing more than a light spray varnish (shellac?). At least that was the smell I remember.

Swissv2
07-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Can't fault the guy for being economical with their strings.

If the strings last you an extra 5 years, so be it!

In the meantime, why not get string savers and put them on your strings?