PDA

View Full Version : Best Multifilament?

FreshStew
07-16-2008, 01:58 PM
As the humidity rises and Tonic 16/17g begins to fray, I am thinking about switching back to X-One or trying NRG or NXT Tour. X-One feels great except on volleys.

Is there anything similar to X-One but with more touch?

I am a baseliner who doesn't break strings. I would like something that lasts at least 25 hours.

Suggestions?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED;)

Valjean
07-16-2008, 03:06 PM
There are several new multifilaments that have come out since those you mention. Some are replacements for old standbys--Tecnifibre's TGV and XR3 replacing their 515 and TrC, respectively, come to mind--while some are just a next step forward: think Wilson's K-Gut Pro as the next step after NXT Tour. Though, in your case, coming off natural gut and seeking more touch than X-One, I'd say Babolat's new Xcel Power is your teacup.

Serve_Ace
07-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Gamma livewire pro 17

wao
07-16-2008, 03:23 PM
As the humidity rises and Tonic 16/17g begins to fray, I am thinking about switching back to X-One or trying NRG or NXT Tour. X-One feels great except on volleys.

I am a baseliner who doesn't break strings. I would like something that lasts at least 25 hours.

Suggestions?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED;) NRG or 515

FreshStew
07-16-2008, 03:26 PM
There are several new multifilaments that have come out since those you mention. Some are replacements for old standbys--Tecnifibre's TGV and XR3 replacing their 515 and TrC, respectively, come to mind--while some are just a next step forward: think Wilson's K-Gut Pro as the next step after NXT Tour. Though, in your case, coming off natural gut and seeking more touch than X-One, I'd say Babolat's new Xcel Power is your teacup.

Thanks Valjean;)

Does Xcel feel as live as X-One?

FreshStew
07-16-2008, 03:28 PM
NRG or 515

What is the difference between X-One and NRG?

Does All About Tennis charge more for stringing?;)

FreshStew
07-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Gamma livewire pro 17

Hows the durability?

wao
07-16-2008, 03:39 PM
What is the difference between X-One and NRG?

Does All About Tennis charge more for stringing?;)

X one to me and I only tried it once felt mushy. Years ago NRG was my favorite string. Now I hybrid.

All About Tennis prices are standard with other shops in the area as are there string prices. I string my own sticks and have a friend that owns a tennis shop close to where I work.

FreshStew
07-16-2008, 03:49 PM
X one to me and I only tried it once felt mushy. Years ago NRG was my favorite string. Now I hybrid.

All About Tennis prices are standard with other shops in the area as are there string prices. I string my own sticks and have a friend that owns a tennis shop close to where I work.

Does NRG have similar power and comfort?

Valjean
07-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks Valjean;)

Does Xcel feel as live as X-One?
Careful, though: There is Xcel Premium--reissued in 2008 for better durability--as well. Yes, Xcel *Power*, the one I'd recommend, is more lively than X-One, which can feel rather stiff, even after its break-in period--often described as, well, "lengthy".

wao
07-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Does NRG have similar power and comfort?
I actually found it more comfortable and equal power. I now use a multi in my cross from Pro Supex called Maximum Touch, very close to NRG 1/2 - 1/3 the price. Are you in the scottsdale area?

FreshStew
07-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Yes, Xcel *Power*, the one I'd recommend, is more lively than X-One, which can feel rather stiff, even after its break-in period--often described as, well, "lengthy".

X-One felt stiff and dead after 2 weeks but its the liveliest string I've ever hit with.

Serve_Ace
07-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Hows the durability?

how often do you play a week? I think gamma pro is the closest multi to gut, it hits like a dream

FreshStew
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM
I actually found it more comfortable and equal power. I now use a multi in my cross from Pro Supex called Maximum Touch, very close to NRG 1/2 - 1/3 the price. Are you in the scottsdale area?

Nah westside all the way out in goodyear. All About Tennis is the closest shop.:(

FreshStew
07-16-2008, 04:01 PM
how often do you play a week? I think gamma pro is the closest multi to gut, it hits like a dream

Yeah but I play 15hrs/week

Serve_Ace
07-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah but I play 15hrs/week:-?

haha the strings should last you, I'd say if you can afford the gut at least give livewire pro a try, it only costs 20 dollars. Btw are you an aggressive player?
when I used it during the fall season, when I was only playing once a week I broke it in about 2 weeks

FreshStew
07-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Btw are you an aggressive player?
I try to be:oops:

LubbockAg
07-16-2008, 05:11 PM
X-1 is hard to beat.

FreshStew
07-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Why is X-One better than NRG?

John C
07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
I've used several guts, NXT, X-1, Gamma Pro and NRG. All are good, VS team the best but I like NRG and use 18g. Little more pop and feel than others except VS. What racket are you using and what do you string it at?

c_hari_c
07-17-2008, 08:24 AM

Suggestions?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED;)

Have you tried the Yonex Tour Super 850 strings? Its $9 and not a bad multi at all for its price.

FreshStew
07-17-2008, 08:40 AM
I've used several guts, NXT, X-1, Gamma Pro and NRG. All are good, VS team the best but I like NRG and use 18g. Little more pop and feel than others except VS. What racket are you using and what do you string it at?

Big Ups John C ;)

I use the K95 16x18 strung at 58 or 59.

Does NRG maintain tension longer than X-One?

FreshStew
07-17-2008, 01:23 PM
anyone?????

FreshStew
07-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Out of NRG 16g and NRG 17g, which plays the longest?

origmarm
07-17-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm probably not going to be a huge amount of help to you as a longtime gut player but I will say that the only two multis I've hit with that I liked (out of about 10 or so) were NRG and X-One. NRG for me played like X-One with a bit more touch and a tad more power. I didn't like NXT at all, the tour was better though. Yonex 850 felt a bit mushy to me but wasn't bad, middling multi.

I'm going to get a set of XCel Power to try though now per Valjean, from what I have read I would trust his recommendations.

FreshStew
07-18-2008, 06:38 AM
I'm probably not going to be a huge amount of help to you as a longtime gut player but I will say that the only two multis I've hit with that I liked (out of about 10 or so) were NRG and X-One. NRG for me played like X-One with a bit more touch and a tad more power. I didn't like NXT at all, the tour was better though. Yonex 850 felt a bit mushy to me but wasn't bad, middling multi.

I'm going to get a set of XCel Power to try though now per Valjean, from what I have read I would trust his recommendations.

Thanks origmarm;)

Do you play 16 or 17g?

Would you recommend NRG over the other?

origmarm
07-18-2008, 06:59 AM
Thanks origmarm;)

Do you play 16 or 17g?

Would you recommend NRG over the other?

17g in all cases. I'm not a massive breaker so I get decent time out of pretty much anything. Poly is not a big thing of mine as a result, I tried some cyberflash hybrids a while back and it just felt stiff, good grip on the ball though.

I like the NRG better personally but it's down to what you like out of the string. I liked the feel better, its a bit softer and has more touch, that and the power transfer off the stringbed was more akin to gut for me. The difference is not massive though to be fair. X-One went dead for me before NRG but again it was marginal. If you like X-One I would say get a set of NRG and just try it, chances are you'll like both but have a marginal preference for one.

Incidentally you should read the reviews on stringforum.net about these for more colour if you haven't already. Some are rubbish but some are informative.

FreshStew
07-18-2008, 07:12 AM
17g in all cases. I'm not a massive breaker so I get decent time out of pretty much anything. Poly is not a big thing of mine as a result, I tried some cyberflash hybrids a while back and it just felt stiff, good grip on the ball though.

I like the NRG better personally but it's down to what you like out of the string. I liked the feel better, its a bit softer and has more touch, that and the power transfer off the stringbed was more akin to gut for me. The difference is not massive though to be fair. X-One went dead for me before NRG but again it was marginal. If you like X-One I would say get a set of NRG and just try it, chances are you'll like both but have a marginal preference for one.

Incidentally you should read the reviews on stringforum.net about these for more colour if you haven't already. Some are rubbish but some are informative.

Big ups orgimarm;)

I'm gonna try NRG. I just don't know whether to go with 16 or 17g.:-?

Does 16 go dead before 17?

harryz
07-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Great string. Equal to NXT or X-1 and 1/2 the price. Also love Klip Excellerator, as do my friends who use it.