PDA

View Full Version : Ayn Pro's with 1 handed backhand using extended length stick?

monologuist
01-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Many seem to think you should use a standard length racquet if you have a 1 handed backhand (actually most poeple probably think you should use standrad length no metter what), but I have been experimenting using lighter racquets that are 27.5" with my 1 hander (Wilson Surge X and Yonex MP Tour-5). I'm wondering if there are any pros out there who are using extended length racquets who have a 1 hander as well.

spinbalz
01-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Players that I know they use extended racquets : Gaudio, Rochus

Perhaps Ljubicic and Arthurs use Pure Drives +, but I'm not sure

Perhaps Mirnyi uses an extended Wilson 6.1 but I'm not sure.

monologuist
01-25-2005, 03:40 PM
those pros all have one-handed backhands as well?

spinbalz
01-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Yes of course, they are all one handers, I didn't forget the subject of your thread.

Gaudio won the last French open, and I was far to imagine that you could ignore that he is a 1 hander !!!

Kirko
01-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Albert Costa also.

spinbalz
01-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Doesn't Albert Costa use a Fischer Pro 1, which is a std length racquet? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But it is true that he used a Prince Graphit 730 longbody in the past.

ibemadskillzz
01-25-2005, 04:06 PM
alex correja, pd+

Kirko
01-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Costa's racket is cutomized and all of that.

hummer23
01-25-2005, 06:30 PM
still, a pro one is 27 inches long, and it hasnt got that special handle like the becker estusas that get longer and shorter with a little elbow grease. unless its a completely different handle/pallet, it would still remain standard leanth. this thread brings up an interesting idea, that most one handers use more solid standard leanth frames. also, its hard enough to swing across your body with a 12 oz standard leanth stick, but its tougher to hit a controled one hander with a longer stick, because it adds all of that swingweight

thomas martinez
01-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Uh, Gaudio uses and has used a standard frame for some time. You can also count in Gonzalez, Lopez, Blanco, Henin-Hardenne, Robredo, Saulnier, ALberto Martin, David Sanchez, Vincente, Farina, and that is all I can really think of and remember at the moment. As for Costa, he's playing the Pro #1 FT with a custom length to it. As for moving a logner frame about with a one hand backhand, I've never had an issue with it. Nor have obviously quite a number of players on the pro level.

Swan Song
01-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Also, do not forget Olivier Rochus, Paradorn Srichiphan, and Kevin Kim. Maybe Thomas might know this, but how about Albert Montanes from Spain?

monologuist
01-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Srichiphan uses a Yonex Ti-80 no? thats standard length.

spinbalz
01-26-2005, 03:00 AM
Thomas Martinez, I don't know what Gaudio uses now, or what he used on hard courts like at the US Open, but I handled his racquet at the French Open, not last year but in 2003 or 2002 (I was the guy who had to bring the racquets from the stringer to the ball kids at the entry of the court for the players who needed some express stringjobs during their matches, but I'm not sure of the year, sorry) and it was an XL one, with a 18X20 string pattern.

Astennix
01-26-2005, 04:06 AM
Spinbalz..how do you know it was a long frame? The EURO HPS 6.1 is standard lenght and has a 18x20 pattern (different from US one)...

thomas martinez
01-26-2005, 04:59 AM
I'd recheck that. Gaston has long used a standard length frame. In the e-mail I sent you, I neglected to mention I did get to do his frames back in 2001, when it seemed that tournament, every Wilson 18 x 20 I strung was with Kirschbaum, and he was using a standard length frame. Was the only one there pretty much not sporting Hyper 5.0 or 6.5 cosmetics.

spinbalz
01-26-2005, 06:21 AM
Astennix I know that the Euro HPS 6.1 is a std length with 18X20, don't forget that I live in Europe, the fact that the racquet I brought to Gaudio had a 18X20 string pattern is not the reason why I said it was an extended frame. With wilson racquets it is really easy to recognise if the racquet is extended or not for someone who has a small habit like me, the difference is mainly around the bottom of the throat, and if Thomas Martinez says that Gaudio has been a long time user std length racquets, I trust him at 100%, simply he may switch sometimes,depending on the events he plays.

Astennix
01-26-2005, 06:58 AM
Thanks Spinbalz, it may be possible he is changing frames depending on the tournament. I will ask about this -it may take a while- and let you know. Thanks again.

jura
02-25-2005, 06:05 AM
Thanks Spinbalz, it may be possible he is changing frames depending on the tournament. I will ask about this -it may take a while- and let you know. Thanks again.
I have sure informations, that Gaudio used standard length during Monte Carlo 2003, so I can't imagine that he changed.
One handers with extended racquets: Costa, Corretja, probably Mantilla, Dupuis, Zabaleta, Rochus, Blanco, Arthurs...

Federer0580
02-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Fed uses a one-handed BH with an extended P.S. 6.0 with a Ncode Pj, but im not to sure if its 1/2 inch extended or maybe a little more. I own three Ncode n6-1 tours and i would say judging mine from his racket, his is about 1/2 or maybe 3/4 extended just look at some pictures...... Dont worry I have plenty of em to judge from......

hummer23
02-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Fed uses a one-handed BH with an extended P.S. 6.0 with a Ncode Pj, but im not to sure if its 1/2 inch extended or maybe a little more. I own three Ncode n6-1 tours and i would say judging mine from his racket, his is about 1/2 or maybe 3/4 extended just look at some pictures...... Dont worry I have plenty of em to judge from......

im not so sure about that. if you are saying its longer becasue the throat area is longer above the grip, then you should know that he shaves his pallet to make is shorted, thus exposing more metal above the grip. i beleive that the posters on this forrum have established that it is a standard leanth stick. can someone confirm that?