PDA

View Full Version : NEWSFLASH!! Luxilon is not poly!!

AJK1
07-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Please, can everyone stop calling Luxilon string poly. It's not. They do make a poly string in their range but it is rarely if ever used.
Please no more !!

Zhou
07-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Technically it is a poly because poly does not mean polyester, poly means many. Luxilon is a poly-ether...

YULitle
07-16-2008, 07:53 PM
They call it a poly-ether. I think calling it a poly is appropriate. Especially since poly-ethers, I hear, don't exist.

AJK1
07-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Luxilon on their website say it is not a poly, so i'll go with them, they should know!

Zhou
07-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Seriously. They are using the term poly as in polyester strings. Luxilon is still a poly in the most literal sense.

nickb
07-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Who cares?

It plays like a poly, looks like a poly and really IS a poly whatever luxilon say.

Return_Ace
07-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Please, can everyone stop calling Luxilon string poly. It's not. They do make a poly string in their range but it is rarely if ever used.
Please no more !!

Lol, if you want to be that pedantic then start referring to the names of the strings rather than broadly classifying them as "Luxilon" :p :lol:

Applesauceman
07-17-2008, 12:49 PM
If it's not a poly, then how should it be classified then? Think of something other than Luxilon to call it, because Luxilon is a brand name.

If it walk like a duck, and talks like a duck, it must be a...

diredesire
07-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Luxilon on their website say it is not a poly, so i'll go with them, they should know!
It's semantics, and it really doesn't matter at the end of the day, as long as everyone knows what we're talking about. I think that there is pretty minimal confusion around here.

A "poly" can be used as an abbreviation to "polyester," but that is making a very specific example. In this industry, it would make most sense to use "poly" to abbreviate "polymer"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer

It is true that the luxilon line of strings are not strict polyesters, but can we deny that they are polymer materials? No.

Seriously. They are using the term poly as in polyester strings. Luxilon is still a poly in the most literal sense.
"literal," but yes, I agree.

Who cares?

It plays like a poly, looks like a poly and really IS a poly whatever luxilon say.
This is a circular argument, IMO. It's all about what we accept as the definition of "poly." It sounds to me like you're using the word to create a definition.

Regardless, the argument here is only half debatable, as yes, luxilon strings are not polyester (straight) strings, but they can easily (and correctly) be classified as a polymer material, and are commonly referred to as "copoly" (or: co-polymer) strings, which IS correct.

LafayetteHitter
07-17-2008, 12:53 PM
This makes about as much sense as arguing about "synthetic gut" since its technically not "gut".

Return_Ace
07-17-2008, 01:57 PM
This makes about as much sense as arguing about "synthetic gut" since its technically not "gut".

Not quite right..

Since it's labelled as "synthetic" as in it's an man-made recreation that's designed to be close to gut.

;)

dacrymn
07-17-2008, 06:08 PM

a duck!!!

looks like i win this time

RestockingTues
07-17-2008, 06:46 PM

A HyperHorse?

Zhou
07-17-2008, 07:54 PM
a duck!!!

looks like i win this time

A HyperHorse?

you are both wrong. It is a goose duh!