PDA

View Full Version : How can you string a racquet so fast?

lidation
07-16-2008, 10:31 PM
I started stringing my racquets a few days ago with my Gamma X-2 stringer. My first racquet cost me 3 hrs. My 2nd racquet 1 hour 40 mniutes. But just now I did a 3rd racquet, which took me 1 hour 45 minutes. I saw that most of you guys can do the stringer within 40 minutes. But I really don't know which steps I can do any faster.

It took me about 1 hour to do the mounting and the mains and 40 minutes to do the cross.

Any hints on how to string a racquet within 40 minutes?

YULitle
07-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Practice Practice Practice

Freedom
07-16-2008, 10:35 PM
It takes a lot of practice to cut time. I've strung maybe 6 or 7 racquets, and my best was just over an hour.

dancraig
07-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Any hints on how to string a racquet within 40 minutes?

String a few dozen racquets.

wyutani
07-16-2008, 10:39 PM
tons of training and practice, 1% talent.

loner1984
07-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Find a way to numb your fingers (especially if stringing with Polyster).

Hot Sauce
07-17-2008, 12:10 AM

You forgot the main thing: Practice!

jamauss
07-17-2008, 12:13 AM
PSGD is a good string to practice with, if you have some extra you can use.

Vermillion
07-17-2008, 12:18 AM
what's a good time for a drop weight?

I think my fastest was around 35 mins

Hot Sauce
07-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Some guys at a local tennis shop do it in around 15 minutes. It's very convenient because I can wait around and pick it up right away.

JanusB
07-17-2008, 02:27 AM
I string my racquets in 20 min.

xtremerunnerars
07-17-2008, 04:09 AM
I'd say get down to 40 minutes-1 hour and then stop trying to go faster if you've got a dropweight.

Any faster and you're probably just going to make more mistakes and do a bad job. If you want to go faster on your own racquets that's fine because they're yours, but don't rush on customer racquets.

As for other types of machines, the biggest speed advantages are stringing one ahead on the crosses and always having the end of the string accessible and off of the floor.

JanusB
07-17-2008, 04:14 AM
Tip: When doing mains keep the tip of the long end in your mouth so you have fast acces to it without having to wind the whole thing up. Same thing goes for when you get to the crosses, it's a waste of time to have it at the floor when you can have it between your teeth.

diredesire
07-17-2008, 01:48 PM

I'd also like to add: Pay attention. There are plenty of places you can LEARN to speed up, cut off the wasted time and the wasted movements. You should worry about understanding the process first, before you worry about cutting down on time. Take your time now, and really get what you're doing, you'll make many, many less brainless errors later.

Pay attention to what you're doing, ask yourself what and why you're doing what you're doing, and then you can drop the minutes off as you grow to understand the process.

I'd say get down to 40 minutes-1 hour and then stop trying to go faster if you've got a dropweight.

Any faster and you're probably just going to make more mistakes and do a bad job. If you want to go faster on your own racquets that's fine because they're yours, but don't rush on customer racquets.

As for other types of machines, the biggest speed advantages are stringing one ahead on the crosses and always having the end of the string accessible and off of the floor.
I don't think there's any merit to "taking your time," as long as you are stringing at a consistent and comfortable pace, no offense. If you are stringing fast enough to INCREASE the error rate then I am really doubting you're in the 40-1 hr range unless there is something inhibiting you from working.

IMHO, 25-30 minute jobs on a dropweight are easily possible and they would (could) still be quality. I think stringing speed IS important, but should NEVER take precedence over quality and most of all: consistency. Speed is a fact of life, IMHO. No one wants to spend 20 minutes more than they have to (especially if you've got a stack of 10 frames sitting next to you waiting to be strung).

Long story short: There's no reason to NOT want to go faster, but don't let it consume you and creep its way up your list of priorities. There's also a limit to how fast you can get, but IMO telling someone to "take their time" (i.e. go at less of a pace than they are easily capable of) is bad advice. IMO that would only increase the variables.

(Note: I have strung relatively high volume in the past, so my views are probably a bit skewed compared to a typical home stringer.)

smarion2
07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
yeah absolutely. Don't force trying to get faster. It'll just come. If you don't know exactly what your doing and go really fast your going to miss mains or crosses or put something where your not supposed to. Theres nothing more annoying then doing a full string job then having to start over cuz you weren't paying attention or going too fast.

iplaybetter
07-17-2008, 04:40 PM
after about 150/200 or so you will get to 30 mins in your sleep, trust me i was practiicaly stringing in my sleep today (the rock-star helped)

YULitle
07-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Speed comes with time. The time that is wasted when you first start off is that you suck at weaving and that you have to think "now what" at every turn. Slowly you stop having to think "now what" so much, and after that your weaving gets better.

The "now what" factor is initially a bigger problem than the weaving, in my experience in teaching people to string.

Just make sure you are doing things right and keep at it. Speed comes with time. You WILL get faster.

Vermillion
07-17-2008, 04:52 PM
my main prob is the "set up" phase. that takes too much time with each set and reels.

2nd_Serve
07-17-2008, 07:22 PM
I don't get what about it takes so long. I mean, I did my first racket in 4 hours. It's just putting strings on top of each other, but it's some hard work...

Techniques
07-18-2008, 04:12 AM
I've got it down to 45 minutes now... had my stringer for about 9 months now. I don't string overly often but I'm finding I am getting better and better. So far I'm just looking to not making any mistakes. Soon I'll probably try to cut time out as I'm wasting far too much time with the string on the floor. ALso my weaving the crosses isn't great. Main's I can dot hem pretty quick, I reckon I can do them in like 10-15 minutes.

DLtoken
07-18-2008, 06:41 AM
I've strung ten rackets or so, and once you start having a little faith in yourself the stringing time just gets shorter and shorter. The last one was a two piece that I did in 37 minutes on a crank machine.

xtremerunnerars
07-18-2008, 08:06 AM
I agree with ya DD. I just didn't want to send a bad message to a brand new stringer (not that I'm a pro by any stretch!)

I can do the mains in 10 minutes, but my crosses always take at least half an hour.

diredesire
07-18-2008, 09:09 AM
I agree with ya DD. I just didn't want to send a bad message to a brand new stringer (not that I'm a pro by any stretch!)

I can do the mains in 10 minutes, but my crosses always take at least half an hour.

Very true, I think it is a good idea for ANY stringer not to rush, but I always get a little confused/scratch my head when people recommend to "take it slow."

I think taking it "slow" is fine and dandy, but as long as you understand the process, I feel it is generally a hit on consistency to have wasted time in the stringing process.

tbini87
07-18-2008, 10:36 AM
try to do everything perfectly when you start. time does not matter. once you start getting racquets under your belt you will notice where you can save time, and how to do things most efficiently. once you form good habits you can work on speed. but honestly, speed will come with time. i think my first job took 2 hours, and a few hundred sticks later it is around 35 minutes on a drop weight.

i don't think anyone recommended stringing "one ahead" yet, but that will really make stringing easier for you. also move the strings up and down no the string bed as you pull so you don't burn the strings. i am sure you can find some helpful videos around that will really help you out. good luck!