PDA

View Full Version : Hybriding Vs Gut with ALU, tension ???

bossass
07-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Same setup as Fed. I'm not trying doing it just cause he does, I bought a PC600 used once with this setup already in it and really enjoyed it. I'm not a string breaker, so I think it should last long enough to justify the cost.

I'm going to put it in my PT280. Gut in the Mains, Alu in the crosses. I'm going for an overall tension of about 57lbs. So based on my searching around here, I thought 57 for the gut in the mains, and 55 for the ALU in the crosses.

Sound right?

Wiseburro
07-17-2008, 10:56 AM
That sounds about right. I'm curious as to why so many people are going with the gut in the mains instead of the crosses, comfort? You're gonna get more of the benefit from the poly in the mains.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
07-17-2008, 11:16 AM
That sounds about right. I'm curious as to why so many people are going with the gut in the mains instead of the crosses, comfort? You're gonna get more of the benefit from the poly in the mains.

well when the poly goes dead it kinda sucks to cut out the gut, gut mains has lots of pop and lasts me pretty long and the alu stiffs the bed up nicely.
i go 60 on the mains vs is very high elasticity compared to other guts and i go 57 on the alu

Wiseburro
07-17-2008, 11:32 AM
That makes sense.

TNT16
07-17-2008, 11:42 AM
well when the poly goes dead it kinda sucks to cut out the gut, gut mains has lots of pop and lasts me pretty long and the alu stiffs the bed up nicely.
i go 60 on the mains vs is very high elasticity compared to other guts and i go 57 on the alu

I absolutely love this set-up. I picked up a used racquet (Dunlop AG 500 Tour) off a TW member and it came strung 60 VS main + 57 ALU cross. It felt just perfect - and I mean perfect . . . but that is over 2 months after it had been strung.

When the (main) strings finally popped I had it strung the same way and it felt like a concrete wall. Even after a week. And after two weeks. I went back to the shop and they told me that "of course" they had pre-stretched the gut . . . obviously no give or elasticity left - thanks a lot.

So word of caution here. 60/57 sounds perfect IF they don't pre-stretch the gut.

I usually like lower string tensions. Had another stick strung with the same set-up but at 54/51 (after the concrete wall experience). Turned out to be too soft . . . difficult to control with lots of groundies going long.

So I am about to try 57/54 on one and 60/57 on the other to see which way it will feel the best.

Great set-up though - no doubt!

rorschack
07-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Same setup as Fed. I'm not trying doing it just cause he does, I bought a PC600 used once with this setup already in it and really enjoyed it. I'm not a string breaker, so I think it should last long enough to justify the cost.

I'm going to put it in my PT280. Gut in the Mains, Alu in the crosses. I'm going for an overall tension of about 57lbs. So based on my searching around here, I thought 57 for the gut in the mains, and 55 for the ALU in the crosses.

Sound right?

yo bossass, I play with the PT280 with gut main (pacific tough gut 17g or VS 16g) / poly cross (cyberflash 1.22) and my tension is 52 main / 50 cross. I hit with lots of topspin and this seems to work well for me. I am thinking even going 50/50 to get even more power cuz I have no control issue and hardly hit the balls long. So, that's just me.

If I were to string 57/55, I would have to swing the sheesh out of the ball just get it pass the service line or hit very very flat.

IMO, with the PT280, staying at the lower tension range (i.e. ~52) is much better since these sticks don't have any power at all. I am speaking from experience as I'd tried A LOT of different setup.

BTW, this setup will last you forever!!!!!!

Also, try Alu and Cyberflash in the cross and see if you can tell the difference. Don't waste your dough on the Alu...

bossass
07-18-2008, 12:06 AM
^ror, thanks for the insight. Already dropped it off, so I guess I might end up with a board. We'll see.