PDA

View Full Version : Improving For Next Time

bumfluff
07-17-2008, 02:03 PM
I have just strung my first racket on my Gamma Progression ST. It took me a long time but once I got started on the mains I was fine. However my big problem came on the crosses, I cannot weave. My hands were so slippy on the strings so it took me an absolute age. I really want to be able to push weave but at the moment it seems impossible.

My second problem was that the shoulder supports got in the way of a few of my crosses, I guess I should have checked this before but I take it I will need to re-adjust the whole supporting arm to fix that.

How exactly are you meant to release the string once you have pulled tension? The only way I could find was to pull back the brake on the tensioner so that it releases.

I don't know if I'm losing too much tension when I'm tying my knots, how tight should the string on the outerside be that is leading to the knot?

I found that I managed to mis a weave, kind of in the middle of the racket which is really annoying cos I thought I checked it. It should still be fine to play with shouldn't it?

I definitely need to practice so if anyone can give me some pointers as to what to do next time to help me improve then that would be great.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
07-17-2008, 02:17 PM
practice makes perfect weaving gets easier tho

bumfluff
07-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah I knwo I need to practice, the only problem is weaving seems hard as in impossible because the string just slips from my fingers.

Mansewerz
07-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Weaves were hard as hell before, but have gotten way easier now.

smarion2
07-17-2008, 04:24 PM
yep just practice practice practice. U'll be surprised how fast you get good at it. After my first 5 racqucts it seemd like i doubled my speed

DLtoken
07-17-2008, 04:59 PM
What kind of string are you using? The Eagnas Pro Spin that comes with the machine is the slipperiest string I have ever used!

Also, just check the last weave in each cross. If you are opposite the weave next to it, you can almost guarantee the weave is correct... Unless you are really sloppy and misweaved twice. haha.

Just remember to have fun and relax and you will be a master stringer in no time at all.

baek57
07-17-2008, 11:30 PM
weave 1 ahead. if you miss a weave your soft weave will turn into a hard weave and you'll know you messed up.

bumfluff
07-18-2008, 12:41 AM
I was using Pro Supex Maxim Touch crosses and Blue Gear mains. Plus I'm using a gamma machine so I got gamma strings with the machine.

bumfluff
07-18-2008, 02:13 PM
I have just finished my second racket this time a pure drive which I did with Gamma TNT^2. I did this one in under 2 hours and I would have been quicker had it not taken me ages to start the mains because I did it as a one piece so had a lot of string and I made a couple of clamping errors very early on which was annoying.

Can anyone give me advice on handling string, its hard enough doing a hybrid with 20ft pieces let alone 40ft for a one piece? I seem to get my string all coiled up while I'm using it and it can wrap itself around the tension head etc.

Also I did a lot better weaving today and I probably spent less time on the crosses than I did the mains. However I can only weave about half way across before I get stuck, how do I overcome this problem/what is the cause?

I ended up using my awl to help me keep some tension when tying my knots is this good practice and can it damage my awl?

Thanks

Edit: Is it normal for the crosses to have a slight curvature all the way down when you string them or is there something wrong with my technique?

I have also just done my first stencil, I put the playboy bunny on my pure drive.