PDA

View Full Version : replacing my Wilson solution grip with a Wilson leather grip

Matt H.
03-27-2004, 03:20 PM
just curious, but does anyone know how much more the Wilson leather grip weighs in comparison to the wilson solution grip that comes on prostaff 5.0's???

I've heard good things about using a leather grip, so i'm gonna try it out. My racquets are all matched, and love how they play.....so i'm assuming i'll have to add some lead tape to the head to even out the balance after putting a leather on.

JRW
03-27-2004, 04:25 PM
I recently put a fairway leather grip on one of my HPS 5.0's which added about 10-12 grams. I also liked the original balance and put lead tape at the head to bring it closer to the original balance point. When all was said and done the racquet ended up weighing close to 13.5oz. which was a little too heavy for me, so I took everything off and went back to the original set-up.

Matt H.
03-27-2004, 08:33 PM
10-12 grams!?

wow, i asked the guy there stringing a racquet about the weight, and he said maybe 2/10's of an ounce at most. 12 grams is double that. :shock:

JRW
03-27-2004, 10:05 PM
OK. Just removed the Solution grip from my 5.0 and weighed it along with the Fairway I previously used.

Solution grip: 14.0 grams

Fairway grip: 24.1 grams

Now I'm not sure if the Wilson leather grip you plan on using is lighter or heavier than the Fairway, but I would assume that they would be pretty close in weight.

Jerry Seinfeld
03-28-2004, 09:12 AM
Word of advice...think twice before using the Wilson leather grip. They get slick very fast. Not the same quality as babolat and volkl replacement grips that are available at TW.

Ash Doyle
03-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Try the wilson leather grips. I much prefer them over the babolats (never tried the Volkl). They feel great to me. I use them on all my racquets. I even replaced a babolat leather grip on one racquet with a wilson leather. I don't know the exact measurements, but I can say that the wilson leather grip is heavier than the Babolat. ...and unlike Jerry Seinfeld, I've never had a problem with them getting slick. Maybe this is just a new routine for Jerry, "What's up with Wilson leather grips?"

Anonymous
03-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Agree with Wilson grips. Haven't tried many but there has to be something better.

Matt H.
03-31-2004, 03:20 PM
thanks for the info JRW!!

I put the wilson leather on 1 of my racquets. Still haven't hit with it yet, but the way it feels in my hands isn't too much different as far as weight/balance is.

I'm not terribly concerned with the quality, because i'm using an overgrip (wilson pro). I was just looking for something less spongy and more stable.