PDA

View Full Version : Natural gut contradiction?

2nd_Serve
07-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Well...It's known that natural gut is the most powerful string out there, but I don't get how the most powerful string gives you so much feel.

ANyone want to elaborate?

YULitle
07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
There's no contradiction. It's what makes natural gut so awesome.

That, and feel isn't something you can narrow down to one or two attributes. It means too many different things.

2nd_Serve
07-17-2008, 07:30 PM
I meant like, how it's so like....touchy at the net...

I thought it was really weird how strings so powerful could let you tap things over with so much touch that the opponent can't even dream of hitting.

And yeah, it's the best.

rasajadad
07-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Gut has magical powers.

Il Mostro
07-18-2008, 09:10 AM
The Tao of gut -- it has both yin and yang.

diredesire
07-18-2008, 09:47 AM
I think you mean power and touch, not necessarily power and feel (the source of your confusion).

The touch comes from natural gut's excellent resiliency. When striking a volley, and trying to come up with touch, the string bed quickly deforms, and "snaps" back, theoretically returning energy to the ball (which I'm not entirely convinced of). The deformation around the ball gives a "pocketing" effect, which IMO adds to the "touch" aspect, even though the string itself is naturally powerful.

superstition
07-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Gut is a very complex molecular organic material, not a simple synthetic. Synthetics are not as complex as animal products which is why spider's silk is stronger than most synthetic materials despite its light weight. Real grass is better than synthetic grass and concrete. And wood is better than graphite composite when it comes to shock/vibration absorption.

It is usually difficult to synthesize materials that rival complex organic materials.

Noisy Ninja
07-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Natural gut's great ball pocketing ability translates into great feel.