PDA

View Full Version : Is buying a whole reel worth it?

Swengo86
07-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Any insight on how often you need to be restringing in order to justify buying a reel of string rather than a set or two?

feyya
07-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Its not how often, its just making sure your the one stringing.

Swengo86
07-18-2008, 11:09 AM
what do you mean by that? As in am I the one stringing myself?

crazytennis
07-18-2008, 11:14 AM
If you use the same string and don't plan on changing to something else, it is definitely justified. If you don't string for yourself, it may not be a wise decision sometimes. Some places charge like 15 bucks to string with a 2$ string and 18$ to string with a 15$ string.

wao
07-18-2008, 11:17 AM
In a 660ft reel you can get around 17 string jobs out of it. I restring mine at least every three weeks as by then the poly is dead. So for me it is worth it.

Swengo86
07-18-2008, 11:22 AM
I realize the in the long run if you have your own stringer, or access to one(which is what I do), then it is the cheaper option to buy a reel. Plus, then I'm not always paying shipping and handling for however many times I need to order more string.

IceNineTX
07-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Any insight on how often you need to be restringing in order to justify buying a reel of string rather than a set or two?

You just have to do the math. How often do you string? How much do you save in a reel? Do you have spare cash to "invest" in a reel?

This may be too much rambling, but here goes...

For example, with Topspin Cyberflash for $7.50 a pack or a reel of 720' for $67.90, I'd do the following calculation...

Say, you string 1 stick a week. One reel will last you approximately 18 weeks (720/40). 18 sets is $135. So the reel saves you about $67 over 18 weeks. This is a 50% savings more or less. A great deal.

The only reason I can think of that it's NOT a good idea to buy a reel is if you think you can do something better with your original $135 over the time period (keeping in mind you are taking $7.50 out of the pool each week). If you need the money to eat, pay rent, emergencies, then don't buy a reel. If you can spare the money, it's a great investment when you can save 50% or so over that period of time. It's better than sitting in a 3% savings account for that period.

Now, on the other extreme, if you string once a year, it's not worth it to me. Saving 50% on something by paying 18 years in advance is not a good deal. :-)

One other comment maybe against buying a reel. If you have a reel, you will feel the urge to string more often, even more than you may need. I mean, all that nice fresh string is sitting there asking to be on a racquet! So, I guess it depends on your willpower too.

So, you have to figure out where you stand and what your situation is.

rasajadad
07-18-2008, 11:40 AM
On a 660' reel I can usually get between 1/2 to a full job out of every reel because I keep my own records of exactly how much string I use for each frame. If your stringing PSGD at 3.75 a set, you're only saving pennies. But if your doing Lux, you're saving $10. This is in addition to the minor discount you get per fooot by buying the reel.

baek57
07-18-2008, 12:03 PM
one thing to consider is how much string you use to string your racquet. sets usually come in 40', but if you only use 35' you waste 5' worth. that same 5' could be saved for another string job if using a reel.

SFrazeur
07-18-2008, 12:19 PM
IceNineTX, thanks. I am considering a reel of CyberFlash and that saves me from having to do and mess up the math.

-SF

IceNineTX
07-18-2008, 12:27 PM
IceNineTX, thanks. I am considering a reel of CyberFlash and that saves me from having to do and mess up the math.

-SF

You might at least double check it. I did it rather quickly. I think I remember it being 67.90 a reel for 720'. I bought a reel of 17 and 17L recently.

I actually bought too much, so I may be trading or something soon. I have a reel of CyberPower 17L as well. I just went a little nuts one day, I guess.

Gmedlo
07-18-2008, 12:32 PM
make sure you do calculations on the reels you're considering, as some reels are actually more expensive than sets per foot. I know PSGD is almost the exact same price when you compare the price by the foot in sets vs. reels.

zacinnc78
07-19-2008, 12:02 PM
so shipping is where u really save....usually ...

Mansewerz
07-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Careful with teh Cyberflash, I heard topspin cheats you of a little string per reel.