PDA

View Full Version : at what point are you responsible?

Mr. Blond
07-18-2008, 02:24 PM
I string out of my house. Today I received a racquet and did not realize it had a crack in it when I got it from the customer. As I was removing the old strings I notice a crack in the frame at the PWS. I know if it breaks while stringing it I owe the guy a frame, but in this case I caught it early. Should I offer to compensate him?

If so, how? The racquet is no longer made, so how do I value the compensation?

thanks guys in advance for your advice.

tennisfreak15347
07-18-2008, 02:39 PM
So you caught it early and did not string it, correct? I would give him his money back if he paid you already, and simply suggest him another racquet.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
07-18-2008, 02:42 PM
yup just refund him labor fees but as do what you do to save your own *** always check for fractures and crack because people love to blame us...

Mr. Blond
07-18-2008, 04:08 PM
no I didn't even mount it in the stringer once I noticed the crack. I never even considered that he might be trying to pull a quick one and get a free racquet outta me.

Man I am glad I checked it.

kaibaNYC06
07-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Were the old strings broken? if not then just refund him and you're good to go.

superstition
07-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Always use a signed contract that says the racquet's provider is responsible for checking for cracks before dropping the racquet off for stringing and that racquet cracking during stringing is not something the string is liable for.

kelz
07-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Always use a signed contract that says the racquet's provider is responsible for checking for cracks before dropping the racquet off for stringing and that racquet cracking during stringing is not something the string is liable for.

intelligent

Mr. Blond
07-19-2008, 03:50 AM
Were the old strings broken? if not then just refund him and you're good to go.

no the strings were not busted. I was cutting them out when I noticed the cracks.

hoodjem
07-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Not at this point.

Tell him it is cracked, show him the crack if possible, and state that the racquet should not be restrung.

Avoid a debate about who cracked it, at all costs. (You could not have because all you did was cut out the old strings.)

Refund any money, and wash your hands of the whole affair.

jim e
07-19-2008, 07:23 AM
This is precisely why it is important to check over the racquet before it is strung up. Good for you that you caught that before you attempted to string it!
This is why I find it hard to believe that people string their racquets in 15 minutes or less. By the time that you check the integrety of the racquet and grommets, remove the strings, recheck the grommets, tube or replace any cracked grommets if necessary, mount the racquet on the machine , measure out the string, and then start installing the string, all this time adds up, and it is all part of the stringing process, as it is the time that you spend with that persons racquet.A good amount of time has passed before you even start to install the strings.
I found a cracked frame just recently, when the person brought it to me (showed it to him when he brought it over, while he was still here). I looked that one over carefully, as when I played with him before, he threw his racquet, and then kicked it into the fence. But checking that carefully is important on anyones racquet is an important step, as anyones could be cracked as they all get used, and some abused.He wanted me to string it anyways, but I refused. Had I not seen the crack, I would then have been responsible, then if you give away your services for a low fee, how many racquets do you need to do to then break even? This was someone that I hit with on a regular basis, and I just string those peoples for string price only, but if it broke while stringing it I would have lost out. I don't mind doing friends or people I hit with for just string price, but I do not want to loose out on replacing their racquets as well.Every step in the stringing process is important.

Return_Ace
07-19-2008, 07:35 AM
T
This is why I find it hard to believe that people string their racquets in 15 minutes or less. By the time that you check the integrety of the racquet and grommets, remove the strings, recheck the grommets, tube or replace any cracked grommets if necessary, mount the racquet on the machine , measure out the string, and then start installing the string, all this time adds up, and it is all part of the stringing process, as it is the time that you spend with that persons racquet.A good amount of time has passed before you even start to install the strings.

I think that's the main point... if i were to string my own rackets, i don't need to check for cracks because i know they aren't. Most people remove strings once they've broken the string (not when they're just about to restring it) etc.

federer envies me
07-19-2008, 11:43 AM

yeah thats really smart

kaibaNYC06
07-19-2008, 12:54 PM
no the strings were not busted. I was cutting them out when I noticed the cracks.

Oooo that's kind of a gray area for me. Because even if the frame was cracked, it was still playable as a temp until the owner could demo a few new racquets.

Bud
07-20-2008, 04:27 AM
I string out of my house. Today I received a racquet and did not realize it had a crack in it when I got it from the customer. As I was removing the old strings I notice a crack in the frame at the PWS. I know if it breaks while stringing it I owe the guy a frame, but in this case I caught it early. Should I offer to compensate him?

If so, how? The racquet is no longer made, so how do I value the compensation?

thanks guys in advance for your advice.

It's always a good idea to inspect the frame prior to cutting and pulling the old string. That way if you find a crack or suspect a flaw (that may cause complete frame failure when on the machine) you point it out and the customer can't claim you broke it... then, pulled the string back out to forfeit responsibility.

Like another poster stated too... the frame, even if cracked and strung may be playable until he/she can afford another racquet.

Bud
07-20-2008, 04:31 AM
This is precisely why it is important to check over the racquet before it is strung up. Good for you that you caught that before you attempted to string it!
I found a cracked frame just recently, when the person brought it to me (showed it to him when he brought it over, while he was still here). I looked that one over carefully, as when I played with him before, he threw his racquet, and then kicked it into the fence. But checking that carefully is important on anyones racquet is an important step, as anyones could be cracked as they all get used, and some abused.He wanted me to string it anyways, but I refused. Had I not seen the crack, I would then have been responsible, then if you give away your services for a low fee, how many racquets do you need to do to then break even? This was someone that I hit with on a regular basis, and I just string those peoples for string price only, but if it broke while stringing it I would have lost out. I don't mind doing friends or people I hit with for just string price, but I do not want to loose out on replacing their racquets as well.Every step in the stringing process is important.

You string your regular hitting partners' racquets for the string price only? That's rather generous!

Heya buddy, need a hitting partner? :lol:

Supernatural_Serve
07-20-2008, 04:45 AM
A digital camera would be a nice addition to a home stringers tool kit.

Step 1: Fill out this stringing form (string, guage, tensions)
Step 2: Fill out this optional customization form (overgrip, wrapped R/L, add weight, fix grommets, etc.)
Step 3: Sign this waiver
Step 4: Take 2 pictures
Step 5: Do Stringing activities...
Step 6: Collect the fee

smarion2
07-20-2008, 08:53 AM
you can also always offer to try to string it anyway. Just make sure they know theres a chance of it breaking. If you try just make sure its mounted really well and string it at a very low tension like around 50. Take ur time and it could hold up depending how bad the crack is.

jim e
07-20-2008, 12:48 PM
You string your regular hitting partners' racquets for the string price only? That's rather generous!

Heya buddy, need a hitting partner? :lol:

Hi Bud: Back from 1968-1974, I strung a good # of racquets. Back then I had most of the players in my area, as no one else was around at the time stringing , had a great little buisness, word of mouth that my jobs were good, + lack of competition.(I was getting $10.00/ racquet labor + string price this was over 30 years ago!, although I was getting dealer price on string back then, I can't get that now). I stopped in 1974, when I stopped playing,(my 2nd year in college, coach was dissapointed that I stopped, working nights, full time school, no time, something had to give).I started playing again just about a year ago. There is no one in this area that I would trust to string my racquet with now, so I purchased another machine(I still have my old serrano, it wont handle the larger frames). I have a great machine now, and string for convience, satisfaction of stringing my own, and knowing the job is done the way it should be. Those were reasons enough, although the xtremesportsmachine pro master is probably overkill for what I need, it does do the job very nicely. I string friends racquets for my string price only, and hitting partners do become friends. I did not get back into stringing for reasons of a buisness as it once was for me. It is now more enjoyable, not an extra job. Other people I do get labor fee per racquet (significantly higher than the 30+ years ago fee, cost of living you know) , as I know what my free time is worth. I am not rushed stringing, and I do check each racquet over carefully. I learned this years ago, when a good % of my jobs were wooden racquets some came in with cracks.I even saw some broken T-2000's back then. Some racquets take a lot of abuse.I am really surprised how quickly stringing came back to me! Wish my hitting was as good!Before I started playing again, my last racquet was a woodie, the gut strings are still in it after all these years, and even used it once, and won using it!
Bud come down my way and hit some, I would be glad to string yours up!! Jim

Navy Gator
12-16-2008, 08:46 AM
The first couple of racquets I strung, I took pix as a backup to make sure I could duplicate pattern if all else failed. After a couple of racquets, this was no longer necessary but I still take pix as a backup in case I am accused of breaking or scratching the stick. I only string once or twice a week so this isn't too hard to do. Of course, I also check the racquet while the owner is still there before I accept it.

YULitle
12-16-2008, 09:20 AM

Yes. +1,000

It would have been doubly better to have caught this before the strings were cut, however.