PDA

View Full Version : pre streched multi now my arm hurts

rocky b
07-18-2008, 02:45 PM
I play with yonex 880 soft I pre streched it to keep tension better after I played my elbow hurt do you think pre streching caused this thanks

Return_Ace
07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Well, i guess if the tension is retained for longer and now your arm hurts it just means you've strung it too high.

When i tried 880 Soft the tension dropped so fast it was bloody stupid.

If you used to play with it and you were fine it's probably because the tension dropped quickly so you didn't get the harsh effects from the high tension.

dancraig
07-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Pre-stretching can take the "softness" out of some string and make it feel stiffer and harsher. You have taken some of the stretch out. I suppose it could contribute to arm problems.

Stan
07-18-2008, 05:38 PM
880ti is a very soft string regardless of prestretch or not. What frame are you using? I suspect the frame specs are not all that good because the string is just fine.

Richie Rich
07-18-2008, 05:47 PM
you should only gently prestretch for a few seconds.

BreakPoint
07-19-2008, 12:15 AM
I still don't quite understand the concept of pre-stretching. Why not just string a little tighter than your preferred tension and let it sit for a while to allow it to settle?

Return_Ace
07-19-2008, 04:39 AM
I still don't quite understand the concept of pre-stretching. Why not just string a little tighter than your preferred tension and let it sit for a while to allow it to settle?

I thought the concept of pre-stretching was to prevent tensions loss... the string will normally stretch as it plays which results in a drop in tension.

Prestrretching means that during play the string won't stretch as much (because it's already been stretched) thus making the tension seem to last longer.

What you're suggesting seems a little hit and miss since you don't know how much tension will drop from letting it setttle, not to mention that it still allows for the string to stretch up to its limits which culd be past your preferred tension.

Valjean
07-19-2008, 04:48 AM
Pre-stretching is supposed to slow a rate of tension loss so you can play longer with the string at the reduced loss rate. There is some loss of resiliency with that, and you can forfeit some of the string's long-term play life; i.e. when it feels "dead" to you too.

BreakPoint
07-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Pre-stretching is supposed to slow a rate of tension loss so you can play longer with the string at the reduced loss rate. There is some loss of resiliency with that, and you can forfeit some of the string's long-term play life; i.e. when it feels "dead" to you too.
If that's the case then I want the opposite of pre-stretching because I want my strings to have as much resiliency and long-life as I can get.

Valjean
07-19-2008, 11:19 AM
In the spirit of the board these days, what you need is your own "We Won't Pre-Stretch Club" nen.

Oh--but I happen to agree with that.

Bud
07-20-2008, 04:20 AM
I play with yonex 880 soft I pre streched it to keep tension better after I played my elbow hurt do you think pre streching caused this thanks

Pre-stretching can make the string significantly more stiff... depending on how much you pre-stretched it. So, yes, it may have caused it.