PDA

View Full Version : I need more topspin! What should I do?

bobbyjonesrocks
07-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi,

I am currently playing with a kblade 98 with a full set of nxt 16. My coach was watching me play and he told me that I could use some more topspin. Do you guys have any ideas? (17 gauge, poly, etc.) Please throw out every idea you have.

Thanks

eric892
07-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Try Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 17G, if I'm not wrong Nadal uses the 16G.

Mansewerz
07-18-2008, 07:39 PM

Nadal uses Babolat Tour Duralast 15L.

More topspin, look at your technique first.

Kevo
07-18-2008, 07:40 PM
More swing speed,
steeper swing path at contact,
a more closed racquet face,
higher point of contact on the ball.

Mix and match the above. I wouldn't worry too much about the string at this point. Also, ask your coach to offer some suggestions since he pointed out the issue.

captinsane903
07-18-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't think this should be under strings. I think it should be under Tennis Tips/Instructions. Strings are not going to help you if you don't have the right technique for topspin.

bobbyjonesrocks
07-18-2008, 07:54 PM
I've heard from friends that poly helps them, is it true?

Tofuspeedstar
07-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Technique..

babolatisduhbomb
07-18-2008, 09:47 PM

nadal secertly uses babolat tour duralast

2nd_Serve
07-18-2008, 10:38 PM
More swing speed,

Mix and match the above. I wouldn't worry too much about the string at this point. Also, ask your coach to offer some suggestions since he pointed out the issue.

This with Blue Gear, Topspin Cyber Flash/Power, Big Ace all give good spin.

vndesu
07-18-2008, 10:50 PM
get a racket with a open string pattern.

topspinalex
07-18-2008, 11:27 PM
I agree that technique is a huge part of topspin...changing your grip could help you a bit...maximum topspin would be full western grip, but semi-western should give you plenty. i'd say technique should be ur first option (as stated above). you could also try some textured strings. Such as Luxilon Big Banger ruff in 17g.

Good Luck!

DarthCow
07-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Western grip + Blue gear = amounts of spin that will make you drool.

JanusB
07-19-2008, 02:33 AM
I can repeat what some of the other guys already said: Technique! No string in the world will give you any kind of topspin if you can't make the shot yourself.

Supernatural_Serve
07-19-2008, 02:43 AM
More swing speed,

Mix and match the above. I wouldn't worry too much about the string at this point. Also, ask your coach to offer some suggestions since he pointed out the issue.This and any racquet strung with any string will give you more spin. Especially #1, especially if you learn to use your body (legs, core, rotation of hips, etc.) more to generate more swing speed.

kelz
07-19-2008, 03:31 AM
Hi,

I am currently playing with a kblade 98 with a full set of nxt 16. My coach was watching me play and he told me that I could use some more topspin. Do you guys have any ideas? (17 gauge, poly, etc.) Please throw out every idea you have.

Thanks

my friend has the kblade ktour (93 in headsize) w/ nxt 16. it plays dead. try some spinny strings such as topspin cyberflash or blue gear. if that doesn't work, try brushing up on the ball more.

Mr. Blond
07-19-2008, 04:03 AM
if you want more spin you need 2 things.......and in this order.

Good technique
racquet head speed

all the changes in your racquet and strings won't add up to a hill of beans if you don't have those first.

This forum is plagued by posters who believe spin comes from the string pattern or string in a racquet. While those two things are contributing factors...they are not the cause. I have a friend who is an open player that uses an 18 X 20 wilson racquet with sensation strings and he generates monster spin.

Technique technique technique, head speed head speed head speed.

the spin will come if those are your priorities.

hoodjem
07-19-2008, 06:10 AM
More of a western grip.
Pro Supex Blue Gear.
Higher follow-through.
(^^^And a more open string pattern could help. But mostly change in technique: start calling yourself "Rafa.")

Barricade V
07-20-2008, 08:47 AM
blue gear. All there is to it.

SirBlend12
07-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Open pattern, up the tension, and original Pro Hurricane 17 is a spin beast. The Tour version seems to die quickly and leans more towards power than control.

bobbyjonesrocks
07-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Wow! Thanks guys for all of your input! I guess that I will have to work with my coach on my technique. Since you guys told me to focus on technique, are there any other tips to help me? I would greatly appreciate since I am in between jv and varsity on my high school team. It is hard to get onto varsity since my high school team almost won state (yeah, they are that good) :). Any help would be greatly appreciated to help me with my topspin.

Booyah
07-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Definitely agree to what everyone else has said. If you want to keep NXT then i do suggest you hybrid it. But yeah technique first.

bobbyjonesrocks
07-20-2008, 10:37 AM
What were you thinking of?

sunnyIce
07-20-2008, 06:09 PM
technique (50%) + swing speed (20%) + racquet characteristics (12%) + strings (8%) = topspin

%ages just to indicate importance.