PDA

View Full Version : Painting my tennis rackets

diadorakuerten
03-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Where do I buy paint for my rackets and what kind of paint should I use?

jayserinos99
03-27-2004, 03:56 PM
I just finished this process with my PT 280s with bulldog paint remover, a can of primer, a can of rustoleum and a can of matte finish clear coat. You can get all these supplies at your local hardware store.

@wright
03-27-2004, 08:20 PM
It seems like quite a few guys on here are looking for that Jim Courier/Flipper black nondescript racquet look. I've never thought the pro tour 280's had a bad paint job.

kreative
03-27-2004, 08:36 PM
i also didn't think the cosmetics of the pt280 were bad, i actually liked them. if i was weilding something like the wilson surge, i'd definitely paint them.

Deuce
03-27-2004, 11:52 PM
If anyone paints their racquet(s), they should paint them light grey - this is the most practical color in that it will absorb the least heat from the sun.

Painting a racquet black makes absolutely no sense to me. Everyone knows that black absorbs heat more than any other color. I don't know exactly what excessive heat will do to graphite and other materials in racquets, but I know it ain't good.

jayserinos99
03-28-2004, 02:51 AM
Don't get me wrong, I liked the 280 paint scheme. I just had the idea of painting my racquets black to try it just once.

As far as black absorbing excessive heat, there are a lot of racquets like the POG and PS 6.0 that are black and they don't have a lot of heat problems afaik. I'll be sure to keep that in mind however.

david aames
03-28-2004, 05:41 AM
If anyone paints their racquet(s), they should paint them light grey - this is the most practical color in that it will absorb the least heat from the sun.

Painting a racquet black makes absolutely no sense to me. Everyone knows that black absorbs heat more than any other color. I don't know exactly what excessive heat will do to graphite and other materials in racquets, but I know it ain't good.

You Playa hater. Are you trying to send the PS 6 to retirement?

Pro_Tour_630
03-28-2004, 08:16 AM
http://home1.nikonnet.com/servlet/com.arcsoft.LoginNew?com=arcsoftBanner&awp=index3. html&DIRECT=&USERNAME=mbc68&PASSWORD=nikoneditor_-1913841175&WHO=memberguest

Black paint does not expose the scuff marks, also it is very intimidating :evil:

Pro_Tour_630
03-28-2004, 04:25 PM
thinkin of trying black socks and shorts ala baldi to match my wand, hope I dont burn my :oops:

babar
03-28-2004, 09:29 PM
i also didn't think the cosmetics of the pt280 were bad, i actually liked them. if i was weilding something like the wilson surge, i'd definitely paint them.

I have a Surge and would love to paint them another color just to stop all the riduclue I have to endure about the paint job. Not good for my self esteem :(

How much of a weight difference does it make? Can you just spray paint them? What kind? Thanks.

kreative
03-28-2004, 11:37 PM
or you could save yourself the hassle and trade them in for pure drives :lol:

Rocky Top
03-29-2004, 06:00 AM
Michael-

I remember when you first posted that link you mentioned something about using a solvent to strip off the old paint. Would you mind posting a little more about te procedure you used, including the type of primer, paint & clear coat?

The $64,000 dollar question seems to be how much weight paint adds. I used to string for a guy who had his sticks painted at an auto body shop. He said they were a little heavier, but we really didn't know how much.

Pro_Tour_630
03-30-2004, 11:08 AM
paint does add a little weight something like few grams and it does add on or two RDC stiffness points, so if you want to decrease stiffness of a frame strip the paint off

shissncg
03-31-2004, 11:22 AM
I just painted some of my sticks and re-weighed and balanced them. Three coats of matte black, two sections of some silver, and no clear coat (I will add this next) have added about 10 grams to the overall weight, the balance point was unchanged.