PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Different Strings -- Tips?

bladepdb
07-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Hey everyone! As I move on to stringing more types of strings than just synthetic gut, I was wondering on some tips you guys had for stringing different types of string. I've broke it down into sections so that I can be a better stringer not just for myself but for the friends I string for.

I realize there are certain general tips for all strings (e.g. avoid kinks), but I also know there are special things to watch out for when stringing, say nat gut or poly...I'd just like to know what those special things to watch out for are!

Synthetic Gut (Straight up Syn Guts like PSGD, Gosen OG Micro, Forten Sweet):
- Pre-Stretch benefit: just reduces coil memory...anything else?
- Stretches fairly well?

Poly/Co-Poly (Luxilon, Pro Supex BG, Bab PHT, etc.)
- Pre-Stretch: Yes or No?
- Be very careful to avoid kinks.
- Doesn't stretch much.

Natual Gut (Bab VS, Tonic, Klip Legend, etc.)
- Pre-Stretch: Yes...any particular things to be careful about when pre-stretching?
- Take the extra time to avoid kinks at all cost.
- Anything else?

I'll add questions as they come up, and as always, I appreciate the input from the awesome stringers here!

ODYSSEY Mk.4
07-19-2008, 01:45 PM
make sure you clean your clamps with alcohol prior to stringing gut if not the coating on the gut may just slip through
stringing poly sucks lol its harsh on the fingers um try to avoid use of a crappy awl when using gut too

bladepdb
07-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Oh and I've heard that you should always pre-stretch natural gut...can anyone explain to me why it is important to pre-stretch natural gut? I thought the main reason was just to take away coil memory and help reduce kinks...since kinks are a big issue with nat gut, is that it?

Also how do most of you pre-stretch strings? I don't have a stringer with a pre-stretch function.

07-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Personally, i wouldnt ever pre-stretch syn gut or any poly. Ive never strung nat gut so cant comment on that

bladepdb
07-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I only string a couple of frames a week so I don't mind the extra time to pre-stretch to take the coil memory out.

YULitle
07-21-2008, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't ever pre-stretch unless someone asks for it, or if you've already done it and the person likes it.

Steve Huff
07-21-2008, 05:10 PM
When you string hybrids, use 4 knots.

bladepdb
07-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Well what about pre-stretching natural guts? Is that optional as well or highly recommended for nat gut?

YULitle
07-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Well what about pre-stretching natural guts? Is that optional as well or highly recommended for nat gut?

You see it done more frequently with natural gut, but I still maintain that it is only something you should do for other people's racquets if they ask for it.