PDA

View Full Version : Wilson sensation

07-19-2008, 02:54 PM
I've used Sensation 16 or 17 thru the years. I've tried others that I liked (Nrg and head fibergel?) better for 1 or 2 sessions, but nothing that seemed to maintain it's playability as well as sensation over a few weeks.

How do you think sensation compares?
didn't see much on it in a search.

What are some other favorites out there for longer playability to use in my hybrid?
Maybe something a little better to start with that will hold that longer, and a bonus if it is a better price!
I'll probably just end up going to gut since I don't break quickly, but would like to hear of others favorites.

tennisfreak15347
07-19-2008, 04:40 PM
If you like Sensation alot, you should definetly try NXT. It's a step up from Sensation in all aspects; better tension maintainence, longer life, better feel, control, ect.

07-19-2008, 06:05 PM
If you like Sensation alot, you should definetly try NXT. It's a step up from Sensation in all aspects; better tension maintainence, longer life, better feel, control, ect.

Thanks, although it it's not that I like it that well, but it just seems to hold up better after a couple of outings. NXT sounds like a step in the right direction since u say it has better tension maintainence along with better feel.

superstition
07-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Sensation is a low-quality string.

07-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Sensation is a low-quality string.

Thanks, so what do think is a high quality string, that maintains that quality for more than 4 hrs of hitting?
That was the main question of the thread.

07-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Have some Pro supex Max touch coming. I read on another thread or 2 that is a good one for the price.

Valjean
07-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks, so what do think is a high quality string, that maintains that quality for more than 4 hrs of hitting?
That was the main question of the thread.
You could stay in Sensation's approximate price range and try out two more: Prince's Synthetic Gut Multifilament and Tecnifibre's Multifeel. Both have a center core, which helps with tension maintenance.

If you are considering NXT, which is one in a family of NXT multifilaments, you should look into the later NXT Max and NXT OS for even better tension support.

07-19-2008, 08:01 PM
You could stay in Sensation's approximate price range and try out two more: Prince's Synthetic Gut Multifilament and Tecnifibre's Multifeel. Both have a center core, which helps with tension maintenance.

If you are considering NXT, which is one in a family of NXT multifilaments, you should look into the later NXT Max and NXT OS for even better tension support.

Thanks, that is very helpful. the psgm seems to be one of the most popular hybrid strings on this forum, don't they.

Loco4Tennis
07-20-2008, 05:59 AM
is this the stuff you guys are talking about, price wise seems to be similar, never tried it
wilson sensation i am trying right now on the crosses, i have topspin cyberflash on the mains

Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament String 17
Price: 7.50Prince's highly popular synthetic gut is now available as Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament. The new improved construction adds a crisp feeling with exceptional power and long life. The thinner 17 gauge adds even more playability to this already lively string.

Gauge: 17 (1.24mm)
Length: 40 feet (12.2m)
Composition: Multifilament
Color: Natural

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/ProductImages/PSGM17.JPG

dork2tennisstud
07-20-2008, 08:01 AM
I never thought Sensation was worth the price. Gosen Micro Sheep is the go-to string for crosses, because it's dirt cheap and it's as good as any other synthetic gut out there.

What do you use as the other string in the hybrid? I agree with a lot of others on this board in that I think a lot of the new co-polys (CyberBlue, Poly Plasma, etc.) are fantastic: they last forever, they spin the ball like crazy, and they're much softer than polys used to be.

hoodjem
07-20-2008, 08:12 AM
I've tried Sensation 17g in several hybrids, and it worked great there. Indeed it and CF was favorite hybrid setup. Somehow the Sensation gave extra feel and feedback from the strings.

I have not tried a hybrid with NXT or Extreme--these may be even better.

I have tried CF and Gosen and this was very good, but the CF/Sensation was even better. (Both were much better than PSGD, too hard, and PSGO, too dead, IMO in hybrids.)

Loco4Tennis
07-20-2008, 08:16 AM
I've tried Sensation 17g in several hybrids, and it worked great there. Indeed it and CF was favorite hybrid setup. Somehow the Sensation gave extra feel and feedback from the strings.

I have tried CF and Gosen and this was very good, but the CF/Sensation was even better. (Both were much better than PSGD, too hard, and PSGO, too dead, IMO in hybrids.)

yup, im liking it too, here are the ones im testing right now
110 ProKennex Graphite Innovator mains 17g TopspinCyberFlash@54lbs; crosses 16g FortenNylon@58lbs
110 ProKennex Graphite Innovator mains 17g TopspinCyberFlash@56lbs; crosses 16g FortenNylon@60lbs (felt a little loose, so i thighten the screws a bit, to this tension)
110 ProKennex Graphite Innovator mains 17g TopspinCyberFlash@54lbs; crosses 16g WilsonSensation@58lbs

but if the price is not right, im goign with something else, i got a free pack when i got a racqueta while back, just strung it up

Valjean
07-20-2008, 10:49 AM
is this the stuff you guys are talking about, price wise seems to be similar, never tried it
wilson sensation i am trying right now on the crosses, i have topspin cyberflash on the mains

Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament String 17
Price: 7.50Prince's highly popular synthetic gut is now available as Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament. The new improved construction adds a crisp feeling with exceptional power and long life. The thinner 17 gauge adds even more playability to this already lively string.

Gauge: 17 (1.24mm)
Length: 40 feet (12.2m)
Composition: Multifilament
Color: Natural

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/ProductImages/PSGM17.JPG
Yes it is; here is the USRSA playtest too: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2007/01/prince_synthetic_gut_multifila.html

dork2tennisstud
07-20-2008, 09:48 PM

I agree, Prince Synthetic Guts (both w and w/o Duraflex) are garbage.

counter_puncher
07-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Sensation is the worst string I have ever tried.

07-21-2008, 07:45 AM
I never thought Sensation was worth the price. Gosen Micro Sheep is the go-to string for crosses, because it's dirt cheap and it's as good as any other synthetic gut out there.

What do you use as the other string in the hybrid? I agree with a lot of others on this board in that I think a lot of the new co-polys (CyberBlue, Poly Plasma, etc.) are fantastic: they last forever, they spin the ball like crazy, and they're much softer than polys used to be.

If this question was f me, I have been using big banger Orig for crosses, but have ordered Big Ace and Blue gear to try to extend playability. The BBO goes dead pretty quick I've learned. (I'm told I must put the blue gear in the mains, but not sure about that yet. think I will try both ways)

I'm also looking for a soft main that I can string in the 57lbs range opposed to the 60-61 I need for sensation. By bringing this down, I can bring the co poly down to 54-54 range, as I don't want the difference in mains and crosses to be to big. I have some max touch coming and considering your suggestion of gosen micro sheep. That reel is a steal at $30.

From reading, I really think the Big Ace is going to be the ticket for me and just need to work out a companion string that keeps it's playability high. I couldn't pass on trying the blue gear though.

Also, good to hear of the others who have found Sensation to better than avg choice in hybrids for the 6 thru 15 hrs of play, but clearly not the best for the first 4-5 hours.

Azzurri
07-21-2008, 07:51 AM

I agree. Nothing compares to Gosen Sheep for $29 (660' reel). Its a terific syn gut, I also played Sensation and the Gosen holds tension better, but its not a Multi.

07-21-2008, 08:10 AM
I agree. Nothing compares to Gosen Sheep for $29 (660' reel). Its a terific syn gut, I also played Sensation and the Gosen holds tension better, but its not a Multi.

thanks for your input as a former sensation and gosen sheep micro user.

Not to belabor the point but did u just try the sensation once, or did you work with some diff tensions and set ups? For me it has this initial drop, then holds pretty good for a long time. I found I had to string it at 60-62, have a hit with it and then after 3 days it had a tension that worked pretty well nearly till it broke.

I found if i was stringing for a match that afternoon, 57-57 worked great, but would be crap 3-4 days later. I also liked fibergel and nrg better for about a week, but found they both fell off for me quickly after that. Never liked psgd, but now am thinking maybe I was always stringing it too tight and expecting an initial drop like sensation? (which never happened)
Did u use psgd as well?

Azzurri
07-21-2008, 11:24 AM
thanks for your input as a former sensation and gosen sheep micro user.

Not to belabor the point but did u just try the sensation once, or did you work with some diff tensions and set ups? For me it has this initial drop, then holds pretty good for a long time. I found I had to string it at 60-62, have a hit with it and then after 3 days it had a tension that worked pretty well nearly till it broke.

I found if i was stringing for a match that afternoon, 57-57 worked great, but would be crap 3-4 days later. I also liked fibergel and nrg better for about a week, but found they both fell off for me quickly after that. Never liked psgd, but now am thinking maybe I was always stringing it too tight and expecting an initial drop like sensation? (which never happened)
Did u use psgd as well?

I use (still do) the Sensation in my PS 85. I string it up at 60 lbs. Since I don't use the racquet often, I rarely re-string it (evry 3 months or so). I just used the racquet for a set around 3 weeks ago and that string has been there since April and it still felt fine to me. Once I run out (one more string job), I will not buy it again because it costs way too much compared to the Gosen.

07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
I rarely re-string it (evry 3 months or so). I just used the racquet for a set around 3 weeks ago and that string has been there since April and it still felt fine to me.

Got you on that, but above is just my point. What other string will do that? I'm not saying they are not out there, but I just haven't found them yet.
Ends up being pretty cheap for a back up stick that can sit in the bag and be ready for 6-8 months.
Think the Gosen will also be good for that?

Azzurri
07-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Got you on that, but above is just my point. What other string will do that? I'm not saying they are not out there, but I just haven't found them yet.
Ends up being pretty cheap for a back up stick that can sit in the bag and be ready for 6-8 months.

Loco4Tennis
07-29-2008, 07:47 PM

if im not mistaken, i think i read that multi strings like "sensation", hold tension better than synthetic gut, maybe someone can provide more on this