PDA

View Full Version : string similar to nrg2

zacinnc78
07-20-2008, 09:34 AM
gettin ready to make an order...just wondering if any string is comparable to nrg2 (16) and will hopefully be 1.cheaper 2.less string movement 3. slightly less power maybe...but not as important as the first 2.....that being said i loved most things about nrg2

Valjean
07-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Klip's Excellerator.

zacinnc78
07-20-2008, 01:40 PM
thanks...but looking at prices,xcellerator is a little more expensive...did it move less and play about the smae?

TennisNinja
07-20-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm wondering about the same thing too.
I know X-One and NXT are all similar to NRG2, (I actually prefer X-One). But they're all really expensive. Does anybody know of strings that feel similar?

Valjean
07-20-2008, 05:07 PM
thanks...but looking at prices,xcellerator is a little more expensive...did it move less and play about the smae?
Yes, except NRG2 is one of the top two or three power multis out there, and the cheapest one, and you had said power wasn't such a priority. Excellerator is a great all-around multifilament string with medium power; the difference is 49 cents though. There is also Laserfibre's Laser Supreme, which costs even less (and with still less power). You start getting into a crisper feel and/or a higher rate of tension loss if they're soft the lower you go in price, too. Probably the sleeper out there to you now, though it only comes in 16 gauge, should be Babolat's venerable Fibertour at around $8-9.

zacinnc78
07-21-2008, 03:03 AM
Yes, except NRG2 is one of the top two or three power multis out there, and the cheapest one, and you had said power wasn't such a priority. Excellerator is a great all-around multifilament string with medium power; the difference is 49 cents though. There is also Laserfibre's Laser Supreme, which costs even less (and with still less power). You start getting into a crisper feel and/or a higher rate of tension loss if they're soft the lower you go in price, too. Probably the sleeper out there to you now, though it only comes in 16 gauge, should be Babolat's venerable Fibertour at around $8-9.

thanks for the info ...still havent ordered yet ...i like the details

rasajadad
07-21-2008, 04:46 AM
For a lot less, try PSGM. It's a bargain.

zacinnc78
07-21-2008, 12:40 PM
For a lot less, try PSGM. It's a bargain.

looks like uve made the switch urself(in a hybrid anyway),lol....did u ever use nrg2?can u compare the 2 plz?

Forehand Forever
07-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I used to use PSGM. Now I use NRG2 and its 1000 times better IMO.

07-22-2008, 11:04 AM
What about max touch?

NRG2 is a great string, but only for a short time for me.

rasajadad
07-22-2008, 12:20 PM
looks like uve made the switch urself(in a hybrid anyway),lol....did u ever use nrg2?can u compare the 2 plz?

I used to use NRG2 as a complete job. I always liked it. In my opinion, they play similarly, but PSGM lasts longer.

Blade0324
07-23-2008, 07:32 AM
I have not really found a cheaper alternative to NRG2 that plays very similar. There are others that are less expensive but I don't play the same. That is not necessarily bad just different. I like NRG2 well when very freshly strung but it gets kind of mushy and too powerful pretty quickly for me. I only use it occasionally in hybrids now as it is very soft and actually notches and breaks more quickly than even gut. Gut is more expensive certainly but lasts me about 3-4 times as long as NRG.

Keifers
07-23-2008, 08:54 AM
I have not really found a cheaper alternative to NRG2 that plays very similar. There are others that are less expensive but I don't play the same. That is not necessarily bad just different. I like NRG2 well when very freshly strung but it gets kind of mushy and too powerful pretty quickly for me. I only use it occasionally in hybrids now as it is very soft and actually notches and breaks more quickly than even gut. Gut is more expensive certainly but lasts me about 3-4 times as long as NRG.
I agree. I've enjoyed NRG2 quite a bit in the past, but it just didn't play well for very long. Gut is an excellent alternative that may be more economical (if you're not a string breaker). A gut hybrid even more so...

fuzz nation
07-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Never done a "Pepsi Challenge" between them, but you might want to check out the Yonex multi's to see if they might work. I had a set of 850 come in a 2nd hand frame that I bought off the boards and while the tension wasn't right for me, I used the strings at least a few times before I changed them and I was really surprised with how well they seemed to hold up. No signs of fraying and I cut them out when I was ready to try something different - they didn't break on me.

sciwriter
07-23-2008, 10:50 AM
I am also finding that NRG is great at first but becomes too powerful too quickly. Gut, though far more expensive initially, seems a better deal because it holds tension and provides quality performance much longer. Perhaps, though, using gut works financially only if you're not a string breaker.

Kcraig
07-23-2008, 11:07 AM
I have never used NRG, but I can agree on gut lasting and playing much better than avg multi. I have some exp with Maxim Touch--pretty durable multi and it only last me about 6hrs before snapping. On the other hand--my gut/poly hybrid (w/ stringsavers) last me around 18hrs and the playablility is very good up until the end. With the multi, the playablility drops off after about 4hrs or so.

zacinnc78
07-23-2008, 12:15 PM
yea...i used gut and its the first time i broke a string lol but my strings do move alot from topspin ....durability is a no-go with gut for me...

aussiegrinder
07-25-2008, 01:22 PM
i have been using nrg2 16g for 6months in a hybrid with h/tour mains.i have also used it as a full job it is an excellent string i have also used klip eccellerator and nxt tour and nxt. no multi is going to be very durable but nrg2 is better than most and if you buy the reel for $185.00 it works out at under $11 per full restring restring maybe try hybrid with syn gut cross to lower the cost good luck.

zacinnc78
07-25-2008, 06:18 PM
i have been using nrg2 16g for 6months in a hybrid with h/tour mains.i have also used it as a full job it is an excellent string i have also used klip eccellerator and nxt tour and nxt. no multi is going to be very durable but nrg2 is better than most and if you buy the reel for $185.00 it works out at under $11 per full restring restring maybe try hybrid with syn gut cross to lower the cost good luck.

thats a good idea ...which syn gut would go good with nrg to tame the string movement and maybe take a shade of power out of them....all while staying nice an soft?