PDA

View Full Version : question about stringing

nadalfan007
07-20-2008, 09:40 AM
okay, so my tennis coach strings my racquets and apparently, he says he does it in a one piece stringing the crosses from the bottom up. the signum pro plasma he has been stringing on my racquet have always broken in around only one week of playing! Could the durability issue be because of the way he is stringing my racquet? Cuz this is supposed to be the most durable string on the planet.

YULitle
07-20-2008, 09:57 AM
It COULD be, but I doubt it's JUST the bottom-up stringing method. Do you ever watch him string? Does he burn the crosses or otherwise kink the string in any way?

You could always take it somewhere else to compare.

TenniseaWilliams
07-20-2008, 11:22 AM
SPPP is so brittle there is little chance a string job with a kink would last a week if OP is a hard hitter. It's relatively low friction on crosses in a full job, his coach would have to be pretty careless to burn it.

Where does it break, and how many times has it happened? Do you have multiple racquets with the same breakage pattern?

nadalfan007
07-20-2008, 12:18 PM
the strings always break in the mains. they've never broken in the crosses. i have the string strung at 61 lbs. i break the strings once a week. it's cost me a lot of money to waste because of how often I have my racquet restrung.

TenniseaWilliams
07-21-2008, 05:05 AM
You could try a different string. Prince ProBlend and the other kevlars are more durable, but very hard on the body. Luxilon ALU is a tougher poly, but expensive. Or try some of the poly's that are nearly as soft but aren't quite as brittle, such as Weiss Cannon Silver String, or Topspin Cyber Blue and see if they last a little longer.

If you really like the SPPP, get a reel for almost half the cost per string set, and a backup racquet.