PDA

View Full Version : another question about nadals gripsize

RoddickistheMan
07-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Whats going on,
Recently Ive been reading posts and threads about how nadal uses 4 and 1/4 grip size with his aeropro drive. Seeing as though nadal uses it just fine. I took it upon myself to experiment with this somewhat small gripsize using his same racquet. I am about 5 foot 8 and have average sized hands. The grip felt pretty small when holding it. Also when hitting with this small grip I noticed the racket would slip quite frequently. I was thinking if this grip is small for me theres no way nadal who's 6 foot something can use this grip size. I looked at some pics of nadal and hitting forehands and with his racquet in hand. The grip looks bigger than 4 and 1/4 in some pics. Is there any proof that nadal really does use this grip size.

PED
07-20-2008, 01:01 PM
It's been documented numerous times on these boards by people who have strung Nadal's sticks. I'm 5ft 10 and switched to the 1/4 grip this spring after using a 3/8 for years. I like the extra wrist snappiness available to me by using the smaller grip but it does take awhile to get used to. I don't notice that my grip slips anymore than it would with a thicker grip. Why would Nadal lie about using a 1/4 grip. It's all personal choice in the end. BTW, what type of forehand grip do you use. I use an SW and the smaller grip is great for that. With a Western FH, the smaller grip is even better. I think alot of it boils down to your game. What works for Nadal might not work for you or me ;)

RoddickistheMan
07-20-2008, 01:22 PM
i used the federer grip for awhile the extreme eastern however i have ventured over to the sw and might even go to western since i use a open stance and like more margin

CaveMan
07-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Nadal also uses 3 overgrips.

mfischer
07-22-2008, 02:58 AM
grip size depends on the size of your hands, esp. length of fingers, NOT on the height

10isDad
07-22-2008, 04:52 AM
... I like the extra wrist snappiness available to me by using the smaller grip but it does take awhile to get used to...

I'd love someone to explain the physics behind how a smaller grip supposedly helps wrist snap.

I don't get it and I've experimented with all sorts of different things. I've got a 32 oz Powerade bottle in front of me and holding it doesn't limit or lessen wrist snap at all, even compared with holding nothing. It certainly doesn't limit pronation either.

I've heard this argument for years and I just don't buy it

hellojeffo
07-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Nadal also uses 3 overgrips.
Oh, and it's 3 overgrips, without any grip beneath them..:)