PDA

View Full Version : a3 accelerators: initial impressions

[d]ragon
07-20-2008, 12:33 PM
wore through my babolat AC3s and so i ordered a pair of these. came in the other day and some observations:

pretty narrow fit. read TW's review and they said it was "snug fit" but i thought it was definitely narrow. im gonna exchange for a 1/2 size larger and see if that helps
length is true to size
looks like a sturdy shoe. the silver along the bubbles looks cheap but the rest of the shoe seems pretty well built
also in TW's review, they mentioned a problem with heel slippage. i found the same thing. walked around the house and my heel would slip out of the shoe alot. still
thinking of a way to counter this (chime in if u hav any ideas)
the sole pattern looks pretty good. of course i wont know how good traction is until i;ve actually played with them
laces are shorter than im used to. normally my tennis shoes come with ample shoe lace length. im thinking this might be because i tied the shoes up very loosely to
counter the narrow fit
the high arch support is definitely noticeable. not recommended for flat footers

all i can think of right now. i;ll definitely post more info on how the shoe plays once i exchange them for a larger size. if u;ve got any other questions, i;ll try my best
to answer them but i;ve already put the shoes back in the box and taped it so im not sure how much i can help

UPDATE: i really did not like the heel slippage so i;ve exchanged these for another shoe (vapor 5s). so no review will be coming, sorry guys
but if you;re interested, see http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...50#post2575650 for my impressions of the vapors

cheers

ambro
07-20-2008, 12:37 PM
The sole didn't last long for me. I've had Barricades and they lasted 3+ times longer than these did. Also, the stitching on the leather toe-cover came undone every 2 weeks on mine. I just took them to a shoe repair place every once in a while and that did the trick. Overall, the durability is terrible. I liked the shoes performance, but it didn't last.

[d]ragon
07-21-2008, 11:00 AM
thanks for the input ambro. i;ll make sure to watch for that when i start playing in them

rorourboat320
07-21-2008, 08:17 PM
thanks for the review. looking in on buying but i think i'll wait until you've updated

get it in
07-23-2008, 11:00 AM
I've been using the shoe for about 4 months now. The fit is indeed narrow and there's a little slipping in the heel, but it's not bad when you're playing. I do like the traction, though. For my money, I think the a3 prevail is a better fit but not as good looking.

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-23-2008, 03:21 PM
I agree that they aren't as durable as Barricades. I'd also like to add that I find them lacking forefoot cushioning, which is why I don't wear them on hardcourts.

mendozer
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
yeah they definitely dont have that much forefoot cushioning. The barricades are a bit heavy to me but not by that much. I play on hard courts and burn through these shoes every 4 months, usually holes develop on the top of the shoe and the traction wears off really easily in my opinion. But overall a very good shoe (if you can purchase new ones frequently).

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-23-2008, 05:41 PM
yeah they definitely dont have that much forefoot cushioning. The barricades are a bit heavy to me but not by that much. I play on hard courts and burn through these shoes every 4 months, usually holes develop on the top of the shoe and the traction wears off really easily in my opinion. But overall a very good shoe (if you can purchase new ones frequently).

Try the Barricade II if you find the IV and V to be too heavy. The II is lighter and more cushioned than the Accelerator.

Nobuhiko
07-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Yo Dragon, I have these shoes and I think they're great. I'll admit like everyone else the traction isn't as well as the barricade, but this is a shoe that is slightly lighter, built for comfort, and has a warranty. So you have to look at the reasons why people would opt this instead of the barricades. And the heel slippage thing I sort of found a solution that works for me, maybe you can try. If you use one of those ultra thin athlete socks, try using a regular sock then. Also where you wear out on the sole does count as well. I tend to wear out my shoes evenly, but on my first pair of these the bottom wore out the quickest and it was eating through the plastic really bad. I slid a couple of times on hard court as if it was a clay court. I really like this shoe and would prefer these over the barricade IV, but I have yet to try the Barricade V. Hope this helps.

consistency wins
07-23-2008, 10:50 PM
The sole didn't last long for me. I've had Barricades and they lasted 3+ times longer than these did. Also, the stitching on the leather toe-cover came undone every 2 weeks on mine. I just took them to a shoe repair place every once in a while and that did the trick. Overall, the durability is terrible. I liked the shoes performance, but it didn't last.

The stitching on mine lasted about three weeks. These shoes are crap. Had they not been a gift to me and had I had the original receipt, I would have returned them if not thrown them into the counter. I keep telling the person that gave them to me for a gift that they work great to pacify them.

Yes, I scramble on the court and play four to five days a week. But the 6 month guarantee should be about 6 weeks to the normal player. I have played Barricades for years and took a chance on these when asked what I wanted for my birthday. I'll NEVER play anything outside of Barricades.

These shoes fell apart in what seemed like minutes compared to the Barricades. I can still cut the grass with the Barricades I bought four years ago. These shoes in mention were in the trash two months after purchasing them.

[d]ragon
07-25-2008, 08:30 PM
so i got 1/2 size up and it definitely helped with the narrowness. the length is a bit longer than I would like buts its not a big problem. the fit went from too narrow to glove-like, nice and snug. the laces are still abit shorter than i'd like.

the heel slippage is still very noticeable. i cinched the top lace and it helped abit but my heel still slips out and its very distracting. not something i look for in a shoe and i will probably return these/exchange for another shoe.

tennis 24/7
07-29-2008, 08:33 AM
I have had a couple pairs of these shoes and i have found the same problem with the heel slipping; however, they feel more comfortable than the barricades and they are lighter which is better for someone like me. I move around the court a lot and they are a maneuverable shoe. But, that's just my opinion.

[d]ragon
08-01-2008, 05:50 PM
i;ve exchanged these for another shoe (vapor 5s) so no review will be coming. sorry

see http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2575650#post2575650 for my impressions of the vapors

baek57
08-01-2008, 09:53 PM
try this
http://www.newbalance.com/techcenter/#/lacing/

i personally use the heel slip method of tying shoe laces

[d]ragon
08-01-2008, 10:18 PM
^^^ wow thats a pretty helpful tool. i already returned them so it doesnt really matter now tho