PDA

View Full Version : Tennis and Academics

I am mentally tough!
07-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Hey guys! What Universities do you think balance great (men's) tennis and great academics?

federer envies me
07-20-2008, 07:08 PM
virginia!!

tacoben
07-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Since I'm from Northern California, I would say....Cal Berkeley and Stanford. It really depends on the student/athlete to balance the two out.

DashaandSafin
07-28-2008, 01:12 AM
Notre Dame

sureshs
07-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Great academics is upto the student, not the school.

And it is really very difficult to balance the two. People seldom excel in two things at once. I am talking about majors which need real study, not dilute ones where you can just cram the night before.

ClarkC
07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
I would like to hear from college tennis players concerning how big a problem it is to schedule the classes they need and still get to all the team practices, meetings, etc.

What happens when the lab you need is only offered on Thursday from 2 until 5 in the afternoon? I would suspect that the answer varies among NCAA Divisions I, II, III, and NAIA schools.

Fedace
07-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Hey guys! What Universities do you think balance great (men's) tennis and great academics?

Stanford, and Cal and/or UCLA. but not everyone can get into these prestigious schools. so it really depends on what your GPA is and what your ranking is. So question should be really, with these credentials, which schools would be best for me ?? Northwestern is also a GREAT school for academics and tennis. their tennis team has been weak as of late but they are improving. Also U of Michigan is a great school. this school is especially good cause they have such STRONG support for their athletes. If you are in their varsity athletics, you will get preferential treatments that other students normally do not receive.:)

Fedace
07-29-2008, 05:52 PM
I would like to hear from college tennis players concerning how big a problem it is to schedule the classes they need and still get to all the team practices, meetings, etc.

What happens when the lab you need is only offered on Thursday from 2 until 5 in the afternoon? I would suspect that the answer varies among NCAA Divisions I, II, III, and NAIA schools.

YES, i understand what you mean. But a School like U of Michigan for instance has strong support for their athletes. You can reschedule most or all of your tests, they have people that goes to class when on away matches and takes notes for you, also if there is a Lab that can't be rescheduled, coaches will often work with the players or you can do make up labs and ETC. So my recommendation is ASK these questions when touring the schools and see which is better and has better support system. Some schools are better than others...:)