PDA

View Full Version : Psgd/psgm

Joker
07-20-2008, 08:19 PM
So I been using PSGD for a while and the PSGM seems to be getting pretty popular. How do they compare?

bladepdb
07-20-2008, 08:33 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=210653 has all the answers you need.

rasajadad
07-21-2008, 04:48 AM
PSGM lasts a lot longer, it's softer too.

SonRK
07-21-2008, 06:02 AM
I find that both strings last me just about a week of hitting. Nothing beats a fresh PSGD job, it just feels so crisp. Once it gets mushy though, that's when I start to hate it. PSGM is a good cheap multifilament, that's good when I want to be economical, but there are better livelier multis out there

Valjean
07-21-2008, 08:15 AM
There's already been a recent thread on this, begun only yesterday: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=210653

Hit that "Search" button now.

07-21-2008, 08:50 AM
I find that both strings last me just about a week of hitting. Nothing beats a fresh PSGD job, it just feels so crisp. Once it gets mushy though, that's when I start to hate it. PSGM is a good cheap multifilament, that's good when I want to be economical, but there are better livelier multis out there

I never liked psgd, but maybe i was stringing it too tight. Seemed more boardy than a poly to me. think it need lower tension than sensation? could be why I didn't like the dura flex and also why others didn't like sensation. Maybe the sensation needed 3-4 more lbs of tension for them?

hoodjem
07-21-2008, 09:47 AM
As an experiment, I just got one of my racquets strung with a full-bed of 17g PSGD. (Before this racquet had been my favorite, with a hybrid of CF mains and Sensation crosses.) I had tried PSGD in a bybrid and it was pretty good.

Everyone had been telling me that, if I like crisp, I will like PSGD.

Well, I thought I liked crisp, but I don't like full PSGD. It has little feel, was kind of "hard" IMO more than crisp, and the strings move all over the place. The feel is less than I have in my CF/Gosen hybrid. The sound of the ball off the strings is more of a thwack, not a zing. (Zing is what I wanted.) I conclude that PSGD is more hard than crisp IMO.

Bottom line is I learned a good lesson: I like hybrids. Also, I like zing (but maybe that's not the same as "crispness"). I don't like full PSGD. I don't like string movement.

Live and learn. I can't wait to cut it out.

Valjean
07-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, Duraflex is kevlar; that's what controls PSGD's feel, and I deny "crisp" is what you can call that too.

bluetrain4
07-21-2008, 02:06 PM

I agree, I love PSGD freshly strung (even more so than many much more expensive strings), and I don't mind that it is rather stiff. Strung on the tighter end of the scale, it is sort of poly-ish. I usually don't have problems with PSGD getting mushy, because, let's be honest, for a lot of players' PSGD breaks fairly quickly. Not the most horrible durability I've seen, but below average.

The one time I used PSGM, I though it was really exceptional, especially considering the price, but I thought I read on these boards that they changed it from its original incarnation.

SonRK
07-21-2008, 06:19 PM
I agree, I love PSGD freshly strung (even more so than many much more expensive strings), and I don't mind that it is rather stiff. Strung on the tighter end of the scale, it is sort of poly-ish. I usually don't have problems with PSGD getting mushy, because, let's be honest, for a lot of players' PSGD breaks fairly quickly. Not the most horrible durability I've seen, but below average.

The one time I used PSGM, I though it was really exceptional, especially considering the price, but I thought I read on these boards that they changed it from its original incarnation.

I too have also read on these boards that they changed it. I had 2 packs left in my string box and I just opened one up to use as a main for my speedport tour. I found it to be the best combination so far for my racquet (PSGM mains and Gosen OG 17 crosses) Considering that I only have 3 more mains worth of PSGM left, that means I would have to buy a new pack, but I am worried about how the "new version" feels like.