PDA

View Full Version : why so many pros use the PD+?

Ross K
07-21-2008, 05:59 AM
It seems to be a pretty popular frame indeed amongst the pro players. I simply wondered - why? What are it's great attributes that the pro's so appreciate? FWIW at around the 4.0 level, I've known a few ppl (including myself) who have found it to have certain qualities but equally certain drawbacks (mainly in the control area and lack of stability areas.) It's definitely not the easiest racquet to get used to IMO. Anyway, I digress... what's the attraction for pro players?

bdog
07-21-2008, 06:20 AM
There could be many reasons.

Pros grew up using this racket, its popularity for the pd and pd+ started around 7 ys ago.

Roddick was a driving factor because he used it.

Longer rackets can maximize you serve.

It is no secret that many pros use longer rackets which are different from what they endorse. Sharapova and gonza come to mind quickly. I believe Bartoli uses a 29 inch racket. There are many threads which show who is using a longer racket. I think Jura and other pro stringers have that information.

You definitely give up a little control but pick up some pace. It really depends on what you are after in your game. As far as stability which you claim is lacking, the pd+ has a higher swing weight and stiffer frame than most, which would increase stablility. It is definitely lighter than a players frame, but in this spec range it is quite stable.

Ross K
07-21-2008, 12:10 PM
There could be many reasons.

Pros grew up using this racket, its popularity for the pd and pd+ started around 7 ys ago.

Roddick was a driving factor because he used it.

Longer rackets can maximize you serve.

It is no secret that many pros use longer rackets which are different from what they endorse. Sharapova and gonza come to mind quickly. I believe Bartoli uses a 29 inch racket. There are many threads which show who is using a longer racket. I think Jura and other pro stringers have that information.

You definitely give up a little control but pick up some pace. It really depends on what you are after in your game. As far as stability which you claim is lacking, the pd+ has a higher swing weight and stiffer frame than most, which would increase stablility. It is definitely lighter than a players frame, but in this spec range it is quite stable.

Actually, in the main, I think you're right. Although it can still twist a bit or torque when a heavy ball impacts upon it.

Obviously though, the 'control issues' that ppl forever cite (me included) in conjunction with Babolats, doesn't really apply with advanced and pro level players... I guess, courtesy of their skills and proficiency, they just know how to properly use these high powered, heavy topspin, ultra stiff rods? And us plebs don't!!

bdog
07-22-2008, 05:53 AM
Yeah, it does twist when a heavy ball impacts off center, but then most intermediate rackets do. Hit any racket dead center,no matter what stiffness or weight and it will feel darn good. Knowing your own limitations is helpful in choosing a racket and I respect that about you (wish more people were like that). Because I sure can't hit the sweet spot all the time.

If you are interested in the pd+, give it a try, because I wouldn't exactly call it ultra stiff. I play and teach with a variety of rackets and each company or model has something going for it. The reason I say it isn't ultra stiff is because of the woofer system, it does work. It pockets the ball more and gives the racket a less stiff feel. Hit the frame though and you will feel all the stiffness.

Given similar rackets, the same thing can be said with tighter string patterns, most players say it will give a racket a more 'boardy' feel to it. Also with thin beams, they always feel more flexible than specified. Not to menton static weight, heavy player frames also feel less stiff.

This racket has a lot going for it, a little bit of stiffness to control the power and a little length to give it more swingweight. A good combination for a big server.

Gabs011
07-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Ross - just to bring to your attention....the only decent pros that currently use this stick are Andreev and Roddick....there aren't actually that many who use this stick in the top 50 or top 100.

127mph
07-22-2008, 06:43 PM
because not everyone has good technique.

jmsx521
07-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Actually, the initial explosiveness of a swing is slower with a longer racket: Isn't that basic physics? Serving with a longer racket, in a way might be more difficult, because you wouldn't be able to come over the ball fast enough, as if you were using a regular length racket. I use longer ARPD, and while it may be more powerful with a proper swing, I can't generate the same amount of rapid fast swing -- because the racket is longer and less maneuverable.

Ross K
07-22-2008, 11:12 PM
bdog,

Actually the PD+ was my no 1 frame a few years back. Having lately had a few hits with it once again, I just made this thread to reacquaint myself with opinion and facts as relates to the racquet.

I must say... and this is coming from someone who in the last two years has been through the frames at an alarming rate of turn-over :roll: ... I've been pretty impressed by the PD+ (standard team non-Cortex version) and thought it compared very favorably indeed to the super-turbo-powered, unwieldly PDR and the clunky, tricky, no-feel-what-so-ever PC. It's smoother and has nice menouverability (yep, and that's with the plus size.) On the fh you can really stroke the ball out to the sides or just blast it. I volley better with it than many 'big rep' frames and its feel and touch, whilst not the very best, is certainly better than I recall, and better than a lot of Bab rods. Finally, I enjoyed not having to toil with the serve (like seems to be the case with so many frames for me) - serving... and this applies to my 2hbh as well... is pretty damn AWESOME with the PD+!

Gabs,

I'll have to look into it... I certainly imagined there were many PD+ users in the pro ranks.

bdog
07-23-2008, 05:11 AM
Ross K, I have to agree with you, some of my best tennis has been with the pd+. I was sponsored by Babolat a few years back and loved playing with the pd+ (my serve and volleys were at their best). Every time I pick it up, it is like going home again, it is my old friend. It is just plain fun. But is it perfect....no....but what racket is?

I have always stated my bias towards heavy player frames. I like the control and heavy ball. I am sponsored by Wilson now and switch around with the k90, k95(18x20) and the kblade98. I play tournaments with the k90 and teach with the kblade98. Great rackets! But sometimes it is nice to pick up a power frame and let it do the work for you. If I had to choose an intermediate frame to play with, the pd+ would be it hands down.

I have an old pure drive plus non-cortex racket which I won't be throwing away anytime soon.