PDA

View Full Version : Head Microgel Extreme Pro

tomas9848
07-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Hey has anybody used or demoed the Extreme Pro. I was thinking about getting one. Does anybody have any pros or cons about it.

jsomrak
07-22-2008, 05:33 PM
i bought one for my girlfriend, she loves it, i like it but i see you use an ag200. I do too and don't think ill switch. It could be the string job but i don't like the microgel as much. Im going to try the mg prestige next week. pros are: spin, (thats all i could come up with), cons: not as stable at net, lower power, felt light to me. again strings and grip size could have been a factor, but im not a huge fan.

SirBlend12
07-23-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm on the other end of this. At first I felt it was a little odd, and it did have that "light" feel. But if you get a good string job, and then add 3 grams of lead at 10 and 2 (6 total... the sweetspot is really low so this really raised it and made it seem bigger), you'll not only get incredible spin and control out of it, but a hell of a lot of power, as well. Once you get used to the heft, it's a force to be reckoned with.

Fedace
07-23-2008, 07:01 AM
i bought one for my girlfriend, she loves it, i like it but i see you use an ag200. I do too and don't think ill switch. It could be the string job but i don't like the microgel as much. Im going to try the mg prestige next week. pros are: spin, (thats all i could come up with), cons: not as stable at net, lower power, felt light to me. again strings and grip size could have been a factor, but im not a huge fan.

I tried the microgel Extreme and it nearly made arm fall off. i hope the Pro version is not the same way. this particular model of the microgel just does not do a very good job of dampening the vib

SirBlend12
07-23-2008, 07:19 AM
The pro is a little better because of the added weight, and if you lead it and use a worm shock, it's really not bad at all.

IceNineTX
07-23-2008, 07:33 AM
The pro is a little better because of the added weight, and if you lead it and use a worm shock, it's really not bad at all.

I use it and love it and am looking to buy a couple more used ones if I can find them. I go back and forth between no dampener and a rubber band. I've never had arm issues, but that's a very personal thing. You just have to hit with it to tell.

I also have the non pro version. I like it too, but I like the heft of the pro a little more. I've never added lead, but may have to play around. With the pro version, if you swing through the ball, you get very nice spin and pop on serves.

fluffy Beaver
07-23-2008, 08:26 AM
I tried the microgel Extreme and it nearly made arm fall off. i hope the Pro version is not the same way. this particular model of the microgel just does not do a very good job of dampening the vib

Sigh... do you really need me to combine the 50+ post about you hating this racquet and that it is dangerous for people's arms?

On Topic, has some of the craziest spin potential.

Edit:

Something Interesting, you say you haven't used the pro but look at this post.

FYI, I am not the only one that had Really bad arm problems after using the Microgel Extreme or Extreme pro. I can count literally dozens of people that i know of and also some from this forum that had major are pain after trying the racket. OK, some of you may have done fine with the racket, but over the long run, i believe you will have problems as well. For your info, i do not have bad form, i have textbook form on all my shots and i was also rated by USTA pro to be roughly 5.0 USTA as recently as 2 years ago.:D

Fedace
07-23-2008, 08:35 AM
^^^Maybe your beaver needs to be fluffed some more...

fluffy Beaver
07-23-2008, 08:37 AM

This is relevant to the topic how? You obviously hate the racquet and just want to give it a bad name. Why is it you say you haven't used the Pro version but in a previous post say both pro and non-pro gave you arm problems?

Explain please.

SirBlend12
07-25-2008, 07:43 AM
I use it and love it and am looking to buy a couple more used ones if I can find them. I go back and forth between no dampener and a rubber band. I've never had arm issues, but that's a very personal thing. You just have to hit with it to tell.

I also have the non pro version. I like it too, but I like the heft of the pro a little more. I've never added lead, but may have to play around. With the pro version, if you swing through the ball, you get very nice spin and pop on serves.

I put 3 grams at 10 and 2 (6 total), and let me tell you, if you thought it had spin and pop at standard, that little raise in sweet spot and weight makes it INSANE. Topspin is lethal, slices that go backwards, and kickers like no other. I also get huge flat serves out of it.

IceNineTX
07-25-2008, 07:53 AM
I put 3 grams at 10 and 2 (6 total), and let me tell you, if you thought it had spin and pop at standard, that little raise in sweet spot and weight makes it INSANE. Topspin is lethal, slices that go backwards, and kickers like no other. I also get huge flat serves out of it.

If I can find a couple more used sticks, I'll do some experimenting on the spares. I keep getting outbid. :-( I need to sell my Extremes (non pro) to
fund them as well.

10sbune
07-25-2008, 08:33 AM

Good one....

nickarnold2000
07-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Are you guys all current pros? Not! This thread needs to be moved the racket section!

IceNineTX
07-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Are you guys all current pros? Not! This thread needs to be moved the racket section!

Heh, good point. I never even noticed where the thread was.

jsomrak
07-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Ok, now my girlfriend is mad, i keep buying her racquets and using them myself. with new strings, blue gear 17 mains and sensation 16 crosses at 58lbs. and added weight at 3 and 9. I cannot believe the spin, holy f***ing sh*t! ,very heavy topspin, and very good feel at net. I also added a vibe dampener. i am also going to try a technifibre 335 next week and see which i like better. anyone else have any string ideas for either racquets? oh, yah why is this post on this page?

IceNineTX
07-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Ok, since we are on the topic of the MG Extreme Pro, does this one look real on the bay?

Two things are bugging me. I've never seen one sold new and strung. And something about the head shape doesn't look right. It's not as tear droppy and seems more uniformly oval. The butt cap also doesn't look like any of my Extremes. Mine don't have the Head name and have sizing info printed on them. I'm probably being paranoid.

Bagdatis toy hippo
07-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Hey has anybody used or demoed the Extreme Pro. I was thinking about getting one. Does anybody have any pros or cons about it.

I demoed the extreme and the extreme pro. The extreme pro was a little better, but overall I found them to be very inconsistent. I let my friend borrow the demo, and he loves it so much he's not playing tennis with me until he gets it.

EasternRocks
08-12-2008, 04:39 AM
I'm thinking about switching to the Extreme. But I hear the Pro is better but what's the difference if I add lead tape to the Extreme? Will there still be a difference?

pfchang
08-12-2008, 05:05 AM
being around a 4.5 playa, i thought the extremes (demoed both)
were very forgiving. topspin was easy to produce, and there was also a good feeling of control. only thing was that the non-pro was like a shotgun. a little too much power for my taste and the pro version was a little better at control.

but i stick with my Kblade Tour due to the utmost precision i get from it.

SirBlend12
09-06-2008, 09:49 AM
It's definitely a stick you need experience with to wield effectively. If you lead to raise the sweetspot and can handle the wight and spin, then it's definitely the most forgiving and versatile stick I've ever used. That and any radical. I have mine now leaded at 10/2 and 3/9 with a total of 12 grams (3 at each spot) and countered with 8 grams in the handle. It's a fricken beast.

smart_player
09-07-2008, 01:07 AM
this racket needs heavily customizing in order to unlock its potential. I have 10 grams at 3 and 9 (5 each side) and 40 grams in the handle. totally differnt racket now (for the better).

Inner Game
09-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Being a USPTA pro we have a contract with Head, This year I got 2 of the Micro Gel Extreme Pros and I have to say I really didn't like the racket much. The racket seemed inconsistent compared to N Code....I think overall Wilson rackets have more control and a more consistent string bed.

But I did try the Black Prince 03 which played very solid with good control and power but was tough on my arm....and I have never had a arm problem in 35 years of playing tennis.

Bottom line save your money on the Head Micro Gel Extreme Pro......it was average or below.

Casco
09-10-2008, 06:20 PM
I use the Extreme Pro. I customize with lead at 10 and 2 to bring it's stock weight of 315 grams unstrung to 320 grams. With string and overgrip the weight ends up at 340. Balance at about 330 mms (with string and ovrgrip). I tend to stick with Luxilon ALU or stiffer poly strings as softer polys tend to make it too powerful. Tremendous spin. Great one handed backhands. Serves fantastic.

SirBlend12
09-10-2008, 09:52 PM
I see a pattern here including myself: lead makes this thing awesome.

t7ruong
10-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Wow guys, i have 4 extreme pro's myself and i never knew that if i lead them up I could get more potential.

So if i wanted to experiment, what do u guys mean by "10/2" and such? 10 means the hole ? what does 2 mean?

wao
10-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Wow guys, i have 4 extreme pro's myself and i never knew that if i lead them up I could get more potential.

So if i wanted to experiment, what do u guys mean by "10/2" and such? 10 means the hole ? what does 2 mean? If you look at the racquet head as a clock 10 and 2. I use the Extreme and added my weight right at 12 and love it. Though I have made other modifications, I extended the length to 27.75. It way's in at 12.0oz and is close to 9 points HL.