PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar Loose Tension

phamphihung
07-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi All,

Does Kevlar loose tension quick ?

jxs653
07-23-2008, 08:05 AM
No, I think kevlar maintains tension well.

diredesire
07-23-2008, 12:58 PM
No, I think kevlar maintains tension well.

In lab testing, kevlar is actually one of the (if not the) worst at holding tension. The major difference is that Kevlar is going to feel pretty much the same regardless of whether it loses 10+% of it's tension.

So to answer your question, yes, it loses a significant amount of tension, but you might not even notice!

Cup8489
07-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi All,

Does Kevlar loose tension quick ?

yes, and it's extremely stiff.

not a fun string to string with, or, IMO, play with.

Bud
07-23-2008, 01:29 PM
In lab testing, kevlar is actually one of the (if not the) worst at holding tension. The major difference is that Kevlar is going to feel pretty much the same regardless of whether it loses 10+% of it's tension.

So to answer your question, yes, it loses a significant amount of tension, but you might not even notice!

Exactly. Whether it's at full 'tension' or low tension... it feels similar. I think the reason is because it's more like cloth... which doesn't have the same type of elastic properties as gut, SG or Nylon. I think it's also why stringing kevlar in the 30's doesn't seem to affect the feel too much... since it has more give... at a loose initial tension... it holds tension pretty well. At a high initial tension, it loses tension quickly (my assumption). It's definitely an interesting material.

I think Poly 'string' is similar to Kevlar in this respect... in that once it's played a certian length of time... it loses whatever small amount of elasticity it possessed, initially. This occurs from the stretching / deformation that occurs upon ball impact.

phamphihung
07-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi All,

Thank you so much for all of your input, I trung one of my racket with Forten Thin Blend at 48/52 after a week I notice that didn't have a control like the first time.

obnoxious2
07-23-2008, 07:39 PM
I got my racquet strung crossfire style (kevlar mains and syn crosses) at 50/52 and I've been playing alot with it the past month. After about 1.5 weeks, the strings lose significant tension but I find myself taking even bigger cuts at the ball as the ball just won't sail long as long as your are making good contact with it.