PDA

View Full Version : big ace/blue gear hybrid?

tsongaali
07-21-2008, 09:56 AM
I break my psgd strings (full bed) every month, and I am sick of the expensive costs of the stringers at the pro shop. I tried a poly on before (PHT fullbed) but it gave me some arm problems and went dead quick. I read nickb's poly reviews and I am thinking of using either big ace or blue gear for the mains and psgd for the crosses both at 57 pounds. Will this combo last a while (I play around 8 hours a week) and will it still give me arm problems?

lefty001
07-21-2008, 11:11 AM
I break my psgd strings (full bed) every month, and I am sick of the expensive costs of the stringers at the pro shop. I tried a poly on before (PHT fullbed) but it gave me some arm problems and went dead quick. I read nickb's poly reviews and I am thinking of using either big ace or blue gear for the mains and psgd for the crosses both at 57 pounds. Will this combo last a while (I play around 8 hours a week) and will it still give me arm problems?

I have rackets strung with Big Ace main Titan cross, and Blue Gear main Titan cross. Blue Gear is stiffer compared to BA and it may give you arm problems. BA is softer. I prefer the BA hybrid over the BG because I get a good blend of feel, spin, power, and control. As for BG more spin but less feel. I used to have the similar problem as you using multi's and syn gut. Got tired of getting them strung all the time because I kept on breaking strings about every 8 hours of play.

07-21-2008, 12:22 PM

sounds like time to invest in a stringing machine. Get a reel of Gosen f $30 and have a fresh stick every 2-4 weeks for about $2.50 and one hr of your time after the first 9 mos of machine payoff! A $350 machine will pay for itself in less than a yr. for you.

tsongaali
07-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I would prefer not to string my own racquets, don't ask why. Anyways I think I am going to try the bigace/psgd combo and see how that works just in case blue gear is too stiff. Will my psgd crosses break before my big ace mains?

Eric4
07-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I would prefer not to string my own racquets, don't ask why. Anyways I think I am going to try the bigace/psgd combo and see how that works just in case blue gear is too stiff. Will my psgd crosses break before my big ace mains?

it depends often on the way you hit the ball. if you hit with a swing closer to the nadal end of the spectrum, the crosses may break first. if you hit with a flatter swing, the mains will break first or go dead before either the mains or crosses break.

jonolau
07-21-2008, 06:30 PM

Question is: with full PSGD, HOW MANY HOURS do you get before it snaps, and where does it break first? One month doesn't tell anything, but the number of hours will.

If you are a heavy topspin player, I'm afraid no cross is going to last for you.

If you try using a stiff cross such as a poly, your mains may end up snapping first when the cross saws into it.

07-21-2008, 08:47 PM

I don't care for stringing much either. But I care even less for having to wait for a stick to be ready and having to drive to go pick it up in time for my next match, especially if I break it on Friday and have a Sat. morn match to play. And I also hate playing with older strings (which is hard not to do when i don't string mine), just to save the money on string jobs. And I love the consistency of knowing what 60lbs means on my machine, having had some big variances from different stringers.

Trying out different approaches is also nice when u do it yourself. But I know what you mean about not wanting to do it too.LOL