PDA

View Full Version : I Want That String Tension Testing Gadget From Kraichek' Bag !!!!!!!!

Fedace
07-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Does anyone know where i can get that string tension checking Gadget from Mikaila Kraichek's Bag check in tennis channel ? and does anyone know if it acutally works and if it is accurate ?? :confused:

Zach
07-21-2008, 01:47 PM
You can get it on ATS, for like 300 bucks .I think it's gotten okay reviews here.

pennc94
07-21-2008, 02:22 PM
It is an ETS 300.

They measure dynamic tension - not the reference tension.

So you may string your racquet at 60 lbs and the ETS 300 may read 42.

The reading depends on your string, racquet, the whole stringing process. The usefulness of the ERT 300 is comparing the readings on a racquet with same string in the same racquet after a string job. You may decide to re-string once the ERT 300 reading drops by more than 15%.

Also, the reading on the ERT 300 may vary slightly depending on the location from which it takes a reading.

Fedace
07-21-2008, 02:28 PM
It is an ETS 300.

They measure dynamic tension - not the reference tension.

So you may string your racquet at 60 lbs and the ETS 300 may read 42.

The reading depends on your string, racquet, the whole stringing process. The usefulness of the ERT 300 is comparing the readings on a racquet with same string in the same racquet after a string job. You may decide to re-string once the ERT 300 reading drops by more than 15%.

Also, the reading on the ERT 300 may vary slightly depending on the location from which it takes a reading.

Thanks, but 300 dollars ??????? why so expensive ?? so you can tell how good the stringer is based on comparison with world class stringer vs the local boy ??

YULitle
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks, but 300 dollars ??????? why so expensive ?? so you can tell how good the stringer is based on comparison with world class stringer vs the local boy ??

Not really. I mean, if you had it strung by an on-site pro, checked it, then had it strung somewhere else and checked it again, you'd only be able to tell which strung up tighter/looser. Which is "better" depends on which you liked.

It's like having a device to gauge how much koolaid mix is in a 2 L bottle of water. Testing both helps you relate them, but it won't tell you which you like better until you try them.

Leelord337
07-21-2008, 04:00 PM
You can get it on ATS, for like 300 bucks .I think it's gotten okay reviews here.

i looked at ats sports.com and its not there

diredesire
07-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Not really. I mean, if you had it strung by an on-site pro, checked it, then had it strung somewhere else and checked it again, you'd only be able to tell which strung up tighter/looser. Which is "better" depends on which you liked.

It's like having a device to gauge how much koolaid mix is in a 2 L bottle of water. Testing both helps you relate them, but it won't tell you which you like better until you try them.

Nice comparison YL, I think that makes a lot of sense. Stringing is all about references. You need to refer to what you know to make a judgement call. If I meet a stringer that consistently strings with a static "tension" that is 5 lbs lower than what I ask for, I'll go to him every time vs another stringer that varies less than 2.5 lbs compared to my reference. I'll just adjust as is necessary.

Zach
07-21-2008, 06:04 PM
i looked at ats sports.com and its not there

Looks like you didn't look hard enough. http://www.atssports.com/tennis.cfm?prodid=656

Eric4
07-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Stringing is all about references.

so true, which is why it drives me crazy when people come in asking what strings to use when they dont even remember what was on their racquet. oh well, i guess some people just dont understand the concept.

Fedace
07-21-2008, 06:09 PM
so true, which is why it drives me crazy when people come in asking what strings to use when they dont even remember what was on their racquet. oh well, i guess some people just dont understand the concept.

Those guys are probably Beginners. and why is little machine so darn expensive. Who would dish out $200-300 for this little thing. and if you had it, what advantage would it give you ???:confused:

Pro_Tour_630
07-21-2008, 06:09 PM
fleabay had few for a lot less, at one time one went for $50

Leelord337
07-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Looks like you didn't look hard enough. http://www.atssports.com/tennis.cfm?prodid=656

thx, i typed in "tension tester" in the search box to no avail. thx for the link.

YULitle
07-21-2008, 06:54 PM
i typed in "tension tester" in the search box

There's your problem. It doesn't test tension.

FaultsNAces
07-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Keep in mind that the reference for the DT measurements is specific to the exact string/racket setup -- the KoolAid analogy would be to the specific color of KoolAid.

Example: in my MG PrestigePro's, VS 17 strung at 56 with an ATW pattern hits 39 on the DT every time (very consistent stringer!). But VS 17 at 57 in the mains with Lux Fluoro at 54 in the crosses also hits 39 DT every time -- yet these two string setups play very differently, and the all-gut has significantly more power. And Lux Fluoro at 54 in the mains and X-1 17ga at 56 in the crosses hits 36 DT reliably, yet has less power still than either of the above. And on and on.

But comparing the DTs of the same string setup readily indicates power level (and inversely control), so it is very useful for telling rackets apart and seeing how the tension is aging.

One curiousity to me is that while the person who strings my rackets is completely consistent according to initial DTs, I find that often the tension drops at very different rates when compared to the same setup, even when I'm pretty sure to have played the string approximately the same. Not sure what to attribute this to, could be a lot of things I suppose....

-frank

FaultsNAces
07-21-2008, 08:22 PM
And BTW, the thing I use is an "ERT 300", and it cost me about $180.

HyperHorse
07-21-2008, 09:42 PM
It's spelt Krajicek. Oh and if you cared to look TW actually sell those gadgets.

Fedace
07-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Keep in mind that the reference for the DT measurements is specific to the exact string/racket setup -- the KoolAid analogy would be to the specific color of KoolAid.

Example: in my MG PrestigePro's, VS 17 strung at 56 with an ATW pattern hits 39 on the DT every time (very consistent stringer!). But VS 17 at 57 in the mains with Lux Fluoro at 54 in the crosses also hits 39 DT every time -- yet these two string setups play very differently, and the all-gut has significantly more power. And Lux Fluoro at 54 in the mains and X-1 17ga at 56 in the crosses hits 36 DT reliably, yet has less power still than either of the above. And on and on.

But comparing the DTs of the same string setup readily indicates power level (and inversely control), so it is very useful for telling rackets apart and seeing how the tension is aging.

One curiousity to me is that while the person who strings my rackets is completely consistent according to initial DTs, I find that often the tension drops at very different rates when compared to the same setup, even when I'm pretty sure to have played the string approximately the same. Not sure what to attribute this to, could be a lot of things I suppose....

-frank

I have found that better the stringer, slower the loss of tension. and more consistant tension all across the string bed