PDA

View Full Version : Chronic groin pull

bridgerd
03-27-2004, 04:00 PM
I pull a groin muscle, can't play, so I lay off til no more pain. I stretch, warm up carefully, everything is all right for a few weeks, then I pull it again and lay off until it feels good. My question is, is there a product I can use while playing, such as a neoprene wrap, or even an ace bandage that would help end this cycle?

Ronaldo
03-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Icy hot, gets right to the root of the problem, followed by three thin applications of Thermogesic. After that treatment, I am ready for a Quadruple Lutz.

jun
03-27-2004, 08:13 PM
I don't know if Icyhot will be helpful. The groin is a pretty tender area, and if you put Icyhot on that area, it's going to be.....painful....

I don't know what's the deal with your situation though. I did pull my groin pretty bad once. I was struggling to put shorts on for like a week, and then it was all good to go. I never really pulled it badly again. Although it did get weaker.

I think you should take some time off tennis and try to strengthen that area. You might be able to find a machine that allows you to work on groin area. That' what I usually do. Someone can probably recommand you a exercise that doesn't require machine.

fred-s
03-28-2004, 07:55 AM
It's important to give it sufficient rest before you come back or else it becomes a chronic thing. If you have them a few times, you need to stretch and strengthen the muscles on a regular basis. Strengthening your core is very important too.

Groin or other leg injuries can result from an imbalance elsewhere. Following a significant back/hip problem, my physical therapist put a heel pad in my left shoe because one hip was higher than the other. I also focused more on strengthening my core muscles. Not only did my back/hip problem go away, but I went over a year with no groin or hamstring problems at all, barely a twinge -- a record for me.

I suggest you see a good physical therapist. Good luck and be patient.

fred-s
03-28-2004, 07:59 AM
One other point I forgot to mention. I wear compression shorts when playing tennis, a practice I started when I used to play basketball regularly, where I first pulled a groin muscle. They give the groin, hamstring and quads additional support and keep them warm.

Ronaldo
03-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Just joking, part of my PT included stretching the groin muscles.
Spend 10 minutes warming up on a bike or any cardio, then step forward into the lunge position. Don't stretch unless warm. You will feel the groin muscles stretch. Hold that stretch for 30 seconds. Stetch the other leg the same way. Do this 3 times. You will get a better stretch each time. It is just as important, maybe more to stretch after playing.

robkat
03-30-2004, 04:56 AM
In the past.. I always have pulled groin muscles playing.. it was a given.. I started wearing wearing compression shorts about three years ago , and I haven't pulled a muscle since.. I will not play without wearing a pair.. I do also stretch well before playing.

The Pusher Terminator
01-20-2006, 03:51 PM
what are compression shorts?

waves2ya
01-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Tight underwear type shorts; the best are Stomgren. UnderArmour is most popular right now (not gear tho' - fashion)...

Groin pulls are pernacious; the weakness in the adductors can lead to over compenastion in the rec abs and whole hip girdle goes. Esp. if you play on clay (think Rios). This dreaded injury de jour "sports hernia" is correctly known as athletic pubalgia. What McNabb had and had surgery for. Grant Hill, too. Even after surgery, he's not doing too well (more par for the course than most know).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/magic/2006-01-17-hill-hernia_x.htm

Ronaldo
01-20-2006, 05:22 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMAUA-UAMCS.html

The Pusher Terminator
01-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Tight underwear type shorts; the best are Stomgren. UnderArmour is most popular right now (not gear tho' - fashion)...

Groin pulls are pernacious; the weakness in the adductors can lead to over compenastion in the rec abs and whole hip girdle goes. Esp. if you play on clay (think Rios). This dreaded injury de jour "sports hernia" is correctly known as athletic pubalgia. What McNabb had and had surgery for. Grant Hill, too. Even after surgery, he's not doing too well (more par for the course than most know).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/magic/2006-01-17-hill-hernia_x.htm

Is it better to play on hard courts? Whatever did happen to rios?

waves2ya
01-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Saying goes that hardcourt yields shoulder & knee injuries; clay, pelvis & back. It's a real simplification, so lurkers out there pls don't go at me with the high & mighty's about generalization - I'm aware...

Btw - I still prefer clay. More flow, less staccato.

Here's another (for all those folks who say working out gets ya, well, into threads like this):

"As you age, you'll see either the cardiologist or the orthopedist"

My EKG is stellar - and I'm having fun!

Finally - from what I understand about Rios - chased after groin surgery (had it), rehabbed but faded, back started bothering him and had spinal surgery too. Haven't heard much since...

A last saying: "One surgical procedure a year"

The Pusher Terminator
01-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Saying goes that hardcourt yields shoulder & knee injuries; clay, pelvis & back. It's a real simplification, so lurkers out there pls don't go at me with the high & mighty's about generalization - I'm aware...

Btw - I still prefer clay. More flow, less staccato.

Here's another (for all those folks who say working out gets ya, well, into threads like this):

"As you age, you'll see either the cardiologist or the orthopedist"

My EKG is stellar - and I'm having fun!

Finally - from what I understand about Rios - chased after groin surgery (had it), rehabbed but faded, back started bothering him and had spinal surgery too. Haven't heard much since...

A last saying: "One surgical procedure a year"

well after pulling my groin...I think I would rather have knee and shoulder injury any day of the week!!! What I think may be the answer is to wear those grass court adidas shoes with the dimples on the bottom. Stops you from sliding!

troytennisbum
01-27-2006, 04:40 PM
I use to to have chronic groin pull as well. But after stretching on a regular basis and increasing the flexibility of my legs (but I do NOT stretch before playing), I don't have this problem anymore. Also, I make sure to give myself enough rest between hard days of playing.

pham4313
01-27-2006, 08:26 PM
how does boxers compare with briefs when playing tennis? I normally wear boxers and sometimes feel pain around groin area especially when i wear long pants playing in the cold. what are you guys experiences? Which is better for the package:boxers or briefs ??:rolleyes:

tennis4losers
01-27-2006, 09:44 PM
tiger balm. smells really bad but it works

morten
01-28-2006, 12:53 AM
you are like Rios, he had the same problem. IMO one reason why he never won a major.

louis netman
04-28-2006, 09:05 AM

Although compression shorts are better than regular underwear, you should get a pair of neoprene thigh braces from your local sporting goods retailer. Pull them up as high as you can (you can even fold them over for more support) as they offer alot more support than compression shorts. You may also want to invest in a few pairs cause they become saturated with perspiration and may become somewhat offensive in social situations after intensive play. ;-) They fare well with a water "rinseout" after each use...

The Pusher Terminator
04-29-2006, 02:50 AM
Although compression shorts are better than regular underwear, you should get a pair of neoprene thigh braces from your local sporting goods retailer. Pull them up as high as you can (you can even fold them over for more support) as they offer alot more support than compression shorts. You may also want to invest in a few pairs cause they become saturated with perspiration and may become somewhat offensive in social situations after intensive play. ;-) They fare well with a water "rinseout" after each use...

Those thigh braces always seem to fall off. I will try folding ten over. Maybe that will work. But what I have found completely awesome is grass court sneakers! I wear grass court sneakers on clay. The pimples on the bottom completely stop you from sliding on the clay thus there is no aggravation of the groin! I think I have found a solution here!

louis netman
05-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Those thigh braces always seem to fall off. I will try folding ten over. Maybe that will work.

get the next smallest size and work a bit harder to get them in place...try folding before pulling up...

Ronaldo
05-02-2006, 07:19 PM
What is a thigh brace?

Ronaldo
05-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Has anyone tried using a stretcher to aid flexibility? Versaflex Leg Stretcher
http://www.karatedepot.com/stretchingequipment.html

louis netman
05-03-2006, 09:21 PM
What is a thigh brace?

Imagine wearing a wet suit, but cut all the material of your body and leave just 3/4 of the thigh area... An effective thigh brace will fit alot more snugly, however...

Hey Ronaldo, what happened to that ball charger? I never heard back from you...

Rickson
05-03-2006, 09:45 PM
I pull a groin muscle, can't play, so I lay off til no more pain. I stretch, warm up carefully, everything is all right for a few weeks, then I pull it again and lay off until it feels good. My question is, is there a product I can use while playing, such as a neoprene wrap, or even an ace bandage that would help end this cycle?
If you're constantly straining your groin, you're not giving yourself enough recovery time. Stop that stupid stretching because you're only making it worse; strained muscles should never be stretched. Give yourself at least a few weeks to recover and possibly more time than that. Injuries take time to heal and if you rush the healing process, you'll not only aggravate the injury, you might wind up with a hernia. You're straining a very vulnerable area so unless you don't mind going through surgery that will incapacitate you for several weeks and is extremely painful as well, give yourself more recovery time. Trust me, not playing tennis for a few weeks is extremely petty compared to hernia surgery.

The Pusher Terminator
05-04-2006, 07:07 AM
If you're constantly straining your groin, you're not giving yourself enough recovery time. Stop that stupid stretching because you're only making it worse; strained muscles should never be stretched. Give yourself at least a few weeks to recover and possibly more time than that. Injuries take time to heal and if you rush the healing process, you'll not only aggravate the injury, you might wind up with a hernia. You're straining a very vulnerable area so unless you don't mind going through surgery that will incapacitate you for several weeks and is extremely painful as well, give yourself more recovery time. Trust me, not playing tennis for a few weeks is extremely petty compared to hernia surgery.

Absolutely right!!! I pulled my groin in January and I am still recovering. I remember when I pulled it I had asked everyone how long I would be out. Some people said 3 days others said about a month. I did my own research and I found out that there is no answer...it all depends how bad you pulled it or even worse Tore it!!!

In the first couple of weeks Ibuprofen and Ice helps and even humid compress'. But if its still not ok then: GO TO PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!!!! Its the only thing that works. I have completely stopped playing and after 4 months I am back to about 90%. DO NOT PLAY...YOU ARE IN HUGE DANGER......YOU MAY NEVER PLAY AGAIN IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL!!!!

Ronaldo
05-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Imagine wearing a wet suit, but cut all the material of your body and leave just 3/4 of the thigh area... An effective thigh brace will fit alot more snugly, however...

Hey Ronaldo, what happened to that ball charger? I never heard back from you...

Looking at it now, still need an appropriate box to ship it.

louis netman
05-04-2006, 09:53 PM
DO NOT PLAY...YOU ARE IN HUGE DANGER......YOU MAY NEVER PLAY AGAIN IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL!!!!