PDA

View Full Version : just searched all posts on Xcel and...

tennisfreak15347
07-21-2008, 04:52 PM
I didn't get too much out of the 2008 posts. In the 2005-2007 posts, there was alot of complaining about the Xcel premium on how it died fast and had terrible durability ontop of a giant tension loss. There didnt seem to be as much in the 2008 posts, so i was wondering... is there really that much of a difference in the 2008 one? I don't want the string to die fast or lose too much tension since I restring only once every 4 months. I play roughly 6-7 hours a week.

Valjean
07-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Yes, there is; as the new 2008 label now announces it has been re-engineered for enhanced durability, and that translates to better tension-holding. But if you have been nonetheless frightened off by its former reputation, then by all means try Wilson's NXT *Max* instead, which is its model.

Richie Rich
07-21-2008, 06:14 PM
your take on the older excel is correct. it was a substandard multi, compared to others in it's price range. haven't tried the new version.

what are you using now that lasts you 110+ hours that you don't like?

what are you looking for in a string?

tennisfreak15347
07-21-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm looking for a good multi that can last 110+ hours, basically. The string can have average durability, since I'm not much of a string breaker. I'm okay with average power, since I don't want it to be too powerful like the X-one. I'm looking for a string that has better tension maintenance than Wilson Sensation strings, which shouldnt be too hard to find. Lastly, It cannot die too fast.

XxduckxX
07-21-2008, 06:30 PM
For strings to last 4 months I heard NG was a good choice

Valjean
07-21-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm looking for a good multi that can last 110+ hours, basically. The string can have average durability, since I'm not much of a string breaker. I'm okay with average power, since I don't want it to be too powerful like the X-one. I'm looking for a string that has better tension maintenance than Wilson Sensation strings, which shouldnt be too hard to find. Lastly, It cannot die too fast.
With those modest needs, you can try out Tecnifibre's Multifeel and Prince's Synthetic Gut Multifilament, in that order, and expect to be reasonably fulfilled.

Here's their playtests:

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2006/02/tecnifibre_multifeel_16.html

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2007/01/prince_synthetic_gut_multifila.html

tennisfreak15347
07-22-2008, 06:20 AM
thanks Valjean