PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing Problems with Frame

joletzring
07-21-2008, 06:20 PM
I hear people on this board talk a lot about cracked racquet frames or frames that have lost their integrity in some way. I was just wondering how you check for this prior to stringing a frame. Are cracks obvious? Where are they usually located? How big are they, etc.? I was just wondering how close you have to look at the racquet to see such a thing and what exactly to look for (as opposed to just scratches that occur from scraping a racquet on a hard court for example). Perhaps some pictures of frames with cracks would help. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks-

tennisfreak15347
07-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I've seen people post cracks in their frames before, and they're pretty obvious. Usually located in the top half of the loop. Most of them can be identified when searched for cracks

joletzring
07-22-2008, 07:55 AM
I have another question about this. Can you crack/deform/or otherwise hurt a racquet by cutting the strings out of the racquet while it is mounted. I noticed someone do this at sports authority--it looked like they made a mistake and had to cut out the strings and start over so they just left the racquet mounted and cut the strings out. Does that damage the racquet?

Loco4Tennis
07-22-2008, 08:19 AM
IMO the reason for proper string removal is to reduse the deformation of the racquet when string tensions is released
more of an issue with soft frame racquets, like racquets that have more alluminum materials in them,
graphite and such are IMO hard frame racquets and could withstand a little more abuse, but put enough pressure on the wrong angle and these too will snap as several people have mentioned; they left the mains strung up and walked away, only to come back to a racquet that snapped i half while still on the string machine
soft frame racquets get dents in the frame very easy, either by hitting them on the ground or by dropping them or could even be by releasing tension too quickly, anyway, earn to properly cut strings, yulittle posted a really good method for home struingers, imo seriously the best method, its the one where the tension is released in a circular clockswise method

Fedace
07-22-2008, 08:21 AM
I really think it is impossible to tell if the frame is cracked if it is like a Hair-line crack,,,just by looking at it.. i have Yonex RQIS tour-2 and it has few hairline like crack and i Can't tell if this is just in the paint or in the graphite as well. this is just very difficult. Does anyone else have a Better way ???

Loco4Tennis
07-22-2008, 08:30 AM
I hear people on this board talk a lot about cracked racquet frames or frames that have lost their integrity in some way. I was just wondering how you check for this prior to stringing a frame. Are cracks obvious? Where are they usually located? How big are they, etc.? I was just wondering how close you have to look at the racquet to see such a thing and what exactly to look for (as opposed to just scratches that occur from scraping a racquet on a hard court for example). Perhaps some pictures of frames with cracks would help. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks-

to answer your question here,
when ever i get asked to string someone elses frame, i check for cracks and dents by running my fingers on the inside of the frame, looking at the frame closely will reveal cracks that would affect the stringing process, cracks that are under the bumperguard would not be easy to spot, i dont think you can do anything with does
if i see a crack or dent, i let the person know right away and advise against possible further damage when pressure is placed on that section while stringing
by doing so i let the person make the decision