PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid question

roddick_rulz
07-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I've been using the luxillon alu power rough for quite a while and i just recently tried natural gut. I like both strings and figured that I mine as well making a hybrid of the two. The only problem is that I'm not sure whether I should put the natural gut on the mains or the crosses. What are the advantages of putting the natural gut on the mains and what are the advantages of putting it on the crosses?
Thanks in advance.

07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I've been using the luxillon alu power rough for quite a while and i just recently tried natural gut. I like both strings and figured that I mine as well making a hybrid of the two. The only problem is that I'm not sure whether I should put the natural gut on the mains or the crosses. What are the advantages of putting the natural gut on the mains and what are the advantages of putting it on the crosses?
Thanks in advance.

gut should last longer in the crosses so u don't break as soon and many believe it will soften the bed and add power, controlled by the poly mains, which should amplify spin better as mains. This set up seems attractive to me as it should lend itself to the lower tension of the 2, (I think anyway.)

I'm sure there are those who understand this better, but lux in my mains allows me to lower the tension since the are short and poly, and the softer strings in the long mains allow me to use higher tension in the softer string. Since mains break first usually, this hybrid breaks pretty much around when the lux strings are going dead anyway, preventing me from playing this setup too long. The control and spin have been excellent for me. When I try Blue Gear, I will try it in the mains to see if this adds spin potential for me over having it in the crosses.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
07-21-2008, 09:29 PM
playability > Durability
i say go with gut mains

roddick_rulz
07-23-2008, 07:33 AM
If I'm looking for more control which set up would be better?

hoodjem
07-23-2008, 07:53 AM
This is a tough call.

More control: thin gauge poly in mains, thicker gauge gut in the crosses.
More touch and feel: gut in the mains, poly in the crosses.

(I am hoping to try it both ways in the near future.)